Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do YOU think Romo is a Superbowl Caliber QB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is he???
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 16 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: *Correction* Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
The highest rated passer int he 4th Qtr or OT of a one score game since 2006 (min 100 attempts in that situation) is Aaron Rodgers with a 115.5.

# 2 is our boy Tony, with a 112.8, less than three points behind him.

#3? that'd be Kurt Warner with a 101.6, over ELEVEN points back. (to be fair, for his career Warner had a 103.3, so he gets within 10 points of Romo if you count his full body of work)

I owe a retraction here. These stats were not all one score games, but games tied or leading by one score, due to an error I made using the tool (pro-football-reference's "play finder"). The actual numbers for passing plays run while the game is within 8 points, during Q4 or OT are (I here give the top 10 ranked by passer rating, min 200 attempts):

Rodgers 8.5 ypa 24 (6.5%) TD 8 (2.1%) INT 104.1 rating

Romo 8.5 ypa 31 (5.7%) TD 14 (2.6%) INT 98.4 rating

E Manning 8.1 ypa 41 (7.0%)TD 20 (3.4%) INT 96.0 rating

P Manning 7.6 ypa 43 (4.8%) TD 22(2.4%) INT 93.0 rating

Brees 7.5 ypa 42 (5.1%) TD 25 (3.0%) INT 92.2 rating

Culpepper 8.2 ypa 24 (5.2%) TD 16 (3.5%) INT 92.1 rating (just how good was Randy Moss?)

Schaub 7.8 ypa 16 (3.9%) TD 12 (2.9 %) INT 88.4 rating

Warner 7.7 ypa 18 (4.0%) TD 13(2.9%) INT 88.1 rating

Freeman 7.9 ypa 11 (4.5%) TD 8 (3.3%) INT 86.1 rating

Roethlisberger 7.7 ypa 25 (4.2%) TD 17 (2.9%) INT 85.8 rating

The main difference is that Eli Manning shoots up the list when you include playing from behind by one score and that everyone else's ratings drop, most of them significantly.

Romo is 3rd in TD % (behind Rodgers and Eli), 3rd in INT % (behind Rodgers and Peyton), Tied 1st in YPA (with Rodgers) and 2nd in passer rating (behind Rodgers).

He is literally better in every single measurable than any QB not named Rodgers or Manning in the 4th Quarter or OT of close games.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I'd like to pose a question to you. If Romo were on the Ravens, would he be a different player? Does he win a Superbowl if he and flacco changed places? Legitimately curious to hear your thoughts?

Would he be a different player? No. He'd still be a careless risk taker, but the organization would not allow him to take as many chances as he does, nor would they ignore the o-line. The Ravens work to protect their QBs as best they can in order to limit the mistakes. Also, they believe in a solid running game where we don't. So again, it would limit his mistakes because they would protect him from himself. Now, would that translate to a championship? I don't know. The only thing that I do know is that Harbaugh would place Romo in situations where his mental meltdowns would not be exploited and exposed so quickly and so easily by the opposing team.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I'd like to pose a question to you. If Romo were on the Ravens, would he be a different player? Does he win a Superbowl if he and flacco changed places? Legitimately curious to hear your thoughts?

The only thing that I do know is that Harbaugh would place Romo in situations where his mental meltdowns would not be exploited and exposed so quickly and so easily by the opposing team.

For it being exposed so easily, how many meltdowns does he actually have? 3-4 at the most in his career? I hate how much his mistakes get over exaggerated just because hes Tony Romo.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a total of 9 games since 2006 where Romo threw an INT in the 4th Qtr or OT when the game was within one score either way (+/-8 points) and we went on to lose the game.

In the same or lesser (in the case of Rogers) time span, Brady and Eli also have 9 each, Brees has 11, Peyton has 6, Rodgers has 7. Flacco has 7 as well.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
I found a total of 9 games since 2006 where Romo threw an INT in the 4th Qtr or OT when the game was within one score either way (+/-8 points) and we went on to lose the game.

In the same or lesser (in the case of Rogers) time span, Brady and Eli also have 9 each, Brees has 11, Peyton has 6, Rodgers has 7. Flacco has 7 as well.

It's not just the 4th quarter, Dirk. Did you not watch either Week 17 game in 2011 or 2012? Those games were over long before the 4th quarter. In fact, they were over before the games even started based on Romo's body language and the deer in the headlights look that he had on his face. Every analyst mentioned that. The only people who refuse to acknowledge it are blindly allegiant Cowboys fans.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the fact that you hold up wk 17 of 2011 as an example of Romo's failure is good enough for me.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

It's not just the 4th quarter, Dirk. Did you not watch either Week 17 game in 2011 or 2012? Those games were over long before the 4th quarter. In fact, they were over before the games even started based on Romo's body language and the deer in the headlights look that he had on his face. Every analyst mentioned that. The only people who refuse to acknowledge it are blindly allegiant Cowboys fans.

Week 17 in 2011? You mean when Romo put up a better performance than any other quarterback would go on to do against the Giant's defense in the several weeks leading up to the Giant's superbowl victory? Guess those quarterbacks (Ryan, Rodgers, Brady) lacked the mental toughness to win those games too. Considering they were all worse than Romo, in the exact same situation.

Obviously week 17 of last season was bad. One of his worst performances ever (though getting hit after every play didn't help him). You're still ignoring the fact that hes played well in other big games though, games that would have/ should have put the Cowboys into the playoffs. You're also ignoring the fact that Romo's mental toughness is the reason why the Cowboys have always been in position to sneak into the playoffs when honestly the team hasn't had much business being there. If Romo was mentally weak, the Cowboys would finish below .500 every season.

I understand that you aren't happy that Romo hasn't led the team to more success, but pinning this failure on him is ridiculous.

^ made by CalhounLambeau

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: