Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PoWww's Training Camp Battles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoWww

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: PoWww's Training Camp Battles Reply with quote

So I figured this forum could use some discussion. Obviously right now things seem to be slow around here because there's not much to discuss(other than Aaron Hernandez). I thought it might be cool to share my opinions on some of the players that are battling for roster spots or positions this summer. Feel free to discuss your thoughts and if you agree/disagree with my opinion!

The first training camp battle I'd like to discuss is....

Brandon Bolden vs. Legarrette Blount

Bolden, an undrafted free agent out of Ole Miss, surprised most by cracking the Patriots roster last season. His rookie season was nothing special, but he did show flashes that he could be a good running back against Buffalo in Week 4. After his suspension, he didn't show much and seemed to be in BB's dog house. He was also a core ST's player last season so that betters his chances of making the team.

Everyone know's about the headcase Legarrette Blount. He's a big back who has shown potential at times. Before Doug Martin came along, he lead all rookies in rushing yards his rookie season and also rushed for 780 yards the following season. He's not much of a power back despite his size, and also brings virtually nothing as a receiver.

What I think happens: I think we carry 4 RB's(Ridley, Vereen, Washington, and Bolden). Bolden brings more to the table. I'm not a big fan of Blounts. Like I said, he's not much of a bruiser. If he was, he would be a great goaline back with his size. Bolden can play special teams, is a better power back, and is a better receiver(which is important to the Patriots). Blount will give Bolden some competition in camp, but when all is said and done, I think Bolden is the one who wins this battle.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they both could make it. I'm not convinced Washington is as much of a lock as most seem to make him out to be and it's also possible the team could carry 5 RB's.

With Washington, his making the team hinges on his KR ability. I don't think he has enough left as a RB to guarantee himself a spot, especially with Vereen's skillset which overlaps quite a bit. If someone can beat out Washington as a KR (or show to be almost as useful), I don't think he will make the roster.

If they're using a lot of 2 back sets, or have both Ridley/Vereen on the field at the same time, I suspect a 5 RB roster is possible - especially if Bolden can prove his worth on special teams (back up returner, playing on coverage units etc).
jofos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Bolden not been suspended I think he would have had a pretty good year. I'm still not sure why the trade for Blount was made. Blount is a little faster. When its all said and done I think Blount's 9 fumbles with 6 of those being lost fumbles will keep him from making the team. I actually wanted the Patriots to sign him as an undrafted FA but Blount hasn't shown me enough to say that he should make the team.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jofos wrote:
I'm still not sure why the trade for Blount was made.

Getting a possibly useful backup RB for almost nothing (Demps) is decent value, even if Blount doesn't make the roster.

Plus, it's not like their RB group is teeming with depth. One camp injury to Ridley and the Pats depth chart is a mess - especially if they're planning on using Vereen as a multi-purpose weapon.

I'd also throw George Winn's name into the mix as the possible #4/5 RB. It's likely he's just practice squad type fodder, but he has a nice skillset for the Pats' scheme and he's probably the best blitz blocker (based on what he showed at college) on the roster. I think he has a real shot to surprise people at camp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: