Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5-155: MINN - Jeff Locke [P] UCLA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In mid-March, Priefer put Locke through a private workout at UCLA, which provided the closing argument to ink him in as the top punter on the team’s draft board. Locke said he had other private workouts with the Jets, Bills, Eagles, Browns and Ravens but had a hunch he had really clicked with the Vikings. Now he has to keep the team feeling that way.

Locke: “I’m just trying to do what I do. I’m not trying to do anything extra.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/208726661.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should know: Priefer spent significant time picking the brain of UCLA special teams coordinator Jeff Ulbrich, who spent 10 years with the 49ers as a special teams contributor and was a special teams assistant with the Seahawks for two years. UCLA coach Jim Mora Jr., a former head coach with the Seahawks and Falcons was also a valuable sounding board in the evaluation of Locke. Then, Priefer zoned in on Locke’s approach, interested in part in seeing “how he rebounds from those punts that are less than perfect.”

He came away impressed with Locke’s attitude, leadership and hunger to get better.

“He has an NFL-ready mental approach to the game,” Priefer said. “He’s already a pro in that regard. We have to wait and see what he delivers as a punter.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/211459091.html
Krauser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair Walsh: Our new punter LOVES holding

https://vine.co/v/hB2ZLhjlDvX
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Blair Walsh: Our new punter LOVES holding

https://vine.co/v/hB2ZLhjlDvX

That's great that he loves it...but he better be good at it, because he's got a legendary holder to follow (if that's even possible). Kluwe was virtually flawless as a holder.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Krauser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google search:
No results found for "legendary field goal holder".
No results found for "flawless field goal holder".

The only NFL result I can find for "Hall of Fame holder" that isn't two sentences (e.g., "...Hall of Fame. Holder of several records...") is a blog post praising Koy Detmer.

I did find 4 results for "flawless holder" +NFL, all talking about FG holders from these teams: Bengals 2010 and Bills 2012 cut their old "flawless holders"; Colts 2010 and Lions 2011 added new "flawless holders". Can't say I noticed any drop off or improvement of those teams because of those changes.

Maybe fans are a little over-anxious about the change? I can't name a single other holder in the league last year except Kluwe.

Walsh and Locke may be gently poking fun at people making a big deal of the value of an experienced FG holder.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Kluwe was virtually flawless as a holder.

err... he botched a couple of snaps. but maybe that's the definition of "virtually."

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Kluwe was virtually flawless as a holder.

err... he botched a couple of snaps. but maybe that's the definition of "virtually."

Yep, that's why I said virtually. I know he wasn't perfect (no one is), but he was as good as they come.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting tidbit to keep in mind and impress your friends with: On their roster, the Minnesota Vikings have arguably the top kickoff men from both the NFL and college football last season.

We all know what Blair Walsh did in 2012, leading the league in average kickoff distance and ranking second in touchback percentage. As it turns out, rookie punter Jeff Locke -- a fifth-round draft choice from UCLA -- tallied an even higher percentage of touchbacks during his senior season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/57534/minnesota-vikings-two-kickoff-options-in-blair-walsh-jeff-locke

Webmaster wrote:
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kickoff schism

down but not out. I still believe!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Locke's ability to pin opponents deep in their own territory was one of the primary reasons the Vikings made him the first punter taken in the 2013 NFL draft. As Locke showed during the first week of Vikings training camp, he has a number of ways to get the job done.

The left-footed punter taught himself the Australian-rules football style of drop-kicking, where the ball travels end-over-end instead of in a spiral, and unveiled a few of the punts on two windy days at the start of training camp.

Locke used the punting style in college, and special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer said the Vikings will make use of it when Locke is punting in opposing territory and needs to make the ball check on the ground like a pitching wedge. The technique has become more popular in the NFL thanks to an influx of Australian-born punters, and Locke has added it to his own game.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_23749577/minnesota-vikings-punter-jeff-lockes-drop-kick-style

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Day 3 of practice:

Rookie punter Jeff Locke is actually entertaining to watch punt a football. The left-footed kid from UCLA showed off great touch on punts inside the ten yard line. Frequently, the ball would take a soft bounce straight up in the air, allowing coverage players to down it inside the ten.

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=11526212#ixzz2aWzNqFVi

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair Walsh: "Chris Kluwe was a great holder. I think he's going to do well in Oakland. Jeff is a really hard worker, and he's talented. With those two things combined, the possibilities are endless. We've adapted pretty well holding. We're still not there yet as a group. We have a preseason game next week against Houston, and I'm pretty confident by that time we'll be there. There are just little tweaks."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_23769546/vikings-blair-walsh-new-holder-jeff-locke-weve

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Saturday night's scrimmage:

SemperFeist wrote:
- Jeff Locke will be a difference maker in the field position battle. Watched him boom a 70 yard punt with 5+ seconds of hang time. And watching his short punts drop inside the 10 was like watching Phil Mickelsons wedge game.

Webmaster wrote:
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not short punts available with Walsh as the kicker, but I remain hopeful this pick works.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
There are not punts available with Walsh as the kicker, but I remain hopeful this pick works.

Why try a long FG when the Vikings are leading late in the 4th quarter, and risk a blocked kick or a miss, leaving better field position for the opponent? Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: