Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Barry Cofield is a better NT than you think...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Barry Cofield is a better NT than you think... Reply with quote

@HogsHaven: #Redskins All-22 Film Review: Barry Cofield (Via @UkRedskin1) http://t.co/MnRIqm7q6I

All-22 Film on Barry Cofield.

Like most of us the writers thoughts of Cofield when he was writing this article was that he was an ok but he could be upgraded. After doing the research though, his opinion has changed and so has mine to be honest.

1. Cofield's has great awareness on the field. He is also good at play recognition.

2. He is our best defensive lineman at recognizing play action fakes and changing down the Qb after he disengages from his blockers.

3. He is able to occupy two blockers at the point of attack. This allows others in the front 7 to go one on one with a defender in the run game or even others will go without being blocked. This allows others in the front 7 to be free to make the plays. Being able to do this is one of the keys to being a good nose tackle.

4. When being double teamed in the run and pass game he even has the moves to disengage from his two blockers to make plays and get pressure on the Qb, bat passes down or run down running backs in the run game. He is well versed in the swim move and the club to get away from blockers.

5. As a pass rusher, nose tackles rarely get a lot of sacks, but they usually occupy two blockers to free up other pass rushers to get to the Qb. This is something that Cofield does well. He only managed 3 sacks on the season but as I've stated, his presence is felt by offensive lines and qbs even if he doesn't get a sack. He and Bowen work well together on stunts but as a tandem they work well to get pressure on qbs.

At this point, Cofield is better as a pass rushing NT than a run stuffing nose tackle. He and Bowen work well together. If Jenkins can continue to develop well at LDE and Orakpo has a successful return, this front 7 can be very good in 2013-14.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question I supported their efforts to mold him into the role from Day One. There were many doubters though, true..

I remember someone who kept harping on draft picks they wanted so much more and wanted to move Cofield back to DE so bad.... while I kept saying give it time Rolling Eyes
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Question I supported their efforts to mold him into the role from Day One. There were many doubters though, true..

I remember someone who kept harping on draft picks they wanted so much more and wanted to move Cofield back to DE so bad.... while I kept saying give it time Rolling Eyes
It still wouldnt be a bad move on run downs, but Cofield has been a good NT for us.

More beef the better on run downs. IMO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ktizzzlee21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Cofield, he's an above average NT. A lil' overpaid but NT is one the most important positions for a 3-4 defense. He is getting up there in age tho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

It still wouldnt be a bad move on run downs, but Cofield has been a good NT for us.

It's a compromise. You want a fat plug who won't offer more consistent pressure, or you want a more athletic DT who can make the QB run for his life when he and the other Dline are shedding blocks? Obviously with the addition of Kerrigan, Bowens and Jenkins (and Jenkins) they are going for guys who can create Havoc instead of plugs.

Pressuring the QB has been the obvious direction they have strived for with their additions, and I'm all for it. I'd rather see that than a bunch of fat guys who can't get upfield and give the QB all day, even if occasionally they collapse the middle.

I see where you are coming from though. The loss of Carriker may also hurt, because with him and Kerrigan on the Right side our run D should have been ok, but will suffer some with our smaller Dline.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

It's a compromise. You want a fat plug who won't offer more consistent pressure, or you want a more athletic DT who can make the QB run for his life when he and the other Dline are shedding blocks? Obviously with the addition of Kerrigan, Bowens and Jenkins (and Jenkins) they are going for guys who can create Havoc instead of plugs.

Pressuring the QB has been the obvious direction they have strived for with their additions, and I'm all for it. I'd rather see that than a bunch of fat guys who can't get upfield and give the QB all day, even if occasionally they collapse the middle.

I see where you are coming from though. The loss of Carriker may also hurt, because with him and Kerrigan on the Right side our run D should have been ok, but will suffer some with our smaller Dline.

Can't we have both? That's what I've always wanted. Keep the guys we have just add 1 true 330 LB + guy through the draft to stuff the run on first downs and short yardage.

I like Cofield, always have. I just always thought they could use a 330 LB + run stuffer. Cofield has done better at NT than I ever thought he would when we first signed him. Both E and I thought we overpaid for him and for Bowen and putting Cofield at NT was a mistake when we signed him, but I will admit for myself, I was wrong.

I doubt it happens, but I wouldn't mind seeing a big body like Ron Brace (if he makes the team) or Chris Baker, play NT on run downs and Cofield plays on the end. Then, they bring the run stuffing NT off the field and Jenkins or a pass rusher comes in on passing situations.

Again, doubt it happens but I've always wanted a big fatty run plugger so teams could never run on us. On 1st, we'd have Cofield at end, then we could use Cofield at NT on 2nd and 3rd downs if the distance was 5+ yards.

I've acknowledged that Cofield is a good since about mid way though his 1st season here. That still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have seen the team draft a run plugger to develop in the mid rounds the past two drafts.
DCRED

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

I doubt it happens, but I wouldn't mind seeing a big body like Ron Brace (if he makes the team) or Chris Baker, play NT on run downs and Cofield plays on the end. Then, they bring the run stuffing NT off the field and Jenkins or a pass rusher comes in on passing situations.

Again, doubt it happens but I've always wanted a big fatty run plugger so teams could never run on us. On 1st, we'd have Cofield at end, then we could use Cofield at NT on 2nd and 3rd downs if the distance was 5+ yards.

I've acknowledged that Cofield is a good since about mid way though his 1st season here. That still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have seen the team draft a run plugger to develop in the mid rounds the past two drafts.

I hope you are on to something there, for an added dimension and to keep Cofield fresh so he can keep playing like he does

Well they have tried to get big bodies on the field (Nield, Baker) but even with the big-boys they stress penetration over tying people up in the run game. Even if they got the plug you want they would probably play him different than you want

Those guys aren't small, and you keep hearing the staff talk about how they need to get upfield and explode into the backfield not hang around the line and tie people up
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

]It still wouldnt be a bad move on run downs, but Cofield has been a good NT for us.

Hey did you hear they were trying Baker at DE some? How would you like it if we put TWO Fat Men on the Line at End with Cofield in the middle?
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

]It still wouldnt be a bad move on run downs, but Cofield has been a good NT for us.

Hey did you hear they were trying Baker at DE some? How would you like it if we put TWO Fat Men on the Line at End with Cofield in the middle?
sounds good buddy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: