Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Another Seabird Wants to Hurt Harbaugh
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Another Seabird Wants to Hurt Harbaugh Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:

"I've definitely noticed it." was directly in regards to Seattle. As was the discussion about how we are told it is Adderal.

Of course it was. The question was about Seattle. And he said was that he noticed it, just like every other coach and professional football guy noticed it. Other than saying "no comment" to a question like that he couldn't have said much less. Certainly nothing worth guys saying they want to wring his neck or take a helmet shot to his head. Fact is Seattle has had a lot of guys suspended for illegal drug use since 2010. When another coach says "yeah I noticed that" they should just keep their mouths. Just speaks volumes to me about what kind of tone Caroll sets that his guys openly trash talk anouther NFL coach and I mean violence here not just calling him a fool or something like that, and of course the number of violations they've piled up with him at the helm. Seriously, can you think of another team where multiple guys on the team have talked about hurting another coach?

Why should they keep quiet? They are defending their own. I have no issue with that. These guys are like family to each other. I would expect them to come out and defend themselves.

I cannot think of another team saying they would like to induce physical harm on an opposing coach, but its not like they are out there being the Bengals.

The fact is that if it were the Carolina Panthers our fanbase would not have such a visceral reaction to what is being said. It is because they are the Seahawks. Its the hated rival. I hate them as much as any. Golden Tate and Sherman more than any, but I just cant find a reason to make it bigger then it needs to be. Im definitely not going to expect fines. We are acting like the guy said he was going to catch Harbaugh in the parking lot. Its idle threats. Who cares?

As far as what Harbs said, he clearly said more. It's in his quotes from the original story. So you went from saying it wasnt directed to Seattle to it is?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/11/jim-harbaugh-takes-notice-of-seahawks-suspensions/

Quote:
ďIíve definitely noticed it,Ē Harbaugh said of the situation in Seattle, via Grant Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat. ďYou donít know what it is. Even when people say what it is, you donít know that thatís what it is. Iíve heard this thrown out or that, but thatís usually the agent or the players themselves saying itís, for example, Adderall. But the NFL doesnít release what it actually is, so you have no idea. Youíre taking somebody at their word that I donít know if you can take them at their word, understanding the circumstances.Ē

The reality is that they are responding to his statement. He was trolling the Seahawks and the players suspensions in typical Harbaugh fashion. He isnt concerned with the threats I'm sure. The players police the game.

The thing is, players are also supposed to be role models. THey must hear about that for hours at the rookie symposium, when they enter the league. I don't really care about fines or harsher discipline from the league. I'm just saying that making threats isn't proper behavior for role models to have. The league is basically telling kids everywhere that it's okay to threaten someone's physical integrity. Without there being any fine, there should at least be a public warning to the players and the coach letting the threats happen. It doesn't matter if they're idle threats, they're threats nonetheless, and a bad example to set. I would react the same way if, for example, Chris Culliver said something like that, or Navorro Bowman, or Aldon Smith.

Are we really going to get into the role models conversation again? Athletes are not role models. Fire fighters, Cops, Veterans, Teachers. Those are role models and even those people cannot be controlled. As a parent it is my job to raise a functioning member of society who thinks for themselves. Most kids in this world are very much unaware of this story. I don't know about you, but I don't know many kids who are following the comments made by Brandon Browner and Golden Tate.

I really don't see how it has anything to do with it

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Seabird Wants to Hurt Harbaugh Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:

Are we really going to get into the role models conversation again? Athletes are not role models. Fire fighters, Cops, Veterans, Teachers. Those are role models and even those people cannot be controlled. As a parent it is my job to raise a functioning member of society who thinks for themselves. Most kids in this world are very much unaware of this story. I don't know about you, but I don't know many kids who are following the comments made by Brandon Browner and Golden Tate.

I understand what you're saying but it is unrealistic to not not understand that kids are INFLUENCED by behavior they see around them. TV and movie stars, singers and athletes all have an influence on kids. Yes, it's up to parents to teach their kids right from wrong. But when people kids look up to, and they do look up to pop culture figures, set bad examples it makes it that much harder for kids to know what's right - despite what they've heard from their parents. Simply put, lots of kids that are brought up "right" by their parents still get into trouble. And for young males it's often violence that's the problem. So hearing football stars they might read about, and follow, and cheer for say they want to get their hands around someone's neck, or knock the living heck out of someone, is indeed a bad thing.

Ever watch kids playing Little League. Some of them go up to the plate and spit, and dig a hole for their back foot, and step out of the box and tighten their gloves, and all kinds of behaviors like that - none of it learned from their parents or their coaches. It's what they learned from watching the role models they follow on TV - their favorite MLB guys. You might not want it to be true that athletes are role models, but it is simply true. They are - and many of them do not model the same behavior you are trying to teach your kids.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Seabird Wants to Hurt Harbaugh Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:

I understand what you're saying but it is unrealistic to not not understand that kids are INFLUENCED by behavior they see around them. TV and movie stars, singers and athletes all have an influence on kids. Yes, it's up to parents to teach their kids right from wrong. But when people kids look up to, and they do look up to pop culture figures, set bad examples it makes it that much harder for kids to know what's right - despite what they've heard from their parents. Simply put, lots of kids that are brought up "right" by their parents still get into trouble. And for young males it's often violence that's the problem. So hearing football stars they might read about, and follow, and cheer for say they want to get their hands around someone's neck, or knock the living heck out of someone, is indeed a bad thing.

Ever watch kids playing Little League. Some of them go up to the plate and spit, and dig a hole for their back foot, and step out of the box and tighten their gloves, and all kinds of behaviors like that - none of it learned from their parents or their coaches. It's what they learned from watching the role models they follow on TV - their favorite MLB guys. You might not want it to be true that athletes are role models, but it is simply true. They are - and many of them do not model the same behavior you are trying to teach your kids.

You know where a lot of kids learn those behaviors? From their parents and coaches. I still play. I spit, adjust my batting gloves, dig a hole. You know where I learned that? My coaches, cousins, my Dad. My Dad dipped. I never have, but I saw him spit all the time. My nephew wants to be a catcher because I play catcher.

Im not naive to the fact that kids see what athletes do and mimic them, but that is totally irrelavant to this situation. We are talking about an article on websites. Most kids under the age of 14 dont even know where to find the article. Even with our 24 hour news cycle and kids having more and more access to the internet.

We act likie the majority of kids are die hard Niner fans who spend the offseason looking for meaningless info regarding the players and coaches like all of us do.

I was a rarity as a child. I would keep score of baseball games at 7. There are not many kids like that. I lived sports and lived everything about it and I still didnt know about stuff like this.

All I am saying is that it isnt realistic that kids even know what has been said considering the only place that it generates any buzz was here.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Browner and Tate are not our local sports heroes; they're Seattle's. Just checked and both of their statements were in the local Seattle papers, and of course on the web sites and blogs of Seattle sports guys. So, yes, it is highly likely that local kids did see those statements.

We might not have seen or heard those kinds of things when we were growing up, but those kind of things can go viral in a few hours these days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Well Browner and Tate are not our local sports heroes; they're Seattle's. Just checked and both of their statements were in the local Seattle papers, and of course on the web sites and blogs of Seattle sports guys. So, yes, it is highly likely that local kids did see those statements.

We might not have seen or heard those kinds of things when we were growing up, but those kind of things can go viral in a few hours these days.

Dude seriously how many people actually read the newspaper? how many kids do you think read it? Most kids 14 and under are not following the websites and twitters of the local beat writers......WTF

big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

Dude seriously how many people actually read the newspaper? how many kids do you think read it? Most kids 14 and under are not following the websites and twitters of the local beat writers......WTF

How many kids follow sports? Umm, millions. I said in the papers and on local websites, and I'm pretty darn sure on Seattle local tv since it was on tv here. Now if you're asking me how many kids watch tv and browse the web, I'd say the answer is all of them.

But really I'm not arguing how many kids saw these particular statements or not. But you were arguing, and have done so before, that sports stars are not role models. If by that you mean that kids don't follow them and try to "be like Mike", in other words in some ways emulate them, I just can't agree with that. It may be that your boy has seen you play baseball and so is emulating you. But are you sure? Has he ever watched a baseball game on TV? And let's suppose your son is the exception. I can assure you there are tons of kids I've watched do the things I was talking about who have not learned them from their dads for the simple reason that a whole lot of dads don't go out and play ball with their kids, or play ball and have their kids watch. And if you think some kid out there didn't watch Golden Tate level Sean Lee with that cheap shot and see how Tate celebrated and how his teammates applauded that hit, and then went out tyrying to do the same things on the field themselves, then I just don't know what more to say about this. "Be like Mike" is a simple metaphor for kids trying to be like the sports stars they follow and emulating their behaviors. Kids do that. Maybe yours don't; but many if not most do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

How many kids follow sports? Umm, millions. I said in the papers and on local websites, and I'm pretty darn sure on Seattle local tv since it was on tv here. Now if you're asking me how many kids watch tv and browse the web, I'd say the answer is all of them.

But really I'm not arguing how many kids saw these particular statements or not. But you were arguing, and have done so before, that sports stars are not role models. If by that you mean that kids don't follow them and try to "be like Mike", in other words in some ways emulate them, I just can't agree with that. It may be that your boy has seen you play baseball and so is emulating you. But are you sure? Has he ever watched a baseball game on TV? And let's suppose your son is the exception. I can assure you there are tons of kids I've watched do the things I was talking about who have not learned them from their dads for the simple reason that a whole lot of dads don't go out and play ball with their kids, or play ball and have their kids watch. And if you think some kid out there didn't watch Golden Tate level Sean Lee with that cheap shot and see how Tate celebrated and how his teammates applauded that hit, and then went out tyrying to do the same things on the field themselves, then I just don't know what more to say about this. "Be like Mike" is a simple metaphor for kids trying to be like the sports stars they follow and emulating their behaviors. Kids do that. Maybe yours don't; but many if not most do.

I didnt ask how many kids follow aports. Even the ones that do dont follow it the same way that grown men with an obsession do. Like us by the way. kids see things on TV all the time. They are still kids, they dont go out and say you know what Im Brandon Browner, you're Jim Harbaugh. Im gonna strangle you. I am not naive to the fact that kids mimic athletes. They mimic what they see in life. SO I ask you....what did they see? All that has happened is there have been words spoken. If those words were read or heard by a non high school kid I highly doubt in 99% of those cases that the kid is suddenly taking Brandon Browner and Golden Tate's approach to handle things.

You are reaching there. It has to be a perfect storm of a kid taking the time to either find the story on the web, hear it on the news or local sports programming, process the info and understand what they mean by Sean Lee treatment, then go out and emulate it. And for the 1% well I dont know what to tell you. We cant protect them all.

Be like Mike was an advertising slogan. It was telling kids to buy....Nike's I think? I dont remember. It was telling kids to buy his product and play like him. Not to be a womanizer who had a Gambling habit.

I would welcom any child to be passionate and competitive ala Michael Jordan. You just have to explain to them that who he is on the basketball court isnt who he is away from the court. I would dred my kid being like Mike in his personal life, but in athletics or in his career and passion. Im all for it.

As far as kids mimicing the NFL players and how they celebrate...thats where coaching sets in. You stop it the minute that it happens. Now you need capable coaches, but thats a different story.

Kids will always mimic what they see, but they are still kids. They have so much going on in life they dont have the time or attention span to decipher the comments made by Browner and Tate. Just because kids will mimic an athlete doesnt make them a role model. A kid can watch the hit from Tate and mimic it and then watch Kapernick spin the ball on the Packers defender in the playoffs after the big hit and do the same. In some cases the Kaepernick issue could be considered worse because it isnt a football play.

Plush

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the middle of all of this, is a good old fashion football rivalry. And if things continue like they are, it'll be one for the history books.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: