Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So about Shea McClellin....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
As far as his size goes, he looked like he could bulk up a big last season. Wasn't there a a report this spring that he put on a few pounds of muscle?

7 to 8 lbs of muscle, yep.

GOGRIESE wrote:
Sorry when I smell BS I tend to not let it go.

G08 wrote:
Try a shower and watch where you step.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Use the "search" feature. We've discussed this topic to death.
Lord knows we need to reduce the extraneous chatter around this tomb. Rolling Eyes
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

My apologies, I've obviously offended you. I went back several pages and didn't see his name mentioned, so I figured, with it being the offseason and all, I'd ask a question.

to everyone else, thank you for the responses. Has there been any 'official' talk of making adjustments to his role, i.e. 2-point pass rusher, move him around the field, or do you think he will simply be given time as a DE to continue to develop, especially with the strength he has apparently added?

What is the general consensus? Is this going to be a 'breakout' year for him where he starts to get more time on the field and starts earning his draft position or is he still going to be a work in progress?
My expectations are rather moderate: I expect him to continue to improve and that they will leave him at end. But they will move him around some like they do with Peppers on occasion.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

My apologies, I've obviously offended you. I went back several pages and didn't see his name mentioned, so I figured, with it being the offseason and all, I'd ask a question.

to everyone else, thank you for the responses. Has there been any 'official' talk of making adjustments to his role, i.e. 2-point pass rusher, move him around the field, or do you think he will simply be given time as a DE to continue to develop, especially with the strength he has apparently added?

What is the general consensus? Is this going to be a 'breakout' year for him where he starts to get more time on the field and starts earning his draft position or is he still going to be a work in progress?
My expectations are rather moderate: I expect him to continue to improve and that they will leave him at end. But they will move him around some like they do with Peppers on occasion.

I'm pretty much in line with you on this Al. I think Shea will be better this year but if he gets 10 sacks I will view it as a pleasant surprise. I just want him to be a valuable asset.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

I'm pretty much in line with you on this Al. I think Shea will be better this year but if he gets 10 sacks I will view it as a pleasant surprise. I just want him to be a valuable asset.
We can always hope he progresses like another speed rushing DE coming out of college too skinny, Richard Dent. The Colonel had three sacks his first year, 17.5 his second. I would, however, be delirious if Shea got ten.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:

Something for football fans not keen to the Bears to keep in mind as well, there was some overlap with the recent GM change:

Corey Wootton (2010) was the last pass rusher drafted by Jerry Angelo.

Shea McClellin (2012) was drafted by Phil Emery.

Going into the 2012 draft, Wootton had not done much of anything at the NFL level (one sack, the one on Favre, that's it). This was partly due to injuries.

2012 season, Wootton went for 7 sacks and 2 forced fumbles form the LDE position.

Now, going into 2013, there's somewhat of a logjam at DE. Peppers is the default at RDE, and then the Bears have a 1st rounder in McClellin and a 4th rounder playing well in Wootten. It's not really a problem; all three of them will play. But one guy will be designated as a "starter" and one won't.
Bears54

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: I would.... Reply with quote

I really think Shea is going to come on strong this year....I dont know if he will get 10 sacks, but as long as he brings pressure and makes QBs throw INTs or incomplete passes, that goes down in my book as a sack. Sometimes sacks can be overrated in the sense if you didnt have a 10 sack season you had a down year. Some players dont always show big numbers in the sack column, but they bring pressure and caused chaos on the offensive line.

I would really like to see Peppers, Paea, Melton and Wooton in on 3rd down passing situation with Shea as a OLB/DE bringing the heat as a 5th pass rusher. Move Shea around, make the QB become confused, cause Chaos. Line shea in the A gap then move him to the outside. All 5 of those coming would be real nice.

Shea is a poor mans version of Clay Matthews to me, but that could be nice too if he could do half of what Matthews does. I would use Shea how the packers use Matthews. Or you can Wooton, Paea, Melton and Shea and use Peppers like Matthews as the OLB/DE
ShaggyBear

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I would.... Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
I really think Shea is going to come on strong this year....I dont know if he will get 10 sacks, but as long as he brings pressure and makes QBs throw INTs or incomplete passes, that goes down in my book as a sack. Sometimes sacks can be overrated in the sense if you didnt have a 10 sack season you had a down year. Some players dont always show big numbers in the sack column, but they bring pressure and caused chaos on the offensive line.

I would really like to see Peppers, Paea, Melton and Wooton in on 3rd down passing situation with Shea as a OLB/DE bringing the heat as a 5th pass rusher. Move Shea around, make the QB become confused, cause Chaos. Line shea in the A gap then move him to the outside. All 5 of those coming would be real nice.

Shea is a poor mans version of Clay Matthews to me, but that could be nice too if he could do half of what Matthews does. I would use Shea how the packers use Matthews. Or you can Wooton, Paea, Melton and Shea and use Peppers like Matthews as the OLB/DE

I'd like that a lot on 3rd and long situations have...

Wright conte 2 deep

Jennings, Tillman, jam coverage flat/curl zone

Nickel, best coverage lb zone middle

Pep, Wooton, paea, Melton on the line.

Shea as a roaming blitzer.

I would only use this formation on their half of the 50 though.

SLCbear

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
SLCbear wrote:
G08 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

It's really tough to say right now. Peppers and Wooten are the starters, but we do rotate our linemen quite a bit. We have a nickel package that moves Wooten inside and puts Shea Mack on the edge. I like the kid's athleticism, I like his "motor". He just needs to get stronger and work on his arsenal of moves, his speed-counter in particular. If he can figure that out and work on a bullrush, I think a double digit sack season isn't out of reach (I still think that's another season away).

^^
I agree, but dont think he's necessarily another season away from double-digit sacks. With a solid off-season, he should make a significant impact this year.

To the OP, we did line him up several times at end (standing) ...for QB contain purposes ....he is great at helping keep guys like RWestbrook and CKap in check.
....he can run with TEs too and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we use him there some. He's an extremely versatile defender with a great motor. I'm expecting several highlights from him this season

Russell Westbrook, eh?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

hahha....that's awesome Very Happy

ha ha ....edit-Wilson. Must've had NBA on my mind
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

If he can up his regular season sack total from 2.5 to at least 5.5/6 the Bears are still a top 5 defense. Also like to see Washington give him some real competition at Left DE. Very optimistic about this Bears defensive line because they have to be good in order for the Bears to win.
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to start a new thread about this since there are many devoted to him already. He has been dealing with plantar fasciitis in his right foot. Hopefully this doesn't linger too much for him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0611-mcclellin-bears-chicago-20130611,0,3144266.story

2014 Adopt a Bear: WR Brandon Marshall #15
Rec- 58 Yards- 660 TDs- 8 Tgts- 102
TytybearsFan21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLCbear wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
SLCbear wrote:
G08 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

It's really tough to say right now. Peppers and Wooten are the starters, but we do rotate our linemen quite a bit. We have a nickel package that moves Wooten inside and puts Shea Mack on the edge. I like the kid's athleticism, I like his "motor". He just needs to get stronger and work on his arsenal of moves, his speed-counter in particular. If he can figure that out and work on a bullrush, I think a double digit sack season isn't out of reach (I still think that's another season away).

^^
I agree, but dont think he's necessarily another season away from double-digit sacks. With a solid off-season, he should make a significant impact this year.

To the OP, we did line him up several times at end (standing) ...for QB contain purposes ....he is great at helping keep guys like RWestbrook and CKap in check.
....he can run with TEs too and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we use him there some. He's an extremely versatile defender with a great motor. I'm expecting several highlights from him this season

Russell Westbrook, eh?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

hahha....that's awesome Very Happy

ha ha ....edit-Wilson. Must've had NBA on my mind

YEAH CAUSE RUSSELL WESTBROOK PLAYS BASKETBALL
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:
I didn't want to start a new thread about this since there are many devoted to him already. He has been dealing with plantar fasciitis in his right foot. Hopefully this doesn't linger too much for him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0611-mcclellin-bears-chicago-20130611,0,3144266.story
We should just trade every 1st round pick. We are cursed. (Mostly joking)

Hopefully he gets healthy and can contribute this season.
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:

We should just trade every 1st round pick. We are cursed. (Mostly joking)

Hopefully he gets healthy and can contribute this season.
He has been making some big plays at mini camp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: