Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sullying up the 6th round
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck44

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I wonder how many people still here were the ones complaining about how small Sullivan was, how he had no power or leverage, and never was going to amount to anything because of those things. I remember that common refrain.

He was too small and weak his first couple years.. looked how he played..he worked hard in the weight room and got stronger and bigger and now he is an all pro center...i dont see your point in calling people out...he was what people said he was first 2 years
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but some also did say at the time he was a waste of a pick and we made a mistake in letting Birk go.

neither appears to be true. Sullivan was one of Spielman's first Yute situations, where it hurts to see the established veteran allowed to move on and it takes patience to accept the new guy, but in the end it was a smart move.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tomorrow, Amplatz Children's Hospital opens John Sullivan Playground, named after #Vikings center who donated $150K to project. Very cool.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Minnesota's Amplatz Children's Hospital announced that they were building a new $200,000 playground for the children that are there, and Sullivan contributed $150,000 of the funds for it. (Linebacker Chad Greenway donated $25,000, and the Vikings' Children's Fund contributed the remaining $25,000.)

According to the press release sent out by the team, the playground will have all of the following:

* Swaying benches provide a place for parents and children to relax and take in the fresh air.
* Large motor skills equipment like a climbing net gives patients' siblings a place to blow off steam.
* A "talk tube" allows children on the ground to communicate with playmates on the structure's upper deck.
* A large umbrella provides shade for kids whose treatments make them sensitive to the sun.
* A cushioned, porous surface makes it easier for children using walkers or wheelchairs to navigate the playground.
* And because some children at Amplatz must be hooked up to IVs constantly, the playground features a custom roller slide that allows kids to climb up and slide down without getting tangled up in the equipment.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/6/4/4394694/sullivan-playground-to-open-on-wednesday

Webmaster wrote:
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
disaacs wrote:
I wonder how many people still here were the ones complaining about how small Sullivan was, how he had no power or leverage, and never was going to amount to anything because of those things. I remember that common refrain.

He was too small and weak his first couple years.. looked how he played..he worked hard in the weight room and got stronger and bigger and now he is an all pro center...i dont see your point in calling people out...he was what people said he was first 2 years

I remember the over-reactions as well. The guy was a 6th rounder, who was forced to start in his second year (I believe) when Birk left. He was coming off both a calf injury and hernia and hadn't fully recovered. Of course he struggled. The problem was so many fans had unrealistic expectations.
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
but some also did say at the time he was a waste of a pick and we made a mistake in letting Birk go.

neither appears to be true. Sullivan was one of Spielman's first Yute situations, where it hurts to see the established veteran allowed to move on and it takes patience to accept the new guy, but in the end it was a smart move.

Didn't Birk choose to leave? I remember hearing rumors he didn't like Childress.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake Plissken wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Didn't Birk choose to leave? I remember hearing rumors he didn't like Childress.

I don't think many players did...he just had the ability to leave because he was a F.A.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I don't think many players did...he just had the ability to leave because he was a F.A.

Yes. I thought Birk chose to leave(when he had many reason to stay in Minnesota) rather than us letting him go. I believe he took less money from BAL.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sullivan in his first two years starting was much worse then the last two years starting. At one point, fans argued a need for a Center to replace Sullivan (i believe that was in 2010), he has really become a really good player.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Sullivan in his first two years starting was much worse then the last two years starting. At one point, fans argued a need for a Center to replace Sullivan (i believe that was in 2010), he has really become a really good player.

Hopefully Fusco can make the same improvement
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake Plissken wrote:
I thought Birk chose to leave(when he had many reason to stay in Minnesota) rather than us letting him go. I believe he took less money from BAL.

this is all i could find on it:

March 5, 2009

Birk's contract is worth $12 million over four years, sources told ESPN.com, with $6 million of the deal guaranteed. Birk will receive $9 million in the first two years of the deal, which is believed to be similar to the one offered by the Vikings. Birk and his wife, Adrianna, visited with Ravens officials on Tuesday evening. Birk then spent most of Wednesday deliberating over the two offers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3952875

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier: “We’ve still got to see a little more progress out of John Sullivan. He’s making progress. But we want to continue to see that. You just want to see him continue to gain confidence and not be worried about the surgery but just move on. And he’s making progress. From everything that Eric Sugarman tells me, he’s on target. He’s moving in the right direction. And we’ve got enough time for him to continue to improve. Hopefully when we get started, he’ll be able to go full go right away.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/211270051.html

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sullivan: "Being on the sidelines during OTAs sucks. It's not fun, you're rehabbing the entire time. The last place you want to be is on the sidelines with Eric Sugarman! He's incredibly good at his job but they beat you up on the sidelines the entire time. They're making sure you're working hard. It's hard to answer [whether I'll be ready for training camp.] We're getting better each and every week, each and every day. I just don't want to put a time frame on it, we're taking it one day at a time. I promise, I am doing absolutely everything I can to be ready for that [week one] game in Detroit."

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=11392287#ixzz2WDW3UTWa

Webmaster wrote:
Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article on Grantland naming John Sullivan to its All-22 All-Star Team.
Quote:
"In Darrell Bevell’s old offense, Sullivan says, the blocking scheme was concerned with every potential choice individual defenders could make. As a center, he’d place a hand on a backside defensive tackle, check for a slanting 3-technique, and try to work his way up to a linebacker — all on a single play. Imagine a hitter trying to hit three different pitches, at different points in the strike zone, at the same time. With Davidson and new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, the approach was defined by a single mantra — attack. Every offense has certain keys in a given game plan, but Sullivan says Minnesota’s new system didn’t “sacrifice being aggressive in order to have all our bases covered.”

“If a defense guesses right, if they slant and a guy’s not covered, hats off to them,” Sullivan says. “But we’re going to kick your [inappropriate/removed] every other time.”"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: