Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which Player's Development Are You Most Concerned About?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
I would have to agree with most of these answers, minus Clady. He's established.

I would agree with Blake mostly, media has been extra quiet about him, so you wonder if thats going down the tubes.

Osweiler I'm concerned not really about his development but more about how the fan base treats him when it is time for Manning to pass the torch. We've heard glowing reports, but he's taking the job of an all time great. I'm concerned about how the fan base will react to him in the event that hes very solid, solid enough to win a Super Bowl, but not like top 5 in the league as we'll have become used to seeing after a few years of Manning. Could definitely see some fan freakouts if he's not like Aaron Rodgers was after sitting for several years and taking over Favre's job.

Another I agree with is Quanterus Smith. Just really doubt he lives up to what people in this forum think he'll be. If he does, great I'll welcome it, but I wont be surprised if he's not this high impact pass rusher that some think he'll be. Some huge expectations around here for a 5th rounder.

I don't really know what to say to this post I'd agree the fan base is expecting a franchise qb. I think the days of just a serviceable qb winning a Superbowl are over. Since the Bucs you could argue that every Superbowl winning team had a top 10 qb. Look at Joe in the Playoffs last year 11 tds zero INTs. The Quarterback play has really elevated since the early 2000s. If Brock is just a serviceable starter I as a fan won't settle for that and the front office shouldn't either. If he has growing pains his first year that's fine but I want to see flashes of potential. The lowest ceiling I'd settle with as a fan is a Joe Flacco type. A qbs that is in the 10 to 12 range that can lead a team and make some plays.

How does the fan base react if he has an Eli type start to his career. Just all over the place. Eli can be a top 10 QB and Super Bowl winner one year and a bottom half qb the next year. Or even a Cutler type. You see so much flashes of excellence but at the same time there are some brutal moments.

We have, and are getting used to the model of consistency, smart decision making, competitive drive, and all around quality QB play. Brock wont be that. But I do kind of worry about what extent of a fall off the fan base will be willing to accept. I think Brock will be very good, but I just hope some don't expect what we see from Peyton Manning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
I would have to agree with most of these answers, minus Clady. He's established.

I would agree with Blake mostly, media has been extra quiet about him, so you wonder if thats going down the tubes.

Osweiler I'm concerned not really about his development but more about how the fan base treats him when it is time for Manning to pass the torch. We've heard glowing reports, but he's taking the job of an all time great. I'm concerned about how the fan base will react to him in the event that hes very solid, solid enough to win a Super Bowl, but not like top 5 in the league as we'll have become used to seeing after a few years of Manning. Could definitely see some fan freakouts if he's not like Aaron Rodgers was after sitting for several years and taking over Favre's job.

Another I agree with is Quanterus Smith. Just really doubt he lives up to what people in this forum think he'll be. If he does, great I'll welcome it, but I wont be surprised if he's not this high impact pass rusher that some think he'll be. Some huge expectations around here for a 5th rounder.

I don't really know what to say to this post I'd agree the fan base is expecting a franchise qb. I think the days of just a serviceable qb winning a Superbowl are over. Since the Bucs you could argue that every Superbowl winning team had a top 10 qb. Look at Joe in the Playoffs last year 11 tds zero INTs. The Quarterback play has really elevated since the early 2000s. If Brock is just a serviceable starter I as a fan won't settle for that and the front office shouldn't either. If he has growing pains his first year that's fine but I want to see flashes of potential. The lowest ceiling I'd settle with as a fan is a Joe Flacco type. A qbs that is in the 10 to 12 range that can lead a team and make some plays.

How does the fan base react if he has an Eli type start to his career. Just all over the place. Eli can be a top 10 QB and Super Bowl winner one year and a bottom half qb the next year. Or even a Cutler type. You see so much flashes of excellence but at the same time there are some brutal moments.

We have, and are getting used to the model of consistency, smart decision making, competitive drive, and all around quality QB play. Brock wont be that. But I do kind of worry about what extent of a fall off the fan base will be willing to accept. I think Brock will be very good, but I just hope some don't expect what we see from Peyton Manning.

It really all depends on how great the flashes are. I believe Brock will always get compared to Wilson here in Denver. Wilson is as consistent as the come. I guess I fall in the minority you refer to. I mean I expect a couple of bumps in the road but nothing cutler or eli like. He will have a chance to sit for three years learning behind the best mental aspect qb the game has ever seen. See I don't expect top 5 talent but I expect a top 10 mental makeup.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:

Actually I think we'll get a pretty entertaining mix of PM precision and Elway like scrambling and deep gun. Could be a pretty lethal combination.

I can hardly wait to see him in preseason. I'm curious if they'll exploit the deep ball a bit more with Brock, let him stretch the field vertically.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Blake is a good shout. He looked poor in preseason last year, and with him landing on IR early last season, he missed practice all season long. With Walton still recovering I assume, he has a really good chance at these OTAs and early in TC to make an impression.

Irving is certainly another. He isn't going to be on the field all that much for a 'starter', because he will only play in our base 4-3, but that is still about 20-30% of the snaps. He is the definition of unproven right now. Here's hoping he stays healthy and gets a fair crack at it.

MUFC OK
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Philip Blake is a good shout. He looked poor in preseason last year, and with him landing on IR early last season, he missed practice all season long. With Walton still recovering I assume, he has a really good chance at these OTAs and early in TC to make an impression.
Irving is certainly another. He isn't going to be on the field all that much for a 'starter', because he will only play in our base 4-3, but that is still about 20-30% of the snaps. He is the definition of unproven right now. Here's hoping he stays healthy and gets a fair crack at it.

You would have thought so. Apparently he's buried behind Ramirez and Davis. Not a good sign.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

You would have thought so. Apparently he's buried behind Ramirez and Davis. Not a good sign.
I don't think he's cleared for full drills yet.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Blake still isn't cleared from a thumb injury? Confused
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this season it's Nate Irving. I've actually liked what i have seen from him in his small amount of playing time, but he needs to step it up this season.

Long term, obviously it is Brock Osweiler. I have no idea how he developed, i liked the pick, but as of now he needs to continue developing as the future for this franchise.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Blake still isn't cleared from a thumb injury? Confused

Sorry I thought you were talking about Walton. I think Blake is probably going to be cut.
dazbroncos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent seen much of Brock so its hard to say if he is a concern yet...

What is a concern is that he will have exactly the same issues Griese had when he took over. .....

Following a HOF QB is a NIGHTMARE irrespective of how good you are...
(Luck excepted).

The shoes in the majority of cases are too big to fill and everytime something doesnt go right the first reaction is.."Elway would have made that... or Peyton hits those...."

Anyway, I hope he breaks the mold but its a very, very hard task.

GO Broncos
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazbroncos wrote:
Havent seen much of Brock so its hard to say if he is a concern yet...

What is a concern is that he will have exactly the same issues Griese had when he took over. .....

Following a HOF QB is a NIGHTMARE irrespective of how good you are...
(Luck excepted).

Its usually coach struggling to find a very good QB. Rodgers was loved pretty quickily as was Luck. It is moreso if you're bad your going to be hated by fans for being bad after they're used to a really good QB. It might put more pressure on them for comparisons. After Young retired from SF I think it was Carmazzi and they constantly claimed him as the next Joe Montana. He broke down and fell apart pretty quickily. Though w/ QBs you seem to either have it or not. Bulger took over for Warner and he had it. He got shell shocked later but you knew he had skills to be i the NFL whereas watching Chris Simms, Kevin O`Connell, Tom Brandstater, etc you could see they didnt really have it.

Though outside of Donovan McNabb I can't think of a good QB that was really disliked by the home fans.

As for Griese correct me if I'm wrong but he never played 16 games and really only had 1 good year in 2000. The others just to many turnovers.
AKRNA wrote:

Actually I think we'll get a pretty entertaining mix of PM precision and Elway like scrambling and deep gun. Could be a pretty lethal combination.

I can hardly wait to see him in preseason. I'm curious if they'll exploit the deep ball a bit more with Brock, let him stretch the field vertically.

I think you're overrating Osweiler's scrambling ability. He isn't the athlete of Elway and I dont think he could break off the runs that make it worth having him scramble much. Though I want to see him in a vertical offense. When I watched ASU I wish they let loose and let him sling in instead of watching that short screen game they ran. Though that team was an awful one and I guess no one respected the HC because he was an awful HC.
33GoBroncos33

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of DRC? For the most part I'm seeing Nate Irving and Brock Oswiler (however you spell it)... unless Nate steps up in a big way, he will see the field less than 35% of the time. If the offense is improved, as it should be, the Broncos should be ahead a lot and playing out of the nickle and dime even more than last year. And the worst possible position the Broncos could be in this year is if Peyton gets hurt and Brock has to play... regardless of his improvement. If Irving can stuff the run behind a huge d-line and Brock can properly warm a bench, I'm not worried about them this year.
DRC will be on the field this year in base, nickle and dime. With his poor play the last two years, I am way more concerned about his consistency than any other single player. I am not worried at all about Champ or Chris Harris; they know their strenghts and play within themselves. DRC may be supremely athletic, but I would hate to see him play as overly agressive as he has in the past. For every route he jumps for a big pick, he guesses wrong and gives up 2 big plays. If he can learn from Champ to be consistent, DRC will be a great FA signing... but he must prove it first. I could care less about what he did at the Combine or his first few years in Arizona. If he plays the way he did in Philly, I'd much rather see Chris Harris start opposite Champ in base, and move to slot for nickle and dime... even then DRC would require help over the top from a safety if he doesn't learn to play a consistent game.
I hope he can finally be "the guy" opposite Champ this year and prove he is worth a second contract, but I am reserving the right to say "I told you so" to all my friends that keep telling me his 40 time.
howie102

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

33GoBroncos33 wrote:
No mention of DRC? DRC will be on the field this year in base, nickle and dime. With his poor play the last two years, I am way more concerned about his consistency than any other single player.
If he plays the way he did in Philly, I'd much rather see Chris Harris start opposite Champ in base, and move to slot for nickle and dime... even then DRC would require help over the top from a safety if he doesn't learn to play a consistent game.

My understanding (and by mine, I mean that which has been passed onto me by my learned American chums) is that DRC won't be used in the base as much as expected. Brought in to cover any absolute speedsters, Harris and Champ will start in the base, with Harris slipping to the nickleback role when needed.

But seeing as he may well not be here next year, I'm not so bothered. Fill a role, play well for his next paycheque and move on.

Concerned as to how Smith comes back from surgery, although we won't get a chance to see much, if any, this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be having a complete mental blank but who is Smith?
howie102

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Might be having a complete mental blank but who is Smith?

Quanterus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: