Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Getting excited about Vacarro!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Getting excited about Vacarro! Reply with quote

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/06/new_orleans_saints_rookie_safe.html

I know you can't read too much into camp, but these snippets talk about what excited me about him in the first place:

Quote:
Rob Ryan already has unveiled schemes that'll put all three safeties on the field at the same time. And Vaccaro has taken advantage of his opportunities.

Quote:
Vaccaro made two of the best plays of Wednesday's practice, breaking up a pair of passes by backup quarterback Luke McCown. Vaccaro nearly came away with an acrobatic interception on the first one, diving in front of the ball but failing to control it for the pick.

Then he stole a touchdown from receiver Nick Toon, lunging to knock the ball away in the end zone just as Toon appeared ready to pull it in.

Although Vaccaro didn't make any standout plays Thursday, he regularly had solid coverage against receivers and tight ends.

Quote:
Throughout the offseason workouts, Vaccaro has alternated between safety and playing the slot receivers, something McGriff said is not easy for some veterans, not to mention a rookie with less than two months in the system.

And he has held up well, catching the eyes of several onlookers for his ability to cover standout receiver Marques Colston.

Quote:
"I played it all in college," Vaccaro said of the slot cornerback position. "The No. 1 receiver that got drafted this year, (West Virginia's) Tavon Austin, that's who I went against the whole game in the slot. So I've been in the slot for four years. That slot stuff comes easy to me. Playing safety and guarding tight ends, that comes even easier because I am so used to guarding fast and quick guys.

I think spells the end for Jenkins, who I have read has already been giving up quite a few big plays in camp through missing assignments, losing track of the ball in the air, and poor coverage. Sounds like more of last year's Jenkins sadly.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 11 Tkls 1 PD
Ben Watson 3 Rec 14 Yds
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be shocked if Vacarro isn't starting over Jenkins week 1. Jenkins has, unsurprisingly, had a miserable training camp.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted Jenkins to succeed, and I wanted to blame the difference in GW's scheme in his last season with the team and the change to Spags on his regress...but it looks like he just might not be cut out for us. But there is lots of positive we are hearing on Vacarro so far. I like that he can cover the slot guy as well. I am wondering if there is any thought about attempting to move Jenkins back to CB to see if he can produce there again.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Ben Watson 3 Rec 14 Yds
krewebrees

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with y'all that Jenkins has screwed up multiple times in camp and shouldn't start, but where Vaccaro has been standing out is corner in the slot, so nickel and covering TEs, so SS. It's all man. I do see Vaccaro starting, but over Harper at SS. I think FS is still up for grabs between IAQ Bush and Leonhard. If I have to guess now from what they've done in camp I'd say it Bush's job.
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
I agree with y'all that Jenkins has screwed up multiple times in camp and shouldn't start, but where Vaccaro has been standing out is corner in the slot, so nickel and covering TEs, so SS. It's all man. I do see Vaccaro starting, but over Harper at SS. I think FS is still up for grabs between IAQ Bush and Leonhard. If I have to guess now from what they've done in camp I'd say it Bush's job.

It was specifically mentioned his good play covering WRs, as well as TEs. From everything I have read, he has spent most of his time at FS while taking quite a few reps as slot CB/S.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Ben Watson 3 Rec 14 Yds
krewebrees

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
krewebrees wrote:

It was specifically mentioned his good play covering WRs, as well as TEs. From everything I have read, he has spent most of his time at FS while taking quite a few reps as slot CB/S.

We agree where Vaccaro has been doing good, man coverage on anyone. In Ryan's scheme the FS is the only one in a zone (cover 1). That's where Jenkins was playing when he made both of his major mistakes. I'm not saying Vaccaro hasn't been playing FS, but he's been making the plays at SS and corner.

I saw a lot of pre OTA reports saying Vaccaro will be our FS, but that was all speculation. I haven't seen anything since OTAs saying he's playing FS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: