Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Guessing the 2013 season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Guessing the 2013 season Reply with quote

Since we do only have a little more than 1 month before preseason begins, figured I'd take a stab at how the 2013 schedule might play out for us

@SF - I think we can probably hold them below 45 this time around but I still think they're just that 1 step ahead of most other NFC teams right now and after almost winning the superbowl, they're likely to come out looking to go back and with a good start. So I'll have to say something like 31-24 niners in this one.

vs Was - Another read option QB in 2 weeks, not gonna be easy for the defense but i think a real key in this game is gonna be being able to stop Alfred Morris. RG3 gets all the credit but a real factor for his success has been Alfred Morris. I don't think we can shut down the redskins offense but if we can limit morris, I think we can contain them enough to keep them from lighting up the scoreboard. I think it'll be close but we'll escape with a 34-31 win or something like that.

@ Cin - This time I think we see the team play like the team we all know. Andy Dalton just does not convince me he's gonna take the bengals to the next level. He can win 8 or more games in a season sure, but he's not anything real spectacular, and Marv Lewis's job should be on the line this year, because there comes a point where just making the playoffs doesn't cut it, and right now, I think the organization wants to see more than that out of the team, but as long as he's coach, they won't get it. Packers take this one 24-10 or something like that.

vs Det - Detroit will hang tough in this one but the drought of not winning at Lambeau will continue. Packers 28 Lions 21

@ Bal - Hard to say what to expect here, the defending superbowl champions just lost 9 key players from their run last year and are now entering the post Ray Lewis era. Really don't know what to call here but I'm gonna say something like 23-20 Packers with a win.

vs Cle - Not much to say here, Packers 42 Browns 10 or something like that.

@ Min - Winning in the metrodome just is never easy no matter what the circumstance. While I don't think Minny will quite duplicate the 10-6 record of last year i still think they do enough in this game to get away with a win. Vikes 27 Packers 20.

vs Chi - A struggling bears team that's making the adjustments comes to the well-established Packers house. While it is a rivalry game and while the bears defense has always kept games close against us, I do think the loss of Idonije is gonna be rough on them and allow more blockers to get downfield on Briggs and co and allow more running room for Lacy in this one. Think the packers take this one 21-7.

vs Phi - Don't know what to fully expect here but once again a team going into a new coaching era and still sticking with Michael Vick who while he can be good is always a liability for error on that field is coming to town. While the Eagles could be a bit improved the Packers are still the ones to take this 35-21 or something like that.

@ NYG - Well this has now become one of our unofficial out of division rivalries as of late and it should be a good one. I don't know if I can make a call on this one because you just never know how the Giants are gonna play. If the bad Eli shows up the Packers win this one easy. If the good Eli shows up the giants probably win by 7-10 points.

vs Min - Revenge game here, with the game in Lambeau and out in the colder weather now, think I gotta stick with the Pack taking it 38-17 or something like that.

@ Det - The Thanksgiving Day special once again returns to television this year and the Pack are on it. Detroit is coming off that 4-12 record last year and even though they dropped the game earlier this season to us, they're likely to come back on a rebound this game. Think I gotta say Detroit 34 Pack 27

vs Atl - It's at home, and it's the perfect time of year, December night in Lambeau Field. Even though I think Atlanta will be decent this year, no team has ever won the NFC south back to back years, and I expect the Falcons will be dropped a bit from last year's record. Pack take this one 30-20 I think.

@ Dal - Now this is one game I'm gonna be real interested to see how it plays out. It's crazy to think after taking trips down to Irving, TX all throughout the 90s that we've only been down there 1 time since 1999, but hey, after all that I'd say we were long due for a trip there. The key note here, we haven't won down there since 1989, but that was pre-Brett Favre, and now we're gonna be down here for the first time in 21 years without Brett Favre as QB, and man oh man I am so glad he is not there anymore, he always guaranteed that games down in Jerry's house were losses for us. Rodgers and Romo have now met 2x and each have won a piece Romo in 2008, Rodgers in 2009, Romo did not play the 2010 game against us. But now you gotta wonder, will the Cowboys toss out their so-called beloved QB if the season meets short of expectations, or are they sticking a free pass for him to stay in there until he makes a retirement speech? I don't know what to predict here, but if Romo has his usual December bad luck, the Packers are gonna snap the losing streak down here and win 37-28.

vs Pitt - The renewal of Superbowl XLV comes to Lambeau this week, and oddly enough Rothlisberger seems to have gone rather downhill since he lost that game. I'll have to see how they look coming into this one but my conventional wisdom tells me even though they may have a winning record and may even win the AFC North, that division is just not very strong this year and their defense is not what it once was. I'm gonna say Packers 27 Steelers 14.

@ Chi - Chicago may start seeing improvement at this point in the season in their offensive scheme and overall play, and if Green Bay at this point doesn't have anything really to play for, they may sit the starters for this one and let Chicago have one. I'll say Bears 24 Pack 20.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post but it is not easy to predict how we'll do week to week, let alone an entire season beforehand. Injuries alone can be the difference. We weren't the same team in December than we were in September last season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that if we go 3-3 in division, this is not a good season.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Interesting post but it is not easy to predict how we'll do week to week, let alone an entire season beforehand. Injuries alone can be the difference. We weren't the same team in December than we were in September last season.

Well no of course not and most teams are not the same by seasons end as they are when they start out, because if they were I'm pretty sure the Ravens last year and us in 2010 would not have gone to the superbowls of those years.

I just enjoy thinking about what might happen in advance.

It's gonna be quite a season with interesting games on the horizon, I'm really curious to see how RG3 does in his 2nd year of football, what the Ravens look like now that Ray, Ed, and a few other of their famous players over the years are gone now, what's gonna happen in the trip down to dallas now that we don't got brett favre to worry about, and just how far gone the steelers have gone since they were the top in the AFC when we played them last.

Lotta interesting games ahead.
ECPackers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is so easy for me every year.

we'll lose to the niners by 14. but we'll beat the hawks by like 20. who'll beat the niners by 3

we'll beat the vikings by 21, who'll beat the bears by 20, but we'll lose to the bears by 8.

and the lions... nothing to see here.
Bucks
Badgers
MetalheadMedic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any predictions......but man this schedule is brutal.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think GB will lose at least one division game, pick between MIN/CHI, and lose the opener to @SF and another @NYG. Could see us lose a tough one @BAL or @CIN.

So, yeah.. 12-4 probably.

R-E-L-A-X
Polaris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tried and true formula goes like this:

1) More important to win home games than road games.
2) More important to win division games than non-division games.
3) More important to win conference games than non-conference games.
4) More important to beat non-playoff teams than playoff teams (win the games you're supposed to win).

Applying this formula to the schedule and our schedule looks like this, from most winnable to least:

1) Lions. A home game, a division game, against a non-playoff team.
2) Bears. Ditto.
3) Eagles. Home, conference, non-playoff
4) Browns. Home, non-conference, non-playoff.
5) @ Cowboys. Road, conference, non-playoff.
6) Vikings. Home, division, playoff.
7) Falcons. Home, conference, playoff.
8 ) Steelers. Home, non-conference, playoff
9) @ Lions Road, division, non-playoff.
10) @ Bears. Ditto.
11) @Vikings . Road, division, playoff.
12) @Giants. Road, conference, playoff.
13) Redskins. Home, conference, playoff.
14) @Bengals. Road, non-conference, playoff
15) @49ers Road, conference, playoff.
16) @Ravens. Road, non-conference, playoff

I see the game at the Giants as more difficult than the Vikings because I think they're just a better team. Ditto the Lions and Bears.

If we win 10 of the first 12 we'll win the division. I think that winning any of the last five would really be an accomplishment.
KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ SF-With a vastly improved running game and after nabbing one of, if not THE highest rated RO defender in the draft in Datone Jones, I do believe it'll be significantly closer this time around than last January, however, I sadly don't feel it'll be enough to beat a hungry and motivated SF team at home in week 1, who will want to show the world they're out for blood after losing the SB back in February. I'd say SF 31-24.
R:0-1

vs Washington-Geez, could they have picked a more brutal first couple games to kick off our season than against 2 explosive RO teams? Plus, Washington's getting arguably their 2 best defenders (Carriker and Orakpo) back and they shored up their secondary in the draft while also getting their top Safety from last year back from injury (Merriweather), so their defense could be better than you may realize this year, if not significantly so. Fortunately, this one's at home and while it'll be one of our tougher home games on our schedule next year, my gut tells me we'll escape with a narrow win. Seriously, though, we could very easily start the year 0-2 with these first couple games. Sheesh.
R: 1-1

@ Cincinnati-my gut tells me we'll lose one of our road games at either Baltimore or Cincinnati, but not both, and it could honestly go either way. The Bengals finally have some weapons on offense while their defense remains one of the league's best, so kinda like week 2, it'll be one of our more competitive games on our schedule this year, but I think we'll take this one in a nailbitter.
R: 2-1

vs Detroit-The Lions may rebound a bit from last year's disappointing 4-12 record with a somewhat improved defense, but their long losing streak at Lambeau will continue here. Pack by 2 or 3 scores.
R: 3-1

@ Baltimore-this is the one I feel we'll lose between the 2 aforementioned road games. BTW, I beg to differ on Baltimore's team compared to last year, the FA's they've added: OLB Elvis Dumervil, FS Michael Huff, and DL Chris Canty and Marcus Spears should better the overall production from the guys they've lost at said positions: OLB Paul Kruger and FS Ed Reed, and draftee's SS Matt Elam and ILB Arthur Brown should both instantly produce more than SS Bernard Pollard and ILB Ray Lewis did last year at age 37, respectively. Tough call, but I'll say we'll win @ Cincy and lose to the defending champs in their house.
R: 3-2.

vs Cleveland-we should take this one pretty handily, and although we do have a habbit of sometimes playing down to our opponents (see: our home games against Jacksonville and Arizona last year), I can easily pencil this one in as a win, being at home and playing against a team learning a new defense and not expected to be in serious contention for their division.
R:4-2.

@ Minnesota-winning at the Metrodome is never easy, and while we'll be one of the tougher home games on their schedule next year, I think they'll take this one in a close one.
R:4-3.

vs Chicago-Cutler has not shown any ability to play consistently well against us, particularly at home, and while their defense is still legit, I think our long winning streak at home against Da Bears will continue.
R:5-3.

vs Philly-new defense, new system, plus the jury's still out on whether Vick can still be a starting QB in this league since the freefall from his 2010 MVP-worthy season. While the Eagles may be improved from last year, I still think we take this one at home.
R:6-3

@ NYG-Geez, do we really have to play these guys at Met Life for the 3rd year in a row? As much as I'd like to say we'll walk out with a win here, I sadly don't know if I can judging by recent history, though our vastly improved running game, compounded by seeing how bad they were defensively last year, especially against the run, with no major additions (they've merely replaced guys they've lost last year on the DL and at LB) gives me a small glimmer of hope. Our OL should hopefully be fully healthy and protect Rodgers better this time around, too. Pencil this one as a sleeper pick game, I guess, but by default, I'll sadly say we lose this one. Maybe I'm wrong, and by God, I hope I am, but I'll go with my gut on this one.
R:6-4.

vs Minnesota-we'll get our revenge on the Vikes and win at home, ultimately splitting with them.
R: 7-4.

@ Detroit-I'll say we'll win in a close one here simply because we play well indoors and while I expect the Lions to be a little improved from last year, this is still one of our on paper more winnable road games on our schedule this year. Like most of the other games on our schedule, though, it could easily go the other way around.
R: 8-4

vs Atlanta-Kinda like Washington in week 2, this is easily one of our tougher home games on our schedule. Atlanta's improved secondary and running game should make them even more dangerous this year than last, but this is not a team that fairs well outdoors, so by simple process of elimination, I'll say we win in a close one here.
R: 9-4

@ Dallas-Easily a 50/50 game, but history says Romo will likely have one of his usual December performances, and if that happens, we'll take this one hands down. It all comes down to how Romo performs, as Arlington isn't exactly a place where we don't have a winning tradition (see: Super Bowl XLV). Tough call, but I'll say we barely squeeze out another close win here. It could very easily go down as an L on our schedule, though.
R: 10-4

vs Pittsburgh-another very tough game to call, and I also disagree with the OP on Pittsburgh. Their defense is still for real, as they were the top-ranked defense each of the last 2 seasons. However, their offense is on a small decline, and that's where my pick comes in. Rodgers has played exceptionally well against LeBeau's unit in each of the last 2 meetings (without throwing a single interception in either contest, if memory serves me), and our D should be at least somewhat improved with the "California Gold Rush" (whether this'll bring them back to being a top 5 D is much more wide open for discussion). Again, tough call, and Pittsburgh may rebound a bit from their surprising 8-8 finish last year, but I think we'll win a close one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it end differently, however, like most of the other games on our schedule.
R: 11-4

@ Chicago-late December game at Soldier Field spells trouble for us, I think the Bears will get their revenge here and split with us, much like I have us splitting with the Vikes.
R:11-5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: