Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ed Reed Surgery
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Houston Chronicle confirms the Texans expect Ed Reed (hip surgery) back for the beginning of training camp or "midway through it."
Owner Bob McNair first let slip that Reed might not be ready for the beginning of camp after coach Gary Kubiak had previously insisted he would. Things have a history of not quite going to plan with Reed and his injuries, so we'd be far from surprised if he misses a sizable chunk of his first Texans camp. Going on 35, there's a chance Reed is damaged goods.
per rotoworld via Chron
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
The Houston Chronicle confirms the Texans expect Ed Reed (hip surgery) back for the beginning of training camp or "midway through it."
Owner Bob McNair first let slip that Reed might not be ready for the beginning of camp after coach Gary Kubiak had previously insisted he would. Things have a history of not quite going to plan with Reed and his injuries, so we'd be far from surprised if he misses a sizable chunk of his first Texans camp. Going on 35, there's a chance Reed is damaged goods.
per rotoworld via Chron

The rotoworld editorial comments are always ridiculous. Ed has played 50 consecutive games including 8 playoff games the past 3 years - not sure how that indicates "damaged goods". Ed was brought in to excel in January-February, not August. I can't remember the last time Andre Johnson was a full participant in camp and he seems to have done ok for himself. Sure, veteran presence is always nice in camp, but camp and preseason are about solidifying the bottom 5th of the roster, not teaching an 11 year vet how to play his position. I'll start worrying about Ed if he's not ready to play by about the 3rd preseason game, not in May...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
per rotoworld via Chron

The rotoworld editorial comments are always ridiculous. Ed has played 50 consecutive games including 8 playoff games the past 3 years - not sure how that indicates "damaged goods". Ed was brought in to excel in January-February, not August. I can't remember the last time Andre Johnson was a full participant in camp and he seems to have done ok for himself. Sure, veteran presence is always nice in camp, but camp and preseason are about solidifying the bottom 5th of the roster, not teaching an 11 year vet how to play his position. I'll start worrying about Ed if he's not ready to play by about the 3rd preseason game, not in May...

Agreed. Most of OUR vets barely practice in TC and in the regular season, Reed not being on the field is NOTHING imo. If he becomes a question mark for the opener, then i will worry.
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ed Reed (hip surgery) admits he might not be ready for Week 1.
Reed's injury hoodwink keeps getting worse for the Texans. "I plan on being back for Week 1," Reed said Wednesday. "But as youíve known me for the longest time, Iím going to be smart about my injuries and make sure Iím there for the later part of the season when the team really needs me." Reed has gone from being ready for the start of camp, to potentially returning "midway through it" to not a guarantee for Week 1. Reed could still easily end up being ready for Week 1, but it's safe to say he would have never gotten his three-year, $15 million deal had the Texans known the true extent of his injury.
per rotoworld via chron.com

Last edited by jch1911 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
dsorc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blurb is overblowing the quote. There is nothing there that says he might not be back for Week 1. Reed's comment about end of the season a is an obvious observation: health during the playoffs is the priority.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole Reed situation is irritating and I feel like we got used by Reed to pay for his needed surgery and one last pay check to give him some extra spending money in retirement. Also he should be here re-habbing that injury, we've got one of the best medical centers in the world, and he could be building chemistry with his teammates and yelling at the rookies from the sidelines. I know it's most important for him to be here healthy in the late season but this whole situation just leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
This whole Reed situation is irritating and I feel like we got used by Reed to pay for his needed surgery and one last pay check to give him some extra spending money in retirement. Also he should be here re-habbing that injury, we've got one of the best medical centers in the world, and he could be building chemistry with his teammates and yelling at the rookies from the sidelines. I know it's most important for him to be here healthy in the late season but this whole situation just leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

It's Ed Reed. He can do what he wants. Not like he has a history of being a me-first diva or anything. Aging star players do this kind of stuff all the time.

Sig by matthouston91
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

It's Ed Reed. He can do what he wants. Not like he has a history of being a me-first diva or anything. Aging star players do this kind of stuff all the time.

Who cares if he plays in Sept-Oct we brought him in to put us over the top and that means in the playoffs....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what Rick Smith and Wade Phillips are thinking... Rick seems to get fooled sometimes, but if I was Wade I would be pissed...

As a Texans fan I am not happy with this, but if he is back to even 80% by the post season then I will be okay with it......... I know that veterans do this all the time but I did loose a lot of respect for Ed Reed during this whole thing, it is clear that he was going to fool the team that he signed with but the thing that got under my skin was how he held out for more money...

I imagined Ed Reed telling Rick Smith pay me an extra 2 million and I will give you a surprise...
Grasspike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidnextdoor wrote:
I wonder what Rick Smith and Wade Phillips are thinking... Rick seems to get fooled sometimes, but if I was Wade I would be pissed...

As a Texans fan I am not happy with this, but if he is back to even 80% by the post season then I will be okay with it......... I know that veterans do this all the time but I did loose a lot of respect for Ed Reed during this whole thing, it is clear that he was going to fool the team that he signed with but the thing that got under my skin was how he held out for more money...

I imagined Ed Reed telling Rick Smith pay me an extra 2 million and I will give you a surprise...

Come on, man. If you were playing for your last contract, would you be 100% transparent about an injury potentially worth millions of dollars? I doubt it. Teams get one over on players all the time, so it's only fair if every now and then a player gets one over on a team.

Sig by matthouston91
treece300e

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
kidnextdoor wrote:

Come on, man. If you were playing for your last contract, would you be 100% transparent about an injury potentially worth millions of dollars? I doubt it. Teams get one over on players all the time, so it's only fair if every now and then a player gets one over on a team.

I agree with GP for the most part. The Ravens not wanting to pay Reed's asking price should have tipped our FO off that they must have some justifiable reason. I mean, they lost both their starting safeties this year, I'm sure they wouldn't part with a HoF S over a small amount (relatively speaking, of course) if they didn't know something. As a consumer, it's your responsibility to do homework on the product being purchased, a lesson learned from a capitalist society. Houston has dozens of doctors on staff, and are a mere 15 miles or less from some of the best medical facilities in the world. Can't really blame someone for not being 100% open about a minor health issue when it's the difference of millions of dollars to them.

Players are often forced to take pay cuts, released, and traded if their production isn't closely aligned with their paycheck, but rarely does that work the opposite way. I think we can all agree that these guys are overpaid for what they do, but their industry makes a lot of money which ultimately determines their value to the teams. According to Forbes, the Texans NFL franchise is valued at $1.31B. For it to spend $15M is about equivalent the average American family spending $2,865 (using $250,000 as the average net worth.) While I wouldn't readily go out and throw away three grand, that is about the cost of purchasing a pretty low-end home theater system: TV, Blu-Ray, AVR, Speakers, cables, etc. If you talk about the $5M guaranteed, it's equivalent to $955.

Overall, I think the Texans FO saw this as a viable risk. If we have a Safety that can be a play-making centerfielder in the back end, and one that has a lot of success against Tom Brady, then I think it's worth the money we spent on him. Swearinger may be rushed into starting duty, or we could see Keo/Pleasant on the field more than we'd like, or we could look at a one-year deal with Kerry Rhodes until Reed is back. I think Reed will be back and close to 100% this season, which makes him very dangerous to opposing teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: