Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Run for your Life - Steeler Running game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
The issue with Dwyer is him tapping himself out of games. I've seen him explain it away as people focusing on him, or him doing it more obviously than others. I think that's bull. A guy can weigh and even look the same, though, and have better conditioning. Or one guy can just be tougher. Bettis had a weight issue, but he had more talent and played on different teams on top of some other obvious things.

I don't buy the story on him being out of shape right now, though. They have him atop the depth chart, and if you look at him he appears lighter. Does he have a bit of belly still? Yes, but its not as bad in the past and Turtle has a point that it is simply his body type. The question is whether he is in shape to carry the ball and stay in the game when the team needs him. He couldn't do that last year. If the coaches are keeping him in and counting him as the starter, that tells me he has improved from past efforts. He probably knows the offense better, too.

Did anyone expect Dwyer to suddenly come in and look ripped?

And throwing all of that aside, cutting him would seem to just be more about proving a point than improving the roster.

I expected Dwyer to use the last 120 days to diet, eat right and work out. Not come in like he's rushed for multiple 1200+ seasons.
even if he doesn't, he's still the 2nd or 3rd best RB on the team and I expect he'll be on the roster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I expected Dwyer to use the last 120 days to diet, eat right and work out. Not come in like he's rushed for multiple 1200+ seasons.

Even if Dwyer did that, I think he would still look a bit heavy.
95lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Batch has had as many chances as Dwyer has had to become a major contributor to the team and start and he's failed to even be active most games.

I wouldn't even consider myself a Batch fan but lets be realistic about the chances statement. Batch got injured and missed the entire first season. Last year was basically his rookie season. Although I don't hold out much hope he'll contribute anything significant myself.

As for pointing out Dwyer is like the bus in terms of their body type the ONE major difference is that Bettis contributed on the field on a consistent basis. When Dwyer does anything close to that he'll get my respect, till then he's just a guy with talent performing below his potential.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95lloyd wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Batch has had as many chances as Dwyer has had to become a major contributor to the team and start and he's failed to even be active most games.

I wouldn't even consider myself a Batch fan but lets be realistic about the chances statement. Batch got injured and missed the entire first season. Last year was basically his rookie season. Although I don't hold out much hope he'll contribute anything significant myself.

As for pointing out Dwyer is like the bus in terms of their body type the ONE major difference is that Bettis contributed on the field on a consistent basis. When Dwyer does anything close to that he'll get my respect, till then he's just a guy with talent performing below his potential.
I'm not saying Dwyer is the bus, where have I said that?

I'm saying look at the roster. Name more than 2 rbs who are better.

I see 4 rbs on the roster:

1. Bell
2. Dwyer
3. Redman
4. Stephens Howling- 3rd down back/KR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
95lloyd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
95lloyd wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I'm not saying Dwyer is the bus, where have I said that?

I'm saying look at the roster. Name more than 2 rbs who are better.

I see 4 rbs on the roster:

1. Bell
2. Dwyer
3. Redman
4. Stephens Howling- 3rd down back/KR

You are the one who bought up the bus as a comparison on body types. Saying he has the body type where he is always going to look over weight. To me if you want to compare his body to anyone else it is the guy he's competing with to be the #2 RB and that is Redman.

Last year Dwyer is tapping his helmet and pulling himself to the sideline out of breath, that is conditioning. Every season he's been here he has come into training camp out of shape. I realize it is only early in the pre season but when I look at mini camp pics all I see is a trimmed down Redman who has obviously been busting his butt trying to get in better shape and Redman looking as tubby as always.

Hopefully he proves me wrong because I believe he has the talent but I don't have much faith Dwyer is going to contribute anything significant this year. I actually think Redman will have a greater impact in the coming season.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwyer needs to come off his high horse and work! Dude just from following the team the pass 3 yrs has poor work ethic. It was stated when he was drafted at his pro day he was noticeably out of shape. Dwyer will never be anything other then a warm body as a RB. He has talent as a runner don't get me wrong, but he's easily upgraded.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again. I'm not saying Dwyer is a great worker or in great shape.

All I'm saying is, when you look at the roster I'm hard pressed to think he doesn't make the team because he's somewhere in the top 3 in terms of his roster ranking.
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwyer did much better in pass protection last year. I think he has a decent chance of making the team. Redman may be the odd man out. I do not think they will keep 4 RB again. I also do not think they will keep 3 230+lb RB.

But if the coaches are pissed at one of them, then that person is gone. Dwyer has much better vision than Redman but does not have the drive.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They kept 5 last year. 4 is pretty standard.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Dwyer did much better in pass protection last year. I think he has a decent chance of making the team. Redman may be the odd man out. I do not think they will keep 4 RB again. I also do not think they will keep 3 230+lb RB.

But if the coaches are pissed at one of them, then that person is gone. Dwyer has much better vision than Redman but does not have the drive.
I hope Redman isn't gone, I like what he brings to the table in terms of effort and work ethic. He's always seemed like a true steeler to me- lunch pale type player.

I also don't see what the big deal is with keeping three 230 LB + running backs, "if" those are the best three on your roster. Then, they can keep Stephens-Howling as their pass receiving and change of pace running back, as well as their kick off return man.

1. Bell
2. Dwyer
3. Redman
4. Stephens-Howling
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

I hope Redman isn't gone, I like what he brings to the table in terms of effort and work ethic. He's always seemed like a true steeler to me- lunch pale type player.

I also don't see what the big deal is with keeping three 230 LB + running backs, "if" those are the best three on your roster. Then, they can keep Stephens-Howling as their pass receiving and change of pace running back, as well as their kick off return man.

1. Bell
2. Dwyer
3. Redman
4. Stephens-Howling

Bell - can catch passes - needs to learn blitz pickup
Dwyer - can catch passes - does well on blitz pickup
Redman - not asked to catch passes - does well on blitz pickup
Stephens-Howling - Can catch passes - Blitz pickup to-be-determined...

Dwyer and Redman cost the same to keep and release. Keep 4 RB then one less CB or WR or TE or OL or DL or LB or ect... I thnik they keep 3 RB but that is just my guess.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

1. Bell
2. Dwyer
3. Redman
4. Stephens-Howling

Dwyer and Redman cost the same to keep and release. Keep 4 RB then one less CB or WR or TE or OL or DL or LB or ect... I thnik they keep 3 RB but that is just my guess.

Dwyer does well on blitz pickup? He isnt the worst Ive seen, but he certainly isnt as good as Redman (not saying Redman is great, but he is clearly better than what Ive ever seen from Dwyer)

Also, can you please explain how you come to the conclusion that Dwyer can catch passes and Redman is not asked to, when Redman had one more catch than Dwyer did last year and over 100+ more yards receiving? And in 2011, Redman had just as many catches as Rashard Mendenhall. I fail to see the logic behind that assessment.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

1. Bell
2. Dwyer
3. Redman
4. Stephens-Howling

I think they'll keep the 53 best players and I expect that Dwyer and Redman will be better than the 6th CB or WR. The 10th OL. The 7th/8th DL or the 9th LB.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
jebrick wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

1. Bell
2. Dwyer
3. Redman
4. Stephens-Howling

Dwyer does well on blitz pickup? He isnt the worst Ive seen, but he certainly isnt as good as Redman (not saying Redman is great, but he is clearly better than what Ive ever seen from Dwyer)

Also, can you please explain how you come to the conclusion that Dwyer can catch passes and Redman is not asked to, when Redman had one more catch than Dwyer did last year and over 100+ more yards receiving? And in 2011, Redman had just as many catches as Rashard Mendenhall. I fail to see the logic behind that assessment.
I agree with you about receiving, Redman is at least equal, if not a better receiver than Dwyer. As for the blitz pick up, he said they both did well in blitz pick up, meaning they're about equal there, which IMO is fair. Can't we all just agree that Dwyer and Redman are very similar players. Dwyer is a little more talented and physically gifted and Redman is a harder worker, stays in better shape and gives better effort. I really don't see how either one doesn't make this team because no one can be for sure about how well Bell will do as a rookie, even though everyone hopes he will be the best back we have. Then the team needs a guy like Stephens-Howling to be the kick returner, change of pace back, 3rd down back and primary pass catcher out of the backfield.

I just think its pretty obvious the team will carry 4 Rbs this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: