Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rumor Has it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
I just want a coaching staff and front office that works.

I'm on the fence about Schwartz. I would hate the signing of Kelly but I think it could be worse. Coaches can only work with what they have.

The Lions might need an entire overhaul. New FO and new coaching.

the FO brings in the talent and the coaches work with it. Either the coaches don't have enough talent (fire the FO) or they aren't doing enough with good talent (fire the coaches). Having an entire overhaul is definitely not what this team needs.

I could see an argument for firing Schwartz if he doesn't perform this year, but Mayhew has done nothing but improved this team's talent level dramatically the past few years. The last thing we need to do is fire our FO.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather replace Linehan and maybe Cunningham before we get rid of Schwartz. I understand that those were his guys, but he was a first time coach in need of guys with experience to help him with the process... He's obviously not blameless in any of our problems, but I believe our biggest problems are due to scheme. Our offensive and defensive schemes were necessary when we only had 2 guys on either side of the ball (Win on big plays and flukes since we can't win legitimately) ... but we should be past this by now.

I'd also like to point out that when this regime took over, we were in a position where we had to hit on our early 1st rounders and take some risks with character and injury... simply so we could build a team with enough talent to take the field. Well, we hit on all of our early first rounders. We completely failed to get anything from our risky picks.

What if Best's concussion issues in college never plagued him in the NFL? What if Aaron Berry left his guns at home and took his job seriously? What if Titus Young hadn't ended up being an absolute lunatic in disguise as a kind-of-crazy-but-still-socially-functional kid? What if Broyles doesn't tear his previously healthy ACL last year? What if Delmas had knees?

Honestly, take any one of these and your team is much better. 2 of them, and your team is actually solid. 3 or 4? You're actually pretty good.
El Duderino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Backus is spilling the beans on Schwartz

Quote:
http://detroitsportsrag.net/your-schwartz-looks-good-in-those-custom-tailored-pants/

Here is a brief synopsis of what Backus is telling people about Jim Schwartz:

In 2012, Schwartz was lazy.
Schwartz didnít put in the necessary effort.
Schwartz was resting on the teamís laurels of 2011 when they made the playoffs for the first time this century.
Schwartz didnít hold anyone accountable.
Schwartz didnít coach during practices like he had in previous seasons.
Schwartz didnít put in the necessary hours watching game film or preparing for the next weekís opponent.
That Schwartz basically bought into his own hype and just thought things would progress in 2012 because of the teamís postseason berth in 2011.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that site so consider me skeptical.

That being said it wouldn't exactly be surprising.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't he a coach now? Intern coach?

I would be surprised if he said this but not surprised if that was the case.
El Duderino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Never heard of that site so consider me skeptical.

That being said it wouldn't exactly be surprising.

Its run by Jeff Moss. He broke the news that the Pistons were firing Rick Carlisle back in the day, and was close with Killer.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
I'd rather replace Linehan and maybe Cunningham before we get rid of Schwartz. I understand that those were his guys, but he was a first time coach in need of guys with experience to help him with the process... He's obviously not blameless in any of our problems, but I believe our biggest problems are due to scheme. Our offensive and defensive schemes were necessary when we only had 2 guys on either side of the ball (Win on big plays and flukes since we can't win legitimately) ... but we should be past this by now.

If the Lions get off to a bad start and the season looks like a loss do you think Schawrtz will turn Cunningham and/or Linehan into fall guys if he feels that people are calling for his head? Or, will he let everyone go down with the ship?
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the above 'information' is 100% fabricated.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:

If the Lions get off to a bad start and the season looks like a loss do you think Schawrtz will turn Cunningham and/or Linehan into fall guys if he feels that people are calling for his head? Or, will he let everyone go down with the ship?

I honestly don't think that it's the HC's decision nearly as often as people believe. I think it's a decision the GM or ownership makes pretty often...

In our situation I don't think we'd make any changes mid-season. We're too young and too tied into the schemes these guys have brought with them.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

Right, why would he publicly bash his employer? (although Schwartz doesn't pay him, he does hire him)

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
El Duderino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

Right, why would he publicly bash his employer? (although Schwartz doesn't pay him, he does hire him)

Well lets say its true, its not like he said this on the record in front of reporters. This is supposedly what hes been saying in private. In the link it says the only reason Backus came back is to help Washburn get the young guys settle in on the o-line.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

Well lets say its true, its not like he said this on the record in front of reporters. This is supposedly what hes been saying in private. In the link it says the only reason Backus came back is to help Washburn get the young guys settle in on the o-line.

He isn't going to be helping anyone if the Lions let him go.

If he wants a coaching career, didn't make a smart move bashing boss after being hired even if he doesn't like him. Other coaching staffs will see that as a negative IMO.

Meh.
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel as though it's no suprise Schwartz may be on the hot seat this season. Seven NFL coaches got fired after the 2012 season and Schwartz, despite a 4-12 season, was not one of them. The Lions, with all of the talent they posess, need to show vast improvment this year if Schwartz is going to keep his job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: