Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Good article on Capers/defending the option

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Good article on Capers/defending the option Reply with quote

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-defense-studies-the-read-option-b9930393z1-210919171.html

Quotes from him in there. They have placed an emphasis on it this offseason.
squire12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read.
Big part of SF success comes from their OL play. Even when Smith was the starter, they had a potent and balanced offense mostly due to running and action off it. Kaepernick and the read option just adds another dimension that they can use. Combine that with Harbaugh and creative personnel groupings and willingness to use formations, personnel groupings and creative "unorthodox" play calls out of those formations and groupings all make their offense very difficult to plan for.
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the Ravens threw a little bit of a twist in their blitzing schemes to get to him or something, but I don't know. I don't know if safety blitzes or just having defensive linemen that can get lateral quicker are what stops it but seems for sure like the blitzes they threw at Kap rattled him a bit during the game. This year we play not only Kapernick but also RG3 so it'll be a real test for us both games.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dom Capers says Green Bay did touch on it but admitted the 49ers ran more of it than they expected.

The most concerning quote of the offseason by far. I'm a Capers defender but WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING. $&#($*%(*((##

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
Quote:
Dom Capers says Green Bay did touch on it but admitted the 49ers ran more of it than they expected.

The most concerning quote of the offseason by far. I'm a Capers defender but WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING. $&#($*%(*((##

The Niners honestly didn't run that much of it before that game, iirc.

Three things really screwed us over:
1) Walden, we've all been over this...
2) CK7 scrambling, forcing the secondary to keep their eye on him.
3) After we kept our eye on him scrambling he beat us through the air.

To be honest I'm beginning to think we need more athleticism at ILB and Safety. McMillian should've been on the field more in that game.

Sig brought to you by Justo
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:
Quote:

The Niners honestly didn't run that much of it before that game, iirc.

Three things really screwed us over:
1) Walden, we've all been over this...
2) CK7 scrambling, forcing the secondary to keep their eye on him.
3) After we kept our eye on him scrambling he beat us through the air.

To be honest I'm beginning to think we need more athleticism at ILB and Safety. McMillian should've been on the field more in that game.

You are looking for athleticism, but calling for the wrong name. McMillan gets worse the farther he gets from the LOS. Jennings is a bit more athletic but has limitations against a more physical style of play. It's a catch-22.
BartStarving

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not going to be easy but, I like the attitude being expressed by Mr. Capers. It's a copy cat league and you know they all saw that nightmare against the Niners. Among other things:

a) Perry needs to buy into linebacker and Matthews has to think gap control; something he hasn't been asked to do much of so far. These guys are both talented enough to think run and still inflict pain on QBs.

b) Raji has to make better use of those talented feet. I'd love to see him at 330 lbs instead of 350+. Natone should help right away. I really hope Neal wakes up in camp. Jones and Neal could eat some gaps and still give a strong push. A healthy Worthy would be icing on the cake. It's not as glamorous as sacks but, gap control is job one against the read.

c) There is so much shaking out to do in the ILBs and secondary that it's difficult to assess personnel but, pursuit and tackling must take precedence over ballhawking against the read. I'd love to see how this unit does in training camp against Lacy and Franklin. Randall Cobb was recruited as an option QB. I'd love to see him get some snaps at QB in read option drills.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: