Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How big is McLendon
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64252
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelFire wrote:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/06/steelers-nt-steve-mclendon-drops-weight-for-2013/

So last year he was 335?? Shocked Wow, I didn't realize that.

Now he's around 320. I think that's a good weight for him. He will still be stout against the run but should agile enough to be able to put some pressure on the Qb, collapsing be pocket from the NT position.

Kethnabb makes a good point (like usual) he's 6'4 guys. That add weight when you are taller.

Barry Cofield plays NT for the Redskins and has been good since we got him. He said a lot of the same things McLendon did about his listed weight. Cofield is the same size as McLendon 6'4 and and around 320. Since the Redskins signed Cofield in August of 2011 there's been a similar discussion about his weight and if Cofield had the bulk to play NT. he's always been listed on all sites as 306 because that was the size he was when he was younger.

When the beat reporters asked Cofield about his weight, he responded "A gentleman never tells" then laughed off the question Laughing . He assured the media and I guess all Redskins nation that he could play the NT position and eluded to weighing more than that listed weight of 306.

I believe McLendon is going to be fine and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few sacks also this season. Cofield has for Washington.

I just saw this article about mcLendon not wanting to come off the field during the season and that's why he got in better shape. I think it could happen that he plays almost all the snaps at NT this season.


MClendon is going to get at least 4-5 sacks this season if not more. Last year in a limited amount of snaps I believe he got 2 sacks. With 700+ snaps I think he'll prove to be a valuable DL asset.

John Mitchell mentioned last year that MCLendon was someone to look out for and with a limited amount of playing time has prove Mitchell right.
I hope he does get that many, but unlike last year, this year he will be beaten up on first and second down run plays. In years past, Casey Hampton took that run down punishment from 2 offensive linemen and then a fresh McLendon would come in and rush th passer.

I think 4 or 5 sacks is possible but I thinks it's more likely he ends up with 2 or 3 and a bunch on bat downs like Barry Cofield has been doing for the Redskins last two years because they are each 6'4.

2011- Cofield had 25 tkls, 3 sacks and 8 passes defensed

2012- Cofield had 36 tkls, 2.5 sacks and 6 passes defensed

I'd expect that McLendon gets similar #s to Cofield this year.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11904
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelFire wrote:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/06/steelers-nt-steve-mclendon-drops-weight-for-2013/

So last year he was 335?? Shocked Wow, I didn't realize that.

Now he's around 320. I think that's a good weight for him. He will still be stout against the run but should agile enough to be able to put some pressure on the Qb, collapsing be pocket from the NT position.

Kethnabb makes a good point (like usual) he's 6'4 guys. That add weight when you are taller.

Barry Cofield plays NT for the Redskins and has been good since we got him. He said a lot of the same things McLendon did about his listed weight. Cofield is the same size as McLendon 6'4 and and around 320. Since the Redskins signed Cofield in August of 2011 there's been a similar discussion about his weight and if Cofield had the bulk to play NT. he's always been listed on all sites as 306 because that was the size he was when he was younger.

When the beat reporters asked Cofield about his weight, he responded "A gentleman never tells" then laughed off the question Laughing . He assured the media and I guess all Redskins nation that he could play the NT position and eluded to weighing more than that listed weight of 306.

I believe McLendon is going to be fine and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few sacks also this season. Cofield has for Washington.

I just saw this article about mcLendon not wanting to come off the field during the season and that's why he got in better shape. I think it could happen that he plays almost all the snaps at NT this season.


MClendon is going to get at least 4-5 sacks this season if not more. Last year in a limited amount of snaps I believe he got 2 sacks. With 700+ snaps I think he'll prove to be a valuable DL asset.

John Mitchell mentioned last year that MCLendon was someone to look out for and with a limited amount of playing time has prove Mitchell right.
I hope he does get that many, but unlike last year, this year he will be beaten up on first and second down run plays. In years past, Casey Hampton took that run down punishment from 2 offensive linemen and then a fresh McLendon would come in and rush th passer.

I think 4 or 5 sacks is possible but I thinks it's more likely he ends up with 2 or 3 and a bunch on bat downs like Barry Cofield has been doing for the Redskins last two years because they are each 6'4.

2011- Cofield had 25 tkls, 3 sacks and 8 passes defensed

2012- Cofield had 36 tkls, 2.5 sacks and 6 passes defensed

I'd expect that McLendon gets similar #s to Cofield this year.


T28, if that was the case then Hoke have averaged 3-4 sacks because of that. I beleive MCLendon is a pass rush NT ala Jay Ratliff. Casey Hampton hasn't beaten up on many OLs the last few years. The Steelers were one of the least ran against teams last year. So Hampton wasn't beating up on to many players by that account. Because Z. Hood was the Steelers primary Nickel NT.

In saying that the Steelers pass defense was ridiculous last season. I think they might have put together one of the most underrated pass defensive season. The YPA was 4.9 which is crazy. I guess thats what happens when you crush opponents for 3.75 qtrs. Because of blown leads and lack of splash plays didn't get as nearly as much pub as they should have.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3251
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
Being taller (6'4") is actually a hinderance for the NT position. It's all about leverage. 6'0" or 6'1", ala Hampton, is ideal. Now I'm not gonna argue that 3" is gonna make a huge amount of difference. I'm merely suggesting that being taller isn't better. As for the upcoming season, it's nice to read these articles on Big Mac. It's nice to hear he's lost weight. It's nice to hear his stats and then try to caculate what they would be for a whole season. But I know what I've seen for the past few years. I know it's a Passing league. The Steelers better hope it is Passing league every game they play because he is a liability in Run Defense. With a year older Foote and Worlids replacing Harrison, the Run Defense has already suffered. Throw in a NT that struggles against the Run and it could be problematic.


I disagree about height being a hindrance. If you look at history and the better NTs have been at least 6'3 and taller. Sam Adams, Tony Siragusa, Russel Maryland, Albert Haynesworth (younger version), Bryant Young, Cortez Kennedy, Joel Steed, Dan Wilkinson, Ted Washington, etc.... Since most teams constantly pass the ball, many are going with smaller NTs.

Again it's about leverage. Lower man wins in the run game. On the goaline, do the lines stand up or go low? It's harder to reach down and re-direct someone than to reach up. As I said, I don't think the 3" difference makes much of a difference. In Mac's case, I don't see the ability to play the run no matter his size. Simply put, being a taller NT is not an advantage.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64252
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelFire wrote:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/06/steelers-nt-steve-mclendon-drops-weight-for-2013/

So last year he was 335?? Shocked Wow, I didn't realize that.

Now he's around 320. I think that's a good weight for him. He will still be stout against the run but should agile enough to be able to put some pressure on the Qb, collapsing be pocket from the NT position.

Kethnabb makes a good point (like usual) he's 6'4 guys. That add weight when you are taller.

Barry Cofield plays NT for the Redskins and has been good since we got him. He said a lot of the same things McLendon did about his listed weight. Cofield is the same size as McLendon 6'4 and and around 320. Since the Redskins signed Cofield in August of 2011 there's been a similar discussion about his weight and if Cofield had the bulk to play NT. he's always been listed on all sites as 306 because that was the size he was when he was younger.

When the beat reporters asked Cofield about his weight, he responded "A gentleman never tells" then laughed off the question Laughing . He assured the media and I guess all Redskins nation that he could play the NT position and eluded to weighing more than that listed weight of 306.

I believe McLendon is going to be fine and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few sacks also this season. Cofield has for Washington.

I just saw this article about mcLendon not wanting to come off the field during the season and that's why he got in better shape. I think it could happen that he plays almost all the snaps at NT this season.


MClendon is going to get at least 4-5 sacks this season if not more. Last year in a limited amount of snaps I believe he got 2 sacks. With 700+ snaps I think he'll prove to be a valuable DL asset.

John Mitchell mentioned last year that MCLendon was someone to look out for and with a limited amount of playing time has prove Mitchell right.
I hope he does get that many, but unlike last year, this year he will be beaten up on first and second down run plays. In years past, Casey Hampton took that run down punishment from 2 offensive linemen and then a fresh McLendon would come in and rush th passer.

I think 4 or 5 sacks is possible but I thinks it's more likely he ends up with 2 or 3 and a bunch on bat downs like Barry Cofield has been doing for the Redskins last two years because they are each 6'4.

2011- Cofield had 25 tkls, 3 sacks and 8 passes defensed

2012- Cofield had 36 tkls, 2.5 sacks and 6 passes defensed

I'd expect that McLendon gets similar #s to Cofield this year.


T28, if that was the case then Hoke have averaged 3-4 sacks because of that. I beleive MCLendon is a pass rush NT ala Jay Ratliff. Casey Hampton hasn't beaten up on many OLs the last few years. The Steelers were one of the least ran against teams last year. So Hampton wasn't beating up on to many players by that account. Because Z. Hood was the Steelers primary Nickel NT.

In saying that the Steelers pass defense was ridiculous last season. I think they might have put together one of the most underrated pass defensive season. The YPA was 4.9 which is crazy. I guess thats what happens when you crush opponents for 3.75 qtrs. Because of blown leads and lack of splash plays didn't get as nearly as much pub as they should have.
I said its possible, but I think it's a long shot. McLendon has never had to play much on 1st and 2nd downs when teams are more apt to run. 5 sacks from him is possible, but I personally think that's a long shot. 3 seems more likely to me
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64252
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
Being taller (6'4") is actually a hinderance for the NT position. It's all about leverage. 6'0" or 6'1", ala Hampton, is ideal. Now I'm not gonna argue that 3" is gonna make a huge amount of difference. I'm merely suggesting that being taller isn't better. As for the upcoming season, it's nice to read these articles on Big Mac. It's nice to hear he's lost weight. It's nice to hear his stats and then try to caculate what they would be for a whole season. But I know what I've seen for the past few years. I know it's a Passing league. The Steelers better hope it is Passing league every game they play because he is a liability in Run Defense. With a year older Foote and Worlids replacing Harrison, the Run Defense has already suffered. Throw in a NT that struggles against the Run and it could be problematic.


I disagree about height being a hindrance. If you look at history and the better NTs have been at least 6'3 and taller. Sam Adams, Tony Siragusa, Russel Maryland, Albert Haynesworth (younger version), Bryant Young, Cortez Kennedy, Joel Steed, Dan Wilkinson, Ted Washington, etc.... Since most teams constantly pass the ball, many are going with smaller NTs.

Again it's about leverage. Lower man wins in the run game. On the goaline, do the lines stand up or go low? It's harder to reach down and re-direct someone than to reach up. As I said, I don't think the 3" difference makes much of a difference. In Mac's case, I don't see the ability to play the run no matter his size. Simply put, being a taller NT is not an advantage.
I really don't think we have a large enough sample size to know how McLendon is going to do against the run during a whole season.

Casey Hampton has played almost every game of the last 12 years for the Steelers at Nt.

I think we're selling McLendon short if we think he's just going to get rolled over in the run game all year.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group