Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official AD Appreciation Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Fobos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/What-They-Are-Saying-10-Quotes-From-NFL-Players-On-Adrian-Petersons-Greatness/b63e985b-47dd-4dee-acf2-236cf156291c

"I don’t think he’s human. I think he’s a robot. " – Buccaneers DT Gerald McCoy

Truth.

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/top100/2013#video=0ap2000000215204

no surprise here

The network revealed its top 10 players on Thursday night. Peyton Manning was second, Calvin Johnson third, Tom Brady fourth, J.J. Watt fifth, Aaron Rodgers sixth, Aldon Smith seventh, Arian Foster eighth, Von Miller ninth and Patrick Willis 10th.

The Vikings’ Jared Allen was 60th and Chad Greenway was 70th while former Viking Percy Harvin, now with the Seattle, was 90th.

Peterson: “I had a good feeling without being cocky that I would be No. 1. I kind of made that assumption with the MVP. I was like, ‘Well, I don’t see how I wouldn’t be No. 1 knowing that I won MVP,’’ so I kind of put myself there. I feel like I can do it again. I’ve thought in the past that I should have been No. 1 before."

http://min.scout.com/2/1303434.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/22531830/rewinding-the-tape-on-adrian-petersons-incredible-2013

Quote:
He is Minnesota's favorite son, its new Kirby Puckett, a player Vikings fans love and embrace, and he seems to give it right back to them.

But what really sets Peterson apart from others is his super-human ability on the football field. He's a runner like no other in the league right now. This is the man who bounced back from a devastating knee injury and nearly broke the single-season rushing record less than a year removed from surgery. Oh and he won NFL MVP honors in the process.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A successful run for 2,500 yards would make Peterson more than just the league MVP, which he was last season: He would be considered the greatest athlete. Ever.

To accomplish such a remarkable achievement, he has to stay healthy. That's a given. He also has to have his offensive coordinator, Bill Musgrave, feed him the ball at a record pace. Peterson carried the ball 348 times and averaged an astonishing 6.0 yards per carry last season. When Dickerson set the record, he averaged 5.6 yards per carry.

If Peterson averaged six yards again this season, he would need to carry the ball 417 times to reach 2,500 yards. The NFL record for carries in a season is 416 by Kansas City's Larry Johnson in 2006. Johnson gained 1,789 yards that year, averaging 4.3 yards per carry.

Peterson also would have to average 156.25 yards per game.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23710443/bob-sansevere-one-viking-will-keep-adrian-peterson

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Peterson gets know where near 2500, which wold indicate that there is a completely inept passing game. I'd take a 1500 yard season if it actually means that ponder plays like a competent qb.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I hope Peterson gets know where near 2500, which wold indicate that there is a completely inept passing game.

or we have the lead in games and can afford to keep running it later on.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I hope Peterson gets know where near 2500, which wold indicate that there is a completely inept passing game.

In this case, if hope to see gerhart involved to a avoid exposing Peterson to 417 carries. 330 would probably be ideal in terms of having a balanced offense.
Krauser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

That's one of things that added to AP's totals last year (and limited Ponder's downfield passing attempts), we had big early leads in lots of games.

In 8 of their wins they led wire to wire and had sizeable leads:

Vikings 17 - SF 3 at halftime
Vikings 20 - Lions 6 early in 3Q @Det, and same score with 4 min left
Vikings 13 - Titans 0 at halftime (and 23-0 by the end of the 3Q)
Vikings 21 - Cards 7 early in 3Q, and same score at 2 min warning
Vikings 16 - Lions 3 in 3Q
Vikings 14 - Bears 0 early in 1Q, and 21 - 7 at 2 min warning
Vikings 30 - Rams 7 at halftime
Vikings 16 - Texans 3 early in 3Q

The win against the Jags was back and forth. They led the Packers 20 - 7 late in 2Q in week 17, saw Rodgers lead them back to a tie, and won on the last drive.

They also had narrow leads in 3 losses:

Vikings 9 - Redskins 0 at the end of 1Q (after 3 straight unsuccessful red zone drives) -- Skins led 17-9 at half and 31-12 early in 4Q
Vikings 17 - Seahawks 14 in 2Q
Vikings 14 - Packers 10 at halftime @Lambeau -- either Jared Allen INT TD called back for a bogus roughing call before halftime or Ponder's terrible pass across his body for the INT in the end zone in the 3Q would have made it 21-10

This is one of the factors that might be missed by the usual analysis predicting that a team like the Vikings that won a lot of games by one score or less (they were 5-1) will have a worse record the next year. They dominated several of those "close" games and only allowed scores in the last few minutes (against Arizona, the Lions and the Bears) that made them "close" games in the end.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should Peterson actually get 2500 yards or something like that, it won't be because he's given 10 more carries a game and earns 6 yards for each of them on average, it will be because he rips off an extra 60 yard run on a single attempt. so if that happens, it isn't reflecting on our passing game.

they won't give him 400+ carries because it would tire him down for post-season play.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
should Peterson actually get 2500 yards or something like that, it won't be because he's given 10 more carries a game and earns 6 yards for each of them on average, it will be because he rips off an extra 60 yard run on a single attempt. so if that happens, it isn't reflecting on our passing game.

they won't give him 400+ carries because it would tire him down for post-season play.

For Peterson to reach 2500, 400 carries is certainly necessary. I just don't see a rb averaging 7.25 plus yards per carry. What is the record for yards per carry in a season? I'd guess that it would be impossible to reach 2500 yards without surpassing 400 carries. To me, its simply not worth it and will likely be reflective of an inability to pass the ball. You're looking at 25 plus carries per game and the Vikings have proven the past year that there style involves playing down to the wire, in close games. I'd be shocked if Peterson reached 1800 this year to be honest. He has only done that once in his career.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
What is the record for yards per carry in a season?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_per_att_single_season.htm
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_per_att_single_season.htm

I'd be interested in seeing this list narrowed down to a minimum of 250 carries excluding qbs since they will obviously have skewed production.
CDub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Yes, but that's asking a lot. AD is a monster, but with the very weak passing game it's just going to make things harder. I think we should start out depending on Ponder a little bit and see how he handles it. If we want to be a playoff contender year in and year out we need a lot better QB play.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing this list narrowed down to a minimum of 250 carries excluding qbs since they will obviously have skewed production.

1. Jim Brown (6.3 ypc, 291 carries)
2. Barry Sanders (6.1 ypc, 335 carries)
3. OJ Simpson (6.0 ypc, 332 carries)
4. Adrian Peterson (6.0 ypc, 348 carries)

I don't think I missed anyone
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha! when vikingsrule made his request to narrow the search, i assumed Jim Brown and OJ Simpson would be at the top of the list.

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: