Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roethlisberger earns most of monster deal in history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Roethlisberger earns most of monster deal in history Reply with quote

Hard to title this thread. The basic point is, 16 guys have signed deals with an overall value exceeding $100 million. Of those, Roethlisberger has now actually banked more of his deal than any other player in NFL history.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/71888/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-to-crack-70-million-threshold

The past all-time holder was McNabb. The point is that most guys who sign mega deals in the NFL either end up getting cut or extended before those contracts are up.

There is a topic in the main forum on Mike Wallace that I thought this was related to. Everyone keeps talking about how it was a better deal money wise in Miami, but that is a dubious statement at best. I don't know of many teams with a better track record at honoring contracts than the Steelers. Their deals are usually low on fluff and structured in a way fair to the player. There's no study to cite, but I would wager the team has fewer cap casualties than most teams.

If Wallace had signed a year earlier for the 5 yr, 50 mil deal rumored to have been offered, its entirely possible he ends up banking more. Its also possible, if not likely he would have had more career stability and increased his chances of getting a third contract.

Of course, we all know now that Wallace also wanted to play in warm weather closer to home. I'm of the opinion that Wallace was extremely short sighed and will end up screwing himself. I'm also sort of glad he didn't sign, as I think you can get more bang for you buck than paying Wallace 10 mil a year.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a great topic and that's for bringing to my attention. It just goes to show you the steelers are smarter with their $ than most other teams. Big Ben has certainly earned his contract and I'm happy for him and Steelers Nation that the team did the correct thing in locking him up long term.

It's a great point that the steelers 9 times out of 10 give the big contracts to the right guys and those guys earn those contracts even after they get them. Just goes to show you why this franchise is considered one of the best run, if not the best run in the entire NFL.

I also totally agree with what you said about Wallace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's awesome. He probably earned so much due to the fact that he has lead the steelers to dominate the afc north, with so many wins and playoff games and ofcourse super bowl appearances and wins...along with great stats....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: