Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Pittsburgh Pirate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stefan52268


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 6836
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice win today. Split series with the Reds. Pedro with a big game. 3-4 , 1- HR, 5 RBI's. He seems to love afternoon games. lol
_________________

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 23964
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan52268 wrote:
Nice win today. Split series with the Reds. Pedro with a big game. 3-4 , 1- HR, 5 RBI's. He seems to love afternoon games. lol


Awesome

Can't belive Girili gave up that home run last night!!!
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stefan52268


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 6836
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
stefan52268 wrote:
Nice win today. Split series with the Reds. Pedro with a big game. 3-4 , 1- HR, 5 RBI's. He seems to love afternoon games. lol


Awesome

Can't belive Girili gave up that home run last night!!!


I didn't watch lasts night game until the 11th inning.
_________________

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34549
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates are rumored to be working on a deal to get Giancarlo Stanton!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lionslicer


Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 1809
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Pirates are rumored to be working on a deal to get Giancarlo Stanton!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked


This is something I hope they don't do. He's the only thing the Marlins have, they wont let him go easily. If they give up Taillon, Tony Sanchez, and Polanco, (probably more) I will not be a happy camper. That's too much talent to give up for an injury prone guy plus his contract gets more expensive after this season, and the Pirates don't have the payroll to make up for what he and Cutch will be making.

If they do get him, that really helps them in the playoff race. But I think it ruins their future chances of staying above .500 on a more consistent basis. They might make the playoffs this year just to go back to the basement of the MLB.
_________________
Kickers are people too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34549
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanchez is just not coming around in the minors... at age 25
Taillon is an elite prospect; but that's all he is.
Polanco is very, very expandable. He'll never have a place here. He's likely never going to overtake Austin Meadows and definitely not Josh Bell.

Not to mention we just drafted Reese. He's a better prospect at 18 than Sanchez was at 21.

We give up PROSPECTS for a proven, young all-star with 3+ years of command. He'll get 8-9 million from arbitration, and we will have freed up money when they dump trash like Clint Barmes and his 5.5 million...
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlanFanecaFan


Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 10902
Location: Getting hammered with Jeff Reed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanchez is having his best offensive year of his career...hitting over .300 with double digit HRs and his highest walk rate ever.

Polanco is a far superior prospect then Meadows or Bell. Polanco is a 5 tool guy who is better in every facet of the game over Bell save for raw power and that's rapidly closing as well. Meadows can be another Polanco if everything cones together.

You might wanna know what you're talking about before saying something that is completely false.
_________________


Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34549
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Sanchez is having his best offensive year of his career...hitting over .300 with double digit HRs and his highest walk rate ever.

Polanco is a far superior prospect then Meadows or Bell. Polanco is a 5 tool guy who is better in every facet of the game over Bell save for raw power and that's rapidly closing as well. Meadows can be another Polanco if everything cones together.

You might wanna know what you're talking about before saying something that is completely false.


In other words, my views aren't yours, so you're going to come off arrogantly to put someone else down for no reason. Cute, but I'm not amused.

Let's not throw around five-tool. His arm isn't elite and neither is his defense. Neither are bad at all, but his arm and defense don't match Marte. That is a five-tool player. I also didn't say they were better than Polanco, at all. I said he'll likely never overtake them. Bell was rated a better prospect coming out pre-injury. Only reason he fell to us was because he committed to college, until we flash 5 mills in his face.

This club has no chance come October without making a big splash, finally. We have question marks at SS, RF, 1B, as it is. We have no power other than inconsistent Pedro, and an offense that is slim as it is. You get 3+ years of control over one of the top 5 power hitters in the league before he's even at his prime.

Can you honestly tell me this club right now, has a shot without making a big move? How long do you expect the pitching to bail us out?
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlanFanecaFan


Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 10902
Location: Getting hammered with Jeff Reed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Sanchez is having his best offensive year of his career...hitting over .300 with double digit HRs and his highest walk rate ever.

Polanco is a far superior prospect then Meadows or Bell. Polanco is a 5 tool guy who is better in every facet of the game over Bell save for raw power and that's rapidly closing as well. Meadows can be another Polanco if everything cones together.

You might wanna know what you're talking about before saying something that is completely false.


In other words, my views aren't yours, so you're going to come off arrogantly to put someone else down for no reason. Cute, but I'm not amused.

Let's not throw around five-tool. His arm isn't elite and neither is his defense. Neither are bad at all, but his arm and defense don't match Marte. That is a five-tool player. I also didn't say they were better than Polanco, at all. I said he'll likely never overtake them. Bell was rated a better prospect coming out pre-injury. Only reason he fell to us was because he committed to college, until we flash 5 mills in his face.

This club has no chance come October without making a big splash, finally. We have question marks at SS, RF, 1B, as it is. We have no power other than inconsistent Pedro, and an offense that is slim as it is. You get 3+ years of control over one of the top 5 power hitters in the league before he's even at his prime.

Can you honestly tell me this club right now, has a shot without making a big move? How long do you expect the pitching to bail us out?


-Not arrogant...just pointed out that you were just plain wrong on Sanchez saying he hasn't done anything while I showed you that the statement was completely wrong.

-Polanco has more then enough arm and more importantly range to play Cf...Bell is limited to a corner spot. You also said he would never overtake Bell...he already has.

-What does pre draft ranking have to do with anything now? Polanco is just a superior prospect now...pretty much a consensus top 40-50 guy next year if not higher.Bell is a 80-100 guy maybe borderline...not saying bell is bad, hes a damn solid prospect but Polanco is just a tier or two above him.

-The team is treading water til Aj and Wandy are back....offense needs work.
I understand both sides of a deal getting Stanton but trading Talion/Polanco/Sanchez or a comparable player.

They're going to have to do something...wether its Stanton or Rios from the ChiSox. Rios would be a solid upgrade in RF due to pretty even solid and probably only costing a decent/solid prospect and a lottery ticket.

No obvious available upgrades out there at SS and Gaby/Jones is producing fairly compared to their cost...I'm not aware of any available and viable alternatives.
_________________


Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34549
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Bell was projected as a CF. His problem was his injury last year. He's better defensively, but Polanco's speed is the reason he's at CF. His arm is good, like Cutch's, but no where near the level of Marte's (who's is, really?) but Bell's arm is definitely better than Polanco. I can't call him a five-tool guy unless he can improve his arm and improve his overall defense. Like I said, not bad; but not five-tool level.

- He's overtaken Bell for now, but that doesn't help Bell that he's had very, very little MiLB experience. Give him time, I'm willing to bet he's better than Polanco and better for this club. Bell's ceiling is excellent at the plate. It's not irrational to say he's got the future stats of .300 / 30 / 90. Switch hitter, who can hit either lefties or righties, regardless of how he's swinging? Yes, please.

- I like the idea of Rios, but isn't he at the tail end of a massive overpayment on it? Can we really afford that? I'd rather do that for Stanton over 3+ years. I like the idea of Rios and his 20/20 seasons; but not at his price.

- Gaby / Jones do fine now, but I'm not fond of 4.5 million for Jones when it's clear he can't hit lefties. I thought he was coming around, but he's so awful against lefties that at this point, I trust Barmes behind the plate more than I do Jones. What's aggravating is he isn't making adjustments at the plate when he does face lefties. Watch Pedro yesterday. He doesn't go for his normal wheelhouse swing. He adjusts, gets in front of the pitch, and nearly drives it out of the park. Jones doesn't make those adjustments.

- Also, to be very clear; I was in no way, shape or form, saying Polanco wasn't a good prospect. He's a great prospect, and I'd say in the top 50. By expandable, I meant that with our depth; he's the most MLB-ready and has the most trade value in order to bring in a household name like Stanton. For now, Polanco is clearly better. I still feel Bell and Meadows will be better MLB players when their careers end.

- Also, what has Sanchez shown before this year? He was struggling at the plate at times. He wasn't showing any elite numbers that were expected when he was drafted. Is that not true?
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stefan52268


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 6836
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole pitched another good game. Plus they got him some runs early.
_________________

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 6661
Location: Because it's the Cup, PA (get well Mal)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alvarez is on one of his tears. More Jordy Mercer and less Clint Barmes please.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34549
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown fond of Mercer. He's nothing special, but he's a nice stop-gap. Arm is reasonable and his range isn't bad at short. Not great, but good enough; which is all we need. He's starting to come around at the plate. Showing some patience, making adjustments, etc. I hope Barmes isn't re-signed. Mercer as an every day SS for us for now works. Perhaps he can continue to improve and stick around until Hansen is ready?
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 6661
Location: Because it's the Cup, PA (get well Mal)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I've grown fond of Mercer. He's nothing special, but he's a nice stop-gap. Arm is reasonable and his range isn't bad at short. Not great, but good enough; which is all we need. He's starting to come around at the plate. Showing some patience, making adjustments, etc. I hope Barmes isn't re-signed. Mercer as an every day SS for us for now works. Perhaps he can continue to improve and stick around until Hansen is ready?


I hope not either! I can't believe he's making as much as he is right now. If Mercer can just be an average offensive and defensive player at SS I will take it until Hanson is ready for the big leagues.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JPeezy55


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 3443
Location: 412
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would love to have Stanton. I just could not get rid of Taillon.
_________________

Welcome to Sixburgh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 8 of 24

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group