Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sturm on the Offense

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 4004
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Sturm on the Offense Reply with quote

Excellent article from Bob Sturm summarizing how our offense performed last year in key areas. Sturm has categorized them into 5 Great Stats, 5 Good or Average Stats, and 5 Poor Stats.

Some highlights for me. Despite very good performance,or stats, in 1st Down Efficiency, 3 and Out Drives, 3rd Down Efficiency, and 1st Down Passing, we were middle of the pack in points scored. At the end of the day it's converting these stats or performances into points that counts. We were very good in Net Passing Yards Per Game, but again where were the points? That stat is inflated because we didn't run the ball as much.

Like Sturm I like to focus on the areas that need improvement and that would be giveaways. We had 29 turnovers. NFL Avg was 25. Playoff teams averaged 19. The old adage is true that it is tough to win if you turn the ball over.

Penalties. We had 117. NFL and playoff team average was 100. The great stats mean nothing if the drives get stalled.

Rushing plays called. NFL average was 42.3%. Playoff teams avg. 45.2%. We called rushing plays just over 1/3 of the time at 33.8%. Even if you are not a great running team you are not keeping defenses honest if you are that unbalanced in your playcalling.

Yards per play in the red zone. We avg. 2.43 when the NFL avg was 2.86, and playoff teams avg 2.92. When the field got shorter we had a harder time moving the ball. This was not helped by our playcalling tendency to overwhelmingly pass the ball.

Good find by Sturm. Have at it. He is going to dissect the defense as well.

http://sturminator.blogspot.ca/
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24660
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly I didn't mind the rushing disparity given our woeful inability to execute it. This team is best suited for an aerial assault akin to a West-Coast type of offense.

Our Redzone needs to improve. By a lot. Too much fire power to not finish the deal.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dirk Gently


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 6152
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the big issue is turnovers. We were well below average in giveaways and 31st in takeaways. That points to us being WAY down the list in turnover differential, which would be, IMO a key stat.

Edit: just looked it up. We were 27th in Turnover differential because we were apparently not 31st in Takeaways, as I thought we were.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24660
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
I think the big issue is turnovers. We were well below average in giveaways and 31st in takeaways. That points to us being WAY down the list in turnover differential, which would be, IMO a key stat.

Edit: just looked it up. We were 27th in Turnover differential because we were apparently not 31st in Takeaways, as I thought we were.


Turnovers were brutal. And frankly our overall first half of every game was atrocious.

For whatever reason our second-half adjustments were on fire, but man we were sluggish out of the gate.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3479
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the stat on what percent of the time the team was playing with a deficit. I think I remember hearing that it was near the top of the league. That combined with the inability to get yards by running would make for the run-pass disparity more so than Garrett being too pass happy.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24660
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
I want the stat on what percent of the time the team was playing with a deficit. I think I remember hearing that it was near the top of the league. That combined with the inability to get yards by running would make for the run-pass disparity more so than Garrett being too pass happy.


If my memory serves, we only led at the half in 1 game. (although we did tie in several)

I believe this is accurate, someone can fact check it though.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dirk Gently


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 6152
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
I want the stat on what percent of the time the team was playing with a deficit. I think I remember hearing that it was near the top of the league. That combined with the inability to get yards by running would make for the run-pass disparity more so than Garrett being too pass happy.


I think the telling one on that (Sturm wrote on it a couple of times) was that Dallas played with the lead at Cowboys stadium this year for something like 6 minutes and change. For the whole season. It only gets more deeply shocking the longer you think of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dboys88-82


Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 1761
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
I think the big issue is turnovers. We were well below average in giveaways and 31st in takeaways. That points to us being WAY down the list in turnover differential, which would be, IMO a key stat.

Edit: just looked it up. We were 27th in Turnover differential because we were apparently not 31st in Takeaways, as I thought we were.


Turnovers were brutal. And frankly our overall first half of every game was atrocious.

For whatever reason our second-half adjustments were on fire, but man we were sluggish out of the gate.


I dont know if they were really "second half adjustments" or if it was more that we were down by so much that we had to go to the no huddle pass like crazy offense just to have a chance of getting back into the game.

A lot of times we really had no other options by halftime.
_________________

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 3270
Location: J.J. Wilcox fan club headquarters
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
I think the big issue is turnovers. We were well below average in giveaways and 31st in takeaways. That points to us being WAY down the list in turnover differential, which would be, IMO a key stat.

Edit: just looked it up. We were 27th in Turnover differential because we were apparently not 31st in Takeaways, as I thought we were.


Turnovers were brutal. And frankly our overall first half of every game was atrocious.

For whatever reason our second-half adjustments were on fire, but man we were sluggish out of the gate.


I dont know if they were really "second half adjustments" or if it was more that we were down by so much that we had to go to the no huddle pass like crazy offense just to have a chance of getting back into the game.

A lot of times we really had no other options by halftime.



I was going to respond with something like this.

It seemed that Garrett's play calling and game strategy was horrible. Week after week we come out and do nothing, which is mostly on him and his "plan" for the game. In the no huddle and hurry up the QB is given the role of play caller and game planner(although he doesn't have a week to put it together). The offense was on fire when Romo had this control. I saw it. You saw it. Everyone saw it. Then the next week we would go with Garrett's plan again, and again it would fail, and again Romo would take charge and light it up. Even Jerry saw it. That's why the responsibility got moved from Garrett. That's why Jerry wanted Romo to start spending Manning type time. It's because he will have a manning type role in the offense now. QB/OC, a role that he seemingly struck gold with last year. Unfortunately often to late in the game.
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 4004
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Interestingly I didn't mind the rushing disparity given our woeful inability to execute it. This team is best suited for an aerial assault akin to a West-Coast type of offense.

Our Redzone needs to improve. By a lot. Too much fire power to not finish the deal.


T07 I was thinking the same thing but then I thought you still have to try and have some semblance of a running game to at least try and keep the defense honest. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't. As you point out we were woeful at executing the run. But with such a disparity in the playcalling we became predictable. Regardless our inability to effectively run the ball impacts our play calling which is an issue that we have to resolve.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24660
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Interestingly I didn't mind the rushing disparity given our woeful inability to execute it. This team is best suited for an aerial assault akin to a West-Coast type of offense.

Our Redzone needs to improve. By a lot. Too much fire power to not finish the deal.


T07 I was thinking the same thing but then I thought you still have to try and have some semblance of a running game to at least try and keep the defense honest. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't. As you point out we were woeful at executing the run. But with such a disparity in the playcalling we became predictable. Regardless our inability to effectively run the ball impacts our play calling which is an issue that we have to resolve.


See, I more or less agree with an *.

I would love to see a study as to our run/pass ration in our no huddle formation. Especially given that I feel that is our best formation.

I have contended for a long time that Romo is surrounded by a cast of misfits when it comes to football IQ. The more they think, the worse they do - but on broken plays that demand instinct over succinct thoughts you see magic happen with this team.

I also wonder how many times Romo checks out from a run to a pass and vice versa. So the actual percentages don't bother me for that reason.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sniderboys23


Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 1348
Location: Haslet, TX
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
I think the big issue is turnovers. We were well below average in giveaways and 31st in takeaways. That points to us being WAY down the list in turnover differential, which would be, IMO a key stat.

Edit: just looked it up. We were 27th in Turnover differential because we were apparently not 31st in Takeaways, as I thought we were.


Turnovers were brutal. And frankly our overall first half of every game was atrocious.

For whatever reason our second-half adjustments were on fire, but man we were sluggish out of the gate.


I dont know if they were really "second half adjustments" or if it was more that we were down by so much that we had to go to the no huddle pass like crazy offense just to have a chance of getting back into the game.

A lot of times we really had no other options by halftime.



I was going to respond with something like this.

It seemed that Garrett's play calling and game strategy was horrible. Week after week we come out and do nothing, which is mostly on him and his "plan" for the game. In the no huddle and hurry up the QB is given the role of play caller and game planner(although he doesn't have a week to put it together). The offense was on fire when Romo had this control. I saw it. You saw it. Everyone saw it. Then the next week we would go with Garrett's plan again, and again it would fail, and again Romo would take charge and light it up. Even Jerry saw it. That's why the responsibility got moved from Garrett. That's why Jerry wanted Romo to start spending Manning type time. It's because he will have a manning type role in the offense now. QB/OC, a role that he seemingly struck gold with last year. Unfortunately often to late in the game.
this is where I hope Callahan is greatly better at... would be nice to get some leads instead of playing from behind all the time
_________________


Major Props to El Ramster!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
sniderboys23


Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 1348
Location: Haslet, TX
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
I think the big issue is turnovers. We were well below average in giveaways and 31st in takeaways. That points to us being WAY down the list in turnover differential, which would be, IMO a key stat.

Edit: just looked it up. We were 27th in Turnover differential because we were apparently not 31st in Takeaways, as I thought we were.


Turnovers were brutal. And frankly our overall first half of every game was atrocious.

For whatever reason our second-half adjustments were on fire, but man we were sluggish out of the gate.


I dont know if they were really "second half adjustments" or if it was more that we were down by so much that we had to go to the no huddle pass like crazy offense just to have a chance of getting back into the game.

A lot of times we really had no other options by halftime.



I was going to respond with something like this.

It seemed that Garrett's play calling and game strategy was horrible. Week after week we come out and do nothing, which is mostly on him and his "plan" for the game. In the no huddle and hurry up the QB is given the role of play caller and game planner(although he doesn't have a week to put it together). The offense was on fire when Romo had this control. I saw it. You saw it. Everyone saw it. Then the next week we would go with Garrett's plan again, and again it would fail, and again Romo would take charge and light it up. Even Jerry saw it. That's why the responsibility got moved from Garrett. That's why Jerry wanted Romo to start spending Manning type time. It's because he will have a manning type role in the offense now. QB/OC, a role that he seemingly struck gold with last year. Unfortunately often to late in the game.
this is where I hope Callahan is greatly better at... would be nice to get some leads instead of playing from behind all the time
_________________


Major Props to El Ramster!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group