Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Players that shouldn't be on the roster in week 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Players that shouldn't be on the roster in week 1 Reply with quote

Instead of asking about who we want the most I thought it would be more interesting to find out who we wanted the least (or disliked the most). The players that I hope get replaced are:

Dylan Gandy--a serviceable back-up but has never really done too much on the field and couldn't beat out Peterman for a starting role. Rodney Austin has learned to play center and guard and might have starting potential down the road

Kris Durham--the only reason he was brought in was because of injuries. He has great size he just isn't a very good WR. The dude is 6'6". I always wondered if he could add enough weight to become a good pass-catching TE.

Brian Robiskie--was supposed to be the most pro-ready WR in his class. He hasn't made much of an impact in Cleveland or Miami. He is only on the roster because of injuries.

As far as big names that I wish could be replaced but can't right now(Mayhew can only fix so many things at once):

Brandon Pettigrew--just an slightly above average TE who has trouble catching passes longer than 15 yards. He should be able to thrive over the middle with Calvin Johnson drawing so much coverage.

Nate Burleson--he was getting very little separation in coverage and looked very linear before the injury. I sincerely hope Corey Fuller develops quickly.

Dominic Raiola--he has been a pretty good center for a long time but it as painful to see him getting pushed around the last to years. I know he added some muscle during he off-season but his best days are behind him. He should benefit greatly by playing between Sims and Warford.

DeAndre Levy--he has been either inconsistent or injured. He is ok but personally, I want more than just "ok" from a starting LB.

How does everyone else see it?
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in Ziggy Ansah and Larry Warford.

I hate the Ziggy pick but I don't hate the player. I wish the best for him and hope I'm wrong about him being a Kelmba Edwards type player and he bust close/near double digit sacks his first season. Razz

Larry Warford I've liked through the whole process. He's not exactly quick in space but he moves his feet well for a 330lb man and doesn't trip over himself. I said he'd be a day 1 starter and the best interior linemen we had and I'm sticking to it. Hopefully this guy proves me right and I don't look like a fool. Mad

Riley Reiff is pretty much in his rookie season to me. This is his make or break year for me. He needs to come in and prove he's a capable LT, to prove that this staff has a vision, and prove to me this staff can develop talent(why else was he on the bench last year?)

Mathew Stafford needs to prove to me he's in the same conversation as the greats and not a Mark Bugler copy-cat in Linehans offense. Good decisions, game winnings plays, taking control of the game/huddle/play-calls, undeniable leadership, this is the stuff I wanna see Stafford do instead of toss balls wildly for a bail-out, and looking at the sideline for playcalls.

None of these guys are people I want off the roster just improvements I'd like to see in them week 1 or by there bye week.

People I rather not see on this team are Dominic Riaola. He's a hot headed player with not much physical talent. He's just a bad image, imo, since his flipping off days of the crowd. It'd be great to see Harris take his spot over and provide some sort of upgrade on the interior over Riaola.

Also wouldn't upset me to see someone rise above Pettigrew and take his starting role away.

Last edited by Jrugges on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 4 times in total
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id probably put Durham at the top of my list.

I just re-watched @GB, and he let us down big time in that one. Drops, poor routes, incorrect routes. One could argue that if we had any one of Nate, Titus, or Broyles that we would of won. Oh well, sour grapes I guess.

Lions017

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys like Pettigrew and Levy have no place on a list like this. Sure, they're not superstars, but they're at least decent players that do some things very well even if they haven't lived up to our expectations.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Guys like Pettigrew and Levy have no place on a list like this. Sure, they're not superstars, but they're at least decent players that do some things very well even if they haven't lived up to our expectations.

Definitely. Every team has those few guys that aren't anything special but do their job well enough. I've never been a big fan of either of those guys, but they'd have a spot on 32/32 rosters in the NFL. They might be backups in other places, but they'd hardly be considered our worst starters. Hell, Levy isn't even our worst starting LB.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

I just re-watched @GB, and he let us down big time in that one. Drops, poor routes, incorrect routes. One could argue that if we had any one of Nate, Titus, or Broyles that we would of won. Oh well, sour grapes I guess.

How'd you watch the game??
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
I'm interested in Ziggy Ansah
Me too

Jrugges wrote:
I hate the Ziggy pick
HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Yes that's really all I got out of that post

R.I.P. Stylish
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

How'd you watch the game??

NFL game rewind most likely. I've been rewatching games from 2010 and comparing them to 2011. Seeing what the difference is between the two seasons.

Biggest things sticking out to me right now. Threats besides Calvin on the field and defensive turnovers resulting in scores. 2010, Jahvid Best and Titus Young really took advantage of those matchups behind Calvin. Last year Broyles had a couple good games, and we got a little more out of the run game. But no one opened it up when Calvin was doubled/tripled. I'm hoping Bush adds some of that to the team, but I'd still love a great #2 next to Calvin. Broyles can be that slot guy, but Nate is up in age and I'm not sure we have that #2 on the team.

Also, we seemed to force a lot of turnovers on defense/special teams in 2010 compared to last year. Interceptions, pick-6s, forced fumbles, etc. We didn't get those plays last year. No wonder Schwartz/Mayhew said they needed to go out and find play makers, because we lacked them severely last season and not just on offense. Cliff looked lackadaisical last season, you can see KVB struggle with the speed of the game, Willie Young didn't look good. Our secondary was atrocious outside of Chris Houston. Getting younger/quicker at DE, adding Glover Quin, hopefully Slay can start right away.... we might at the very least be back to the team we were in 2010 when they won 10 games and made the playoffs.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Riley Reiff's make or break season? That sounds a bit... extreme.

Team Stylish
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I can jump on this anti-Kris Durham bandwagon. He struggled last year but his issues are mental and and technique related and both of those can be fixed. I do not expect him to make the team but it is totally on him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
This is Riley Reiff's make or break season? That sounds a bit... extreme.

If he isn't successful at LT this year do you feel comfortable coming back the following season with him as our LT? I mean, he's pretty much got to prove imo, this year, he's capable of playing LT. Otherwise we need to go out and get a LT, and he's prolly not worth the 18th pick or whatever. That's all I'm saying on my end.

If you wanna spin it as to he has one season to prove he's a capable player than fine but that's not what I said. Being a capable player along the O-line and being a teams possible franchise LT are a bit different imo. I don't expect him to be perfect but I do expect him to be good/above average. I really don't think that's too much to ask for really when you are drafted in the 1st round with a season of grooming for the position. An honestly, his success will give me confidence that this staff(coaching/management) have a real vision for the players they draft.

IDOG_det wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
I'm interested in Ziggy Ansah
Me too

Jrugges wrote:
I hate the Ziggy pick
HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Yes that's really all I got out of that post

Hey at least I'm putting it out there instead of keeping quite till November and then telling everyone I knew it all along! Wink I really want him to be good. It's not like I'm rooting against him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: