Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Enough about Nicks and Cruz... Rueben Randle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Enough about Nicks and Cruz... Rueben Randle Reply with quote

Kevin Gilbride had some good things to say about Rueben Randle after the recent mini camps. Gilbride hasn't been known to give out unwarranted praise, so these comments aren't just hot air. He's been honest about players in the past.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Quotes-Kevin-Gilbride-on-outlook-of-offense/6f1a6026-4d7d-485c-bf60-1ab5ce67a391

Quote:
He looked like a guy that has been here for five or six years. He really benefitted from the opportunity. His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism, was outstanding. Now is that because they weren’t here or just because he had more reps? I don’t know but he certainly stepped into a leadership role. Not only did he grow he kind of became the bell cow of the receiving corps. He was first in line. He did all of those things. That was not what we saw last year; not by a longshot. So to see him growing like that was a great step forward for him, which will help us down the road.

Quote:
Oh, he is going to play – he is going to play a lot. He will play first and second-downs. He will be an outside receiver for us. Whether he is at the ‘X’ or the ‘Z,” he is going to play. He is looking like he deserves to be out there a significant time.

Randle clearly has the physical ability, and he displayed it at times last year. But as a rookie he probably didn't know the playbook well enough, and it sounded like he was a bit immature. So the comment about him taking a leadership role and looking like a 5 year veteran is very encouraging.

If both Nicks and Cruz are still unsigned going into free agency next year, Randle's play could dictate who we pay and how much. He has #1 receiver ability, and if it shows up on the field, perhaps we choose not to pay Nicks the $9 million per year he could get in free agency. Just some food for thought.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have plenty of confidence in Randle.

I don't in Jernigan. Anything positive on him? or has he reached Sinorace Moss status?
Gmen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggsam49 wrote:
I have plenty of confidence in Randle.

I don't in Jernigan. Anything positive on him? or has he reached Sinorace Moss status?

It didn't take me long to give up on Jernigan. He looked like he was afraid of contact as a rookie. Same thing with Sinorice Moss. Seems like a common theme with undersized WRs.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randle's why I'll feel alright if the Giants only resign Nicks or Cruz. He can ball. Louis Murphy apparently has been looking really good too
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilbride's system is complex and leads to a transition lag for WRs while they learn it. The most intriguing aspect of Randle is he's proved to be a vertical threat. A big boy guy that gets off press coverage and shows good hands. 3 WR sets with Cruz in the slot will be a major asset in 2013. This type of offense was utilize in the 2011 SB Run, and Mario Manningham was really a product of Manning. He was more suited for the slot, but made a few critical catches. So you replace Manningham with Randle whose more talented, the results should be a more dynamic offense.
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Randle plays to even half of his talent level then i expect a top 5 offense, well at least passing offense.

Im sorry but 2 outside receivers is better than one outside receiver and a slot receiver. If we can have 2 outside receivers then we can plug Jernigan into the slot. Whatever Randle does this year should not affect how we view Nicks. We most definitely should still prioritise Nicks over Cruz regardless of how Randle pans out.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
If Randle plays to even half of his talent level then i expect a top 5 offense, well at least passing offense.

Im sorry but 2 outside receivers is better than one outside receiver and a slot receiver. If we can have 2 outside receivers then we can plug Jernigan into the slot. Whatever Randle does this year should not affect how we view Nicks. We most definitely should still prioritise Nicks over Cruz regardless of how Randle pans out.

Agreed on all fronts. I love Cruz but Nicks is the key. He is the true #1 that will draw the double coverage and attention to free up the other outside guy. I won't say anyone can fill Cruz's shoes because his YAC is excellent. But as far as catch production goes I think Jernigan can fill that role but the YAC will take a big hit. But having outside receivers that can make big plays is worth more to this vertical passing offense.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Agreed on all fronts. I love Cruz but Nicks is the key. He is the true #1 that will draw the double coverage and attention to free up the other outside guy. I won't say anyone can fill Cruz's shoes because his YAC is excellent. But as far as catch production goes I think Jernigan can fill that role but the YAC will take a big hit. But having outside receivers that can make big plays is worth more to this vertical passing offense.

The funny thing is that the other day i read an article on Nicks where the writer said "Nicks has the talent to be a true #1 receiver". I was like "WHAT?"

Yeh i agree with you. I dont want to be dismissive of Cruz's ability. But he is far more replaceable and less than valuable than Nicks. I think Jerningan has YAC, he displayed it on college. He just hasnt had the opportunity to display YAC. I dunno if it will match Cruz but hes got some ability in that area.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

The funny thing is that the other day i read an article on Nicks where the writer said "Nicks has the talent to be a true #1 receiver". I was like "WHAT?"

Yeh i agree with you. I dont want to be dismissive of Cruz's ability. But he is far more replaceable and less than valuable than Nicks. I think Jerningan has YAC, he displayed it on college. He just hasnt had the opportunity to display YAC. I dunno if it will match Cruz but hes got some ability in that area.

the largest divisive/question-raising issue with Nicks is/has/will be his ability (or lackthereof?) to stay healthy for a full season. these should be the years that he doesn't have constant problems with injuries; healthiest and best shape of his life.

he'll be 25 years old this season. if he can't stay on the field at close to 100% for a full season, what kind of confidence can you have in a guy who locks up a massive contract ($50M+) and makes a living running down the field as he approaches the 30yo mark?
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what Football Outsiders have to say about Randle in their 2013 Almanach:

Quote:
Randle has all the physical ability you want in a receiver: 2013 is about turning that potential into production. With Victor Cruz best-suited for the slot, the Giants need Randle to develop into an outside receiver who can complement Hakeem Nicks. The trio gives New York one of the best sets of receivers in the league, but that all depends on Randle turning the corner in 2013.
Tom Coughlin and Kevin Gilbride separately praised Randle at OTAs, which is the kind of fluff you often hear in the offseason but is a good sign for a raw receiver. Gilbride noted that he expects Randle to see significant playing time, although it’s worth remembering that Gilbride’s top two wide receivers were absent from camp with contract issues.
At LSU, Randle was saddled with miserable quarterback play. That excuse doesn’t hold water in New York, and Randle did show some potential in limited action. While he didn’t see the field often, he gained over a yard per snap (do the math, and that’s a good sign if he can turn into a starter) and drew three pass interference penalties. Teams will be forced to put their second-best corner on him and safety help will usually head for Cruz in the middle of the field. With Domenik Hixon now in Carolina, there aren’t a lot of No. 3 receivers around the NFL in a better situation than Randle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: