Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grasspike

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Your boy is there for the taking AX2...

McNutt still ranks high on my list of custom jerseys to buy if he became a Texan. Texans promotions staff could have fun selling the McNutt Athletic Supporter if they had any creativity whatsoever...

[url]
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7637/marvin-mcnutt[/url]

That wasn't his boy....it was Marvin Jones of Cincy

I probably made the most McNutt references. He and Nick Toon were the guys I wanted later in the draft.

Sig by matthouston91
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
As much as I originally wanted the hometeam to sign this guy, looks like the Texans dodged a bullet Laughing

Quote:
News 12 New Jersey reports Jets RB Mike Goodson was arrested for marijuana and weapons possession early Friday morning.
Goodson and a friend were allegedly "found intoxicated in an SUV" along a Denville, NJ highway. Goodson was reportedly so drunk that he had to be hospitalized, while his gun was loaded with hollow point bullets. Goodson was a passenger in the vehicle. The driver has been charged with DUI. Goodson is facing serious charges, perhaps even the kind that could imperil a reserve running back's roster spot. At the very least, he'll be facing a suspension if found guilty.
per rotoworld

Sooooo glad we didn't sign him and explains why Houston never bothered to call
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9309396/legal-issues-new-york-jets-mike-goodson-predate-drug-weapons-charges
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
As much as I originally wanted the hometeam to sign this guy, looks like the Texans dodged a bullet Laughing

Quote:
News 12 New Jersey reports Jets RB Mike Goodson was arrested for marijuana and weapons possession early Friday morning.
Goodson and a friend were allegedly "found intoxicated in an SUV" along a Denville, NJ highway. Goodson was reportedly so drunk that he had to be hospitalized, while his gun was loaded with hollow point bullets. Goodson was a passenger in the vehicle. The driver has been charged with DUI. Goodson is facing serious charges, perhaps even the kind that could imperil a reserve running back's roster spot. At the very least, he'll be facing a suspension if found guilty.
per rotoworld

Sooooo glad we didn't sign him and explains why Houston never bothered to call
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9309396/legal-issues-new-york-jets-mike-goodson-predate-drug-weapons-charges

I imagine the Bengals will be calling him soon.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UH RB Charles Sims Is thinking about entering the supplemental draft. He has already graduated and he said he wasnt going to play for UH this upcoming season even though he has 1 year left of eligibility. I wouldnt mind using a 6th rounder on him and let him be our 3rd RB and let one of our UDFA rb's be on the practice squad. If Sims would have played for UH this upcoming season he could have been a 4th round draft pick IMO. He has nice size, "ok" speed and he is a nice fit for our zbs system. Not to mention he is a very good receiver out the backfield. He was our best weapon on offense.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
UH RB Charles Sims Is thinking about entering the supplemental draft. He has already graduated and he said he wasnt going to play for UH this upcoming season even though he has 1 year left of eligibility. I wouldnt mind using a 6th rounder on him and let him be our 3rd RB and let one of our UDFA rb's be on the practice squad. If Sims would have played for UH this upcoming season he could have been a 4th round draft pick IMO. He has nice size, "ok" speed and he is a nice fit for our zbs system. Not to mention he is a very good receiver out the backfield. He was our best weapon on offense.

Supplemental draft is generally a sucker's bet. Wasting a 2nd rounder on Tony Hollings was the single worst draft move we've ever made. If Sims knew he wasn't go to play this Fall, why did he say he's returning and not declare for the regular draft? There's almost always a reason such as getting into to trouble or dropping on the depth chart. I don't know squat about Sims, but I'm doubtful he's Johnathan Franklin or Marcus Lattimore quality (the 2 4th rounders in this draft). We've got 4th round quality Rbs in camp this year in Wood, Johnson, and Graham and I'd rather not burn a 6th rounder on someone who probably would just fall into UDFA status as well.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Blaze

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Supplemental draft is generally a sucker's bet. Wasting a 2nd rounder on Tony Hollings was the single worst draft move we've ever made. If Sims knew he wasn't go to play this Fall, why did he say he's returning and not declare for the regular draft? There's almost always a reason such as getting into to trouble or dropping on the depth chart. I don't know squat about Sims, but I'm doubtful he's Johnathan Franklin or Marcus Lattimore quality (the 2 4th rounders in this draft). We've got 4th round quality Rbs in camp this year in Wood, Johnson, and Graham and I'd rather not burn a 6th rounder on someone who probably would just fall into UDFA status as well.
Sims wouldnt have fell to UDFA status this year, or next year. Im not sure what happened at UH, but he is a good one cut runner.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmond Bishop

Out injured all of last year.

Quote:
ESPN Milwaukee reports the Packers will either cut or trade Desmond Bishop if he doesn't agree to a contract restructure.
Bishop is owed a relatively affordable $3.464 million, so the Packers are likely asking for a slash close to the NFL minimum. A release is the most likely outcome. Coming off a ruptured hamstring, Bishop hasn't participated in any Packers offseason activities and was on the trade block during the draft. They found no takers. Bishop insists the hamstring is healed. The Packers are prepared to move forward with Brad Jones and A.J. Hawk at inside linebacker.
per rotoworld

But in 2011 was one of the best ILBs in NFL. He'll be 29 next month.
Quote:
With more than just a couple of memorable sacks, Desmond Bishop was incredibly productive as a blitzer. You’ll probably remember his sack against Tom Brady, but Bishop hassled quarterbacks on a regular basis. His 23 combined pressures on 91 pass rushes made him the most efficient blitzing linebacker by a long way.
per PFF

If he can be had for relatively cheap, I would love to bring him over - but that seems to be the issue in GB ($$$).

Also, there was this: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/04/desmond-bishop-making-his-mark/
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

FYI - Supplemental draft passed yesterday with nobody picked. GMs are finally paying attention to the horrific ROI on supplemental draft which might as well be the "misfit" draft. Josh Gordon looked to possibly break the tradition, but on cue he's already gotten himself suspended (as I predicted last year when he was getting hyped). Even Aaron Hernandez found a way to not get caught for 3 years, so I'm fully confident Gordon's misdeeds will escalate by years 3 & 4.

That being said, anyone know anything about Dewayne Peace, WR out of UH? He was about the only one of the crop that got even a snippet of attention from me and I figure he would now make a decent UDFA camp body. As far as I can tell, his character is relatively clean other than not being able to keep himself academically eligible. Nothing spectacular here, but he has some speed and put up 600 yards last year for Coogs.

Other WR of note is OJ Ross from Purdue who also was an academic issue but ultimately got booted off the team for breaking a team rule. He put up 959 yards last year and returned kicks. Doesn't profile as a Texan, but Rick may have some Purdue insider info to work with.

Needless to say, I'm not quite satisfied with Jeff Maehl, Alec Lemon, Mike Smith, and Andy Cruse as the candidates to challenge LeStar Jean and Alan Bonner for the #4 & #5 jobs (assuming Posey starts on the PUP). Ideally, we would always have a 6th WR on the Practice Squad due to injury propensity at the position and the fact you don't want AJ or other starters having to risk injury running routes on the scout team. In general, you can pick up defensive players off the street and stick them in the rotation in a pinch, but WRs/TEs need to know the route tree and the ZBS requires more scheme training than typical o-lineman.

Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

FYI - Supplemental draft passed yesterday with nobody picked. GMs are finally paying attention to the horrific ROI on supplemental draft which might as well be the "misfit" draft. Josh Gordon looked to possibly break the tradition, but on cue he's already gotten himself suspended (as I predicted last year when he was getting hyped). Even Aaron Hernandez found a way to not get caught for 3 years, so I'm fully confident Gordon's misdeeds will escalate by years 3 & 4.

That being said, anyone know anything about Dewayne Peace, WR out of UH? He was about the only one of the crop that got even a snippet of attention from me and I figure he would now make a decent UDFA camp body. As far as I can tell, his character is relatively clean other than not being able to keep himself academically eligible. Nothing spectacular here, but he has some speed and put up 600 yards last year for Coogs.

Other WR of note is OJ Ross from Purdue who also was an academic issue but ultimately got booted off the team for breaking a team rule. He put up 959 yards last year and returned kicks. Doesn't profile as a Texan, but Rick may have some Purdue insider info to work with.

Needless to say, I'm not quite satisfied with Jeff Maehl, Alec Lemon, Mike Smith, and Andy Cruse as the candidates to challenge LeStar Jean and Alan Bonner for the #4 & #5 jobs (assuming Posey starts on the PUP). Ideally, we would always have a 6th WR on the Practice Squad due to injury propensity at the position and the fact you don't want AJ or other starters having to risk injury running routes on the scout team. In general, you can pick up defensive players off the street and stick them in the rotation in a pinch, but WRs/TEs need to know the route tree and the ZBS requires more scheme training than typical o-lineman.

Our best receiver last season. Only issue he has was grades. Got kicked off the team twice. (Both due to grades although our University didn't want to announce why he got kicked off the 1st time) Only knows 2 routes (come back curles and crosses), he has average size. He's 5'11 and has "ok" speed, nothing spectacular. Not explosive either. I knew he wasn't going to get drafted, but I wouldnt mind signing him as a camp invite.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans need to kick the tires on Jason Smith.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5218/jason-smith

I'm going to go ahead and get the "homer alert" out of the way now as he is a Baylor player with considerably less success than our most recent #2 overall pick, but remember, aside from stumping for Kendall Wright and Terrence Williams (deep threats we we still need BTW), I've generally been critical of Baylor players as Texans prospects including Josh Gordon, Phil Taylor, Danny Watkins, JD Walton, and others.

There isn't much point to rehashing Jason Smith's past as he'll likely never shake that "bust" label, but the label is more about his performance relative to draft position which is as much about the Rams drafting him far too high as it is about his failure to transition to the NFL thus far. As a Baylor fan, Jason Smith's rise to the top of the board never made much sense as RG3's freshman wheels would make any LT's job easy in pass protection and RG3 also inflated our rushing totals as our top rusher, with our lack of a running game being the primary difference between the early Briles 4 win seasons and the 9 & 11 win seasons. I often wonder if JS went in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of leapfrogging 5 or 6 T's with a stellar post-season, whether the Rams would have been more patient with him instead of blaming him for Sam Bradford sucking, having nobody to catch passes, Stephen Jackson getting old, and him not being the next Orlando Pace. Remember, he also came out when rookie salaries peaked, so failure was magnified with a terrible team that already had a fortune invested in a non performing QB.

I'm not going to make excuses for Jason, but just understand that his failures were not of the fat, lazy, stupid variety you usually see with lineman, but rather an ill-conceived move to RT as a rookie as a means to force a player that just wasn't ready into the lineup (instead of the approach the Texans took with athletic but raw Duane Brown) followed by a traumatic brain injury that if it happened today would have been understood as a life threatening event, not something indicative of him being "soft" for missing a few games. Understand, Jason got 2 concussions in PRACTICE in 2010 if that doesn't tell you that they completely mismanaged his injury, knowing what we know now. He quickly became a whipping boy in blue-collar St. L for being rich and injured. I'm also convinced many NFL folks confuse him with Andre Smith of the Bengals who is the fat, lazy, stupid one who is actually profiled as someone who could be salvaged at RT where you can just blindly plow forward instead of the nuances of pass protection. Jason is much the antithesis of Andre as he is smart well-educated high character player, who was rightfully concerned when his brain was turned to mush.

The trade to the Jets might well have been the worst possible place as Rex Ryan ain't exactly the nurturing type and Jason Smith is ill-suited for their ground and pound attack (so would Duane Brown). New Orleans cutting him loose is certainly concerning, but unseating an incumbent like Charles Brown is tough and Terron Armstrong is a promising 3rd round rookie with no concussion concerns or knee injuries to overcome. Either one of those guys would like be our starting RT or LG, so let's not immediately dismiss Jason Smith as not worthy of a spot with us.

So that gets us to the case for at least bringing in Jason Smith. The guy has always struck me a prototype ZBS guy that has been stuck in run heavy man schemes. Jason Smith's strength is his athleticism and footwork and he has the intelligence to flourish in a sophisticated system relying on deception vs. brute strength like the ZBS. Ben Jones is a fat slow swinging gate in pass protection and I don't think Wade Smith has ever gotten proper credit for his role in helping Duane Brown keep Matty clean. I'm not certain JS could pick up the ZBS or transition to LG fast enough to impact this season, but I would even be interested in signing him to a 2 year vet min deal and giving him a year on the IR resort to truly heal, learn the system, and make a go at being a swing tackle or LG option next year. Sure, I'd like not be as forgiving if he were a bust out of Ohio State instead of my alma, but I've watched us have faith and patience in players with much less talent and upside than JS (see Derek Newton, Rashad Butler).

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, did I mention Jason Smith played Tight End as a freshman at Baylor before transitioning to RT then LT as a Junior & Senior! Kubiak - he's your man!

canyon1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we take fliers on guys like Coffey then why not take a look at a once lock at being a bookend tackle taken top 3 in the draft... If he would take the vet min then why not. I find it money that he hasnt gone to a ZBS scheme team yet I thought for sure someone like Washington would do it.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37
Page 37 of 37

Jump to: