Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Upshaw overweight again; Harbaugh calls him out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Upshaw overweight again; Harbaugh calls him out Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9352197/baltimore-ravens-coach-john-harbaugh-says-courtney-upshaw-eats-too-much

Quote:
"Courtney's weight issue -- which he does need some pounds -- is that he doesn't eat right," Harbaugh told the club's website. "Courtney eats too much and he doesn't eat all the right foods.

"He knows that and that's something he's going to have to get a handle on, or he's not going to be the best he can be. But he's aware of it. Everybody in our building is involved with it. He'll be in fighting shape, I promise you that."

We've known for a couple of days now that Upshaw reported to OTA's overweight but with Harbaugh commenting publicly about it thought I might as well start a thread.

It's the second straight year that Upshaw has reported to camp overweight... last year it was training camp, this year, OTA's. In terms of how it'll impact his season, I think it will hopefully be minimal... that they caught it in late May means they have the rest of the summer to work his butt back into playing shape, and you can bet that someone will be keeping tabs on him even after OTA's end to make sure he doesn't fall back into bad habits before training camp.

Longer term, we're not just going to be able to babysit Upshaw and make sure he's not just eating Big Macs for the rest of his career. Hopefully this is a wake up call for him; the guy has talent but if he can't show some self control, take care of his body, and eat healthy, he's not going to wash out before long.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes the Simon pick look a little better (not that I disliked it). Upshaw could use someone gunning for his spot/role

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with this team and trouble with weight?!

Oh well, Courtney is a backup / role player anyways.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be something of a Nick Saban factor going on here, similar to what somepeople experience when they first leave home.

Indulge me for a moment, if you will.

Saban is a known micromanager, and it works for him on the college level, just like strict parenting works for some. But then these guys get out from under his thumb, are suddenly given freedoms they didn't have before, and everything we thought about them seems to be incorrect.

Guys like Jamarcus Russell, and Rolando McClain morph from being solid citizens and can't miss stars into problem children who are out of the league inside 3-4 years. Andre Smith, Terrence Cody, and Upshaw were always big guys, but balloon up even more as soon as someone isn't monitoring what, when, and how much they eat.

I don't want to bash Saban, and I know other surefire stars from other programs have failed to live up to their collegiate billing once they get to the NFL. But I can't think of any other high profile college coach with a similar reputation as control freak who run relatively clean programs or had as many high profile draft picks who act out or can't push themselves away from the table once they'exit his sphere of influence.

Yes, the individual players have the majority of the responsibility for their behavior and habits. But is Saban partially to blame, much like an overprotective parent, for creating an atmosphere where these guys don't know how to act once someone isn't watching over their shoulders every second of every day?

The evidence suggests that he may very well be.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbs was very upfront and direct about the issue, and didn't sound like a guy who is going to coddle Upshaw, or any other players. So hopefully this won't become a recurring problem.

If Upshaw knows what the problem is, and knows that his coaches will not stand for him being out of shape every year, then he will hopefully find the discipline to keep himself in better shape in the off-season. And if he doesn't, they'll just run him to death in training camp each year until he does learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too worried about it. He had the same issue last year and had a really solid rookie campaign. He knows his role this year, he knows the culture and what's expected of him. It's a slight, slight concern but nothing that changes my opinion of Upshaw or his future.
mcdni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is ever a time to be fat and out of shape then this is the time of year for it.

As others have said, it's not too big a deal. Probably did a little too much partying after winning the Superbowl. Harbs has made him aware that he has work to do and the coaches obviously have set up a plan for him between work outs and eating correctly to get him in shape for training camp.

Now if he shows up over weight in late July for training camp then we have a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
I'm not too worried about it. He had the same issue last year and had a really solid rookie campaign. He knows his role this year, he knows the culture and what's expected of him. It's a slight, slight concern but nothing that changes my opinion of Upshaw or his future.

Only thing I would say, though, is that part of our expectation for him building off of that rookie campaign was him having an offseason in an NFL strength and conditioning program.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Ravens linebackers and their weight (since we don't have a mini-camp thread for some reason), reports out of the Castle are that Suggs looks noticeably slimmed down, and it was fat that was trimmed down, not muscle. We know this is a big year for him in terms of determining out how he figures into our future post-injury, and it's great news to hear that he put in hard work and took care of his body during the offseason. It's a sign that he's serious about being a leader of this team and getting back to his DPOY form, if anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
On the topic of Ravens linebackers and their weight (since we don't have a mini-camp thread for some reason), reports out of the Castle are that Suggs looks noticeably slimmed down, and it was fat that was trimmed down, not muscle. We know this is a big year for him in terms of determining out how he figures into our future post-injury, and it's great news to hear that he put in hard work and took care of his body during the offseason. It's a sign that he's serious about being a leader of this team and getting back to his DPOY form, if anything else.

I think we can expect a friendly rivalry/competition between he and Doom this season in terms of getting to the QB. Will be nice Cool

One thing I will caution against, though, is evaluating the two guys solely on sack/pass rush numbers. Doom's role should be more focused on selling out to get to the QB, while Suggs should likely have more edge containment and coverage responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I'm wondering if winning the SB actually made him even more hungry to get back and take it down again. I mean, it should have (for him or any other player), but we all know that's not always the case.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: