Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dwyer way out of shape
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bad comparison because it is relevant. Hampton and Dwyer are both productive players with weight and conditioning issues. Although Dwyer isn't a pro bowler or a team captain, he's still much too productive of a player to get rid of solely based on the fact that he has troubles staying in shape and keeping his weight down. That is the point I am trying to make.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Hampton was a proven great player.

Dwyer isnt guaranteed a roster spot and doesnt seem to care.

and even more importantly

one had the sole job of being immobile...stationary, so heft was a benefit.

The other has a job that is the exact opposite, i.e. they are supposed to move rapidly.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
It's not a bad comparison because it is relevant. Hampton and Dwyer are both productive players with weight and conditioning issues. Although Dwyer isn't a pro bowler or a team captain, he's still much too productive of a player to get rid of solely based on the fact that he has troubles staying in shape and keeping his weight down. That is the point I am trying to make.

Youre reaching to make a comparison that just doesnt work.

Hampton was an irreplecable cog on a top rated defense.

Dwyer is an average at best RB on one of the worst rushing Ds in the league.

Once again...Hampton was proven, and Dwyer is not. Hampton was elite, Dwyer is mediocre. Hampton was almost irreplacable...Dwyer is very replaceable.

Dwyer compares to Max Starks more than he does Hampton...and it got Starks demoted, and then cut. He was an average at best RT who showed up out of shape and lost his job, and then got it back after Marvel went down in 2008. The only reason Starks kept getting more chances is because of injuries and because we couldnt find a decent LT after Marvel.

Difference is, RBs are much easier to find than LTs, so thats not a great comparison either

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
It's not a bad comparison because it is relevant. Hampton and Dwyer are both productive players with weight and conditioning issues.

Hampton is the best NT of the last 20 years, arguably the best (in his prime) since Krumrie.

Jonathan Dwyer is a guy that could barely hold onto a starting job when the coach desperately tried to give the job to him

and again, one is a NOSE TACKLE. it's their job to be enormous. RBs don't need to be enormous. Dwyer is NOT Jerome Bettis, and he shouldn't try to become him at all.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. We'll see how he does during camp and in preseason. He's always been a bigger guy.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I'm not comparing the players, I'm comparing the situations (players coming in over-weight.) If you all really think I don't understand that Hampton is a better player than Dwyer than I'm insulted lol.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
Again, I'm not comparing the players, I'm comparing the situations (players coming in over-weight.) If you all really think I don't understand that Hampton is a better player than Dwyer than I'm insulted lol.

well I would hope so! The problem is that you are not comparing apples and apples. You're comparing an apple and a watermelon. You expect the watermelon to be enormous, but if the apple is the size of a canteloupe, something is amiss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: