Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who Starts At Safety Spots?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
33GoBroncos33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us can agree Moore will be a starter. After all, he did play the most snaps of any defensive player last season and was very solid all year long. One poor play in the playoffs does not negate solid play over a full season.

That brings us to the second and third safties. Mike Adams was a very solid player against the run last year, but, as was very obvious early in the year, he was a liability in defending the pass. The Broncos did a very good job of adjusting his role after the first three or four weeks and he finished the season much stronger than he started it. That being said, I believe Quinton Jammer can be just as effecitive in run support and much better in coverage.

Jim Leonard was often brought in to cover tight ends last season. The big problem with that wasn't his physical ability to stay with them, but rather his size. At 5'9", Leondard gave up a lot of size to every single tight end he faced. People sure do remember the deep ball Moore gave up for a touchdown at the end of regulation in the playoffs, but few talk about the play Pitta made in very tight coverage over Leonard in overtime. The Broncos had the Ravens pushed back on their own three yard line and the down was 3rd with 13 yards to go. Leonard just about blanketed Pitta as well as anyone could, but his size disadvantage led to Pitta grabbing the pass over Leonard's head and continuing the game winning drive.

Even with that one play put aside, the Broncos biggest weakness defensively was covering opposing tight ends. I believe Jammer will start, due to his physical style and man coverage abilities, along side Moore if he proves capable in run support. Although Jammer may start in base packages, many on this forum have pointed out that the Broncos played more sub packages than base last season. In that case, I still believe they will lean towards only using two safties this season.... That is, unless Quinton Carter proves capable coming back from injury.

I think Mike Adams will be cut. He just isn't good enough in coverage to earn enough playing time for his pay grade. David Bruton did get much more playing time on the defense last season, and, while his best efforts will still come on special teams, he has a chance to earn playing time in special nickle and dime packages. That being said, I think Quinton Carter will step in as the third safety in most situations; that is assuming he regains his pre-injury form.

Safety will be a fun position to watch all season long. I am looking forward to Jammer finishing the year with a better stat line than the highly touted Charles Woodson. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: