Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Martin Mayhew is finally focused on special teams
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
On ST, you draft a guy to be a kicker/punter, returner, and maybe snapper. I'm not entirely sure how you focus on ST outside of those positions. You don't groom gunners etc. They're just guys that are trying to work their way up the depth chart and are expendable enough to put out there.

Football players have no excuse to be "bad on ST". Either the coaching is bad or the player is bad... or not trying.

I agree. It's not that complicated. Run really fast down the field, stick to your assignment, and tackle the guy with the ball. The only problem is that the Lions are terrible at that.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
On ST, you draft a guy to be a kicker/punter, returner, and maybe snapper. I'm not entirely sure how you focus on ST outside of those positions. You don't groom gunners etc. They're just guys that are trying to work their way up the depth chart and are expendable enough to put out there.

Football players have no excuse to be "bad on ST". Either the coaching is bad or the player is bad... or not trying.

I agree. It's not that complicated. Run really fast down the field, stick to your assignment, and tackle the guy with the ball. The only problem is that the Lions are terrible at that.

In fairness the other team also has athletes on the field trying to block you.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say it's the coaches/players mix.

Jason Hanson, for all his great talents, the last two years can't kick a touch back on the kick off Handicapping our team already. Having a kicker with that type of leg now can help out a special teams coverage unit then drafting two special team aces.

Most of the coverage's now, imo, are in the hands of Punters/Kickers, and the other guys are people just trying hard to make the team and prove themselves, imo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: