Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What if Sanchez has great year.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ekill08x


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 8532
Location: Patchogue, New York
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, we cant even afford to cut him. The free agents QBs are even worse. Hopefully we can bring someone in after some roster cuts and just have Mark inactive every week. Sit the bench, and either renegotiate your contract to make 2nd string money or good luck finding a spot somewhere else. Im sure Mark really is a cool guy and the players like him alot, which is why they always defend him, but our receivers body language during the game tells it all. Maybe give the CFL a try.
_________________

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
GangGreen420


Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 2560
Location: FL
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I look at it now is obviously Sanchez is toast. He's not a starter, and he won't be. We took a chance on a possible franchise guy at #39 and the staff has 16 games and camp etc to determine if he can be our long term guy. If he's not, then we don't have a huge financial commitment. Assuming we are in position to nab a QB next year (which I imagine we will if Geno isn't any good or shows little promise).

I don't know where Rex Ryan fits into this plan, assuming this is how it goes down, id assume he is fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jimbo1904


Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 2296
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally the butt fumble makes sense!!!

Sanchez was simply filming a silent film and acting like a QB. Case closed...


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22597141/video-the-mark-sanchez-butt-fumble-is-now-a-silent-film
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
perikirest


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 1577
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That honestly may have been the dumbest thing ive ever seen.
_________________


AAJ Mark Sanchez
1 Torn Labrum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kilahchris


Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 491
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
The way I look at it now is obviously Sanchez is toast. He's not a starter, and he won't be. We took a chance on a possible franchise guy at #39 and the staff has 16 games and camp etc to determine if he can be our long term guy. If he's not, then we don't have a huge financial commitment. Assuming we are in position to nab a QB next year (which I imagine we will if Geno isn't any good or shows little promise).

I don't know where Rex Ryan fits into this plan, assuming this is how it goes down, id assume he is fired.


Rex Ryan is in a make or break year. I am not sure if he feels comfortable putting Geno Smith in there Day 1. Most likely it will be Mark Starting Day 1 and if by Game 4 Mark is still a bust then Rex will go into panic mode and put Geno Smith out there.
_________________
The Best that ever did it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davey


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21268
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that bothers me about making this essentially a make-or-break year for Rex Ryan is that if we are committed to Geno Smith and we do fire Rex Ryan for whatever reason after this season, Marty Mornhinweg probably goes too as new coaches like to bring in their own staff. And rather than have a system that Smith can get comfortable with and master over a number of years, his rookie season in some ways becomes a lost year because he's got to learn an entire new offense again and start over. There are many ways to mess up a quarterback's development, lets not trade the Sanchez mistakes for new mistakes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
jetskid007


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 7701
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
The one thing that bothers me about making this essentially a make-or-break year for Rex Ryan is that if we are committed to Geno Smith and we do fire Rex Ryan for whatever reason after this season, Marty Mornhinweg probably goes too as new coaches like to bring in their own staff. And rather than have a system that Smith can get comfortable with and master over a number of years, his rookie season in some ways becomes a lost year because he's got to learn an entire new offense again and start over. There are many ways to mess up a quarterback's development, lets not trade the Sanchez mistakes for new mistakes.


I need to find the report, but I read somewhere that people within the organization don't believe Mornhinweg's fate is tied to Ryan.

Ultimately I feel like the best case scenario for all parties would be to have Rex stay. Has he proven to be a genius of a coach? No, those coaches are rare to come by. However, his defenses have always been top 10 worthy and up until 2012 he's coached a competitive ball club. Rex's problem was that he didn't emphasize offense enough; last year he did and look what happened. If the Jets are smitten with having a OC that has full control of the offense, it could be very good for this team going forward. Furthermore, if Mornhinweg can get this offense straightened out, we won't be that bad of a team.

2012 was a disaster for a variety of reasons, but I still feel the main issue was injury and lack of talent. You can go threw every "what if" scenario and it's not going to change a thing, but if we didn't lose Revis or Holmes I feel like there's a much better chance we would've ended better than we did. That New England game was so unlucky and so demoralizing in so many ways that I feel it simply wrecked the entire football team off track.

I'm not saying that the Jets are currently a playoff caliber team, but I think they aren't far from it with the current staff in place. We're going to have money and draft picks next offseason, so allowing our foundation to further "gel" in 2013 with little expectation could go a long way. If the Jets do worse than 6 wins, firing Rex makes sense, but any better I don't think it would be the right move.
_________________

New York Sack Exchange Redux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 6633
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mornhinweg might be what Wade Phillips is for the Texans. They were almost similar to us but their offense was up and their defense was down. Wade came in and changed it. Maybe Marty can do the same for us with Ivory, Winslow, Kerley, and Holmes.

With Lee & Monrhinweg on staff, I feel pretty confident that they'll be able to improve Sanchez or have Geno ready to be at least a decent QB. Marty actually has probowl QB's on his resume unlike Sparano. I wouldn't be shocked if Sanchez have a solid year because of the system.
_________________

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetskid007


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 7701
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we haven't really talked about yet is receivers.

Mark Sanchez deserves a huge chunk of blame when it comes to his career at this point, but I never really took the time to look at some of the receivers he's had since he got here...

2009 - Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery
2010 - Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery
2011 - Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress
2012 - Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill

It honestly has been a joke how the Jets have handled this position over the years. We all know Sanchez isn't going to be the QB who "makes" the playmaker, but come on... a lot of this season really does depend on how much Stephen Hill can progress in year 2. If he can jump into the top 20 conversation, I think the Jets (and maybe even Sanchez) can be saved.

Many will laugh at that last sentence, but it's still possible. I'll admit I don't see it as something that is probable, but go look up Brandon Marshall. It's possible. Personally, I believe he'll be a slow developer in the mold of Vincent Jackson/Demaryius Thomas, but he's in the right system to make some noise this year (at the very least I see MM being able to utilize his skills a little more). Lets all hope he does.
_________________

New York Sack Exchange Redux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 6633
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think things would have been different if we kept Braylon the first time. Sanchez does deserve a lot of the blame, but every QB we wish Sanchez was has had weapons brought in around him and kept to build chemistry with. We lost all of our good players and didn't replace them with talent.



I'm praying we don't do the same to Geno if he was to become the starter.
_________________

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davey


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21268
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jets made things really difficult for Sanchez, but especially last year, Sanchez dug his own grave. There came a point last season where everything just fell apart for him mentally and he just looked like a lost player, making mistakes that would embarrass the rookie 2009 Sanchez.

Perhaps he would have kept it together if the Jets gave him more consistent support, but he took the hardships the Jets gave him and rode them into a whole other level of poor play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ekill08x


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 8532
Location: Patchogue, New York
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
The Jets made things really difficult for Sanchez, but especially last year, Sanchez dug his own grave. There came a point last season where everything just fell apart for him mentally and he just looked like a lost player, making mistakes that would embarrass the rookie 2009 Sanchez.

Perhaps he would have kept it together if the Jets gave him more consistent support, but he took the hardships the Jets gave him and rode them into a whole other level of poor play.


I agree, we've never quite made it easy for this kid, but at the same time, if he truly is that mentally weak, hes chosen the wrong career and would never make it even if we'd made it easy. At some point Mark Sanchez was going to have to deal with hardship down the road, and the truth is he just isn't mentally tough enough to be a successful professional athlete.
_________________

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
jg6041


Joined: 24 Mar 2006
Posts: 3965
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Davey wrote:
The Jets made things really difficult for Sanchez, but especially last year, Sanchez dug his own grave. There came a point last season where everything just fell apart for him mentally and he just looked like a lost player, making mistakes that would embarrass the rookie 2009 Sanchez.

Perhaps he would have kept it together if the Jets gave him more consistent support, but he took the hardships the Jets gave him and rode them into a whole other level of poor play.


I agree, we've never quite made it easy for this kid, but at the same time, if he truly is that mentally weak, hes chosen the wrong career and would never make it even if we'd made it easy. At some point Mark Sanchez was going to have to deal with hardship down the road, and the truth is he just isn't mentally tough enough to be a successful professional athlete.


I always remember Mike Francesa saying with some QBs at first you love them, then everyone says they cannot play and need to go, then they mature and have success.
There are tons of examples I hope we can add Sanchez to that list. Just as a Jet fan. His personality is not for me personally, too bad McElroy was not better I find him funny.
_________________
green24 wrote:
mikemart wrote:
I saw someone in an Urlacher jersey and a Dolphins hat today.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kilahchris


Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 491
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some Quaterbacks I consider to be late bloomers. Joe Flacco and Alex Smith comes to mind.

However, Mark has regressed so badly in the last year I cannot see him playing on the level of those QB.

If sanchez in 2013 can throw for 3600 yds with a 59 percentage completion pct
in the tune of 27 TD and 16 Int I would say that is blessing at this point.

Mark Sanchez has reached his ceiling, he really was not that impressive coming out one year at USC. 5 Years later I see what Mel Kiper and many other scouts where warning all of us about with Mark Sanchez. His accuracy sucks, his reads and progressions are inconsistent. He constantly looks for the check down instead of moving around in the pocket and allowing some of receivers to get open. Last year he had to lead the league in fumbles.

That right there shows a lack of mental concentration and awareness! His mind is what holds him back.
_________________
The Best that ever did it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group