Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Baltimore Ravens 2013 Free Agency Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I would not want any one of those guys (except Cruz, and he's not going anywhere). In my opinion, WRs are usually on the free agency market for a good reason. More than any other position (except QB, I guess), I think these guys aren't left lying around for long if they have much to offer.

I would much prefer the Ravens to look at their current receiving corps and say, 'okay guys, now is your big chance. Go out there and prove to us that you can be valuable to this team'.

That's great and all, but we just paid our QB $100M and that's the kind of weapons you're going to give him? Ouch, I'm sorry Joe...

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quarterback makes a receiver, not the other way around. I'm fully confident in Flacco to do damage now that he's not hamstrung by a prehistoric offensive scheme with Torrey, Pitta, Dickson, Thompson, and Jacoby to work with. I'm not even a Doss fan but perhaps when given more than just occasional reps where your mistakes are all the more amplified, he'll get in on the action.

I won't complain if we make a FA signing to push these guys in training camp, but I don't really see anyone out there who actually makes this team drastically better. Would rather see if Flacco can build partnerships with the guys we've got and establish some continuity and chemistry within the offense.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
I would not want any one of those guys (except Cruz, and he's not going anywhere). In my opinion, WRs are usually on the free agency market for a good reason. More than any other position (except QB, I guess), I think these guys aren't left lying around for long if they have much to offer.

I would much prefer the Ravens to look at their current receiving corps and say, 'okay guys, now is your big chance. Go out there and prove to us that you can be valuable to this team'.

That's great and all, but we just paid our QB $100M and that's the kind of weapons you're going to give him? Ouch, I'm sorry Joe...

And I'd rather he was throwing the ball to young guys out to make their name in the game, rather than some old scrub who was never anything special to begin with.

In other words, no more Lee Evans, T.J. Houshmandzadeh signings. Particularly when the Ravens already have about eight receivers on the roster. If none of the six guys behind Torrey and Jacoby are good enough to catch a couple of dozen passes, then they shouldn't be on the roster.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Nate Washington comes up a lot in potential cut thread. Wouldn't mind picking him up if he becomes available.

Yeah, this was the way I took that quote from Ozzie.

I think the Ravens are fully comfortable with their current cast of WRs, but as opposed to being active in picking up an OT cut by a team, if a talented WR is cut off a roster... we might be interested.

But I think this will be a situation where we're willing to wait and see. There are no options out there that I think we're targeting... or else we'd have already picked them up/looking to pick them up after the draft.

But if our young guys struggle during camp to separate... and live up to our imaginings... and a veteran option with proven ability becomes available, I certainly wouldn't mind dipping into that pool.

But as of now, I would stand pat with what we have.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 24s
According to Monday's official NFL transaction report, the Ravens withdrew their ERFA tender to S Emmanuel Cook. He immediately became a FA.

And the safety depth competition thins out a bit.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 24s
According to Monday's official NFL transaction report, the Ravens withdrew their ERFA tender to S Emmanuel Cook. He immediately became a FA.

And the safety depth competition thins out a bit.

It does. But I don't see this as a big deal. I don't think Cook would've made the roster over our other guys.

I think he was definitely in last place out of:
Anthony Levine
Christian Thompson
Omar Brown
Him...

I can see us carrying five safeties but six wasn't likely. That said, I could potentially see us bringing in a veteran safety presence- just in case.

EDIT: So being the 7th safety of seven didn't really look so good for his chances. Whereas a guy like Omar Brown, who has two more years of practice squad eligibility probably has a shot at the roster if he can beat out Levine or Thompson... even though I doubt that he does.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I think Cook was pretty much a special teams player only. Just updating the thread. Very Happy

I assume Huff, Elam, Ihedigbo, and probably Thompson are safe to make the roster. That leaves Brown, Levine, and Trawick (UDFA signed last week) to compete for one spot. Maybe. I agree that they're not carrying six safeties on the rosters, especially when they have seven CBs who all have a shot at making the team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them only carry four if one of those depth corners shows some ability to play safety. Thompson being suspended for the first four games ensures at least one of those three named above will make the opening day roster but it'll be interesting to see who sticks after Thompson is activated.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Oh yeah I think Cook was pretty much a special teams player only. Just updating the thread. Very Happy

I assume Huff, Elam, Ihedigbo, and probably Thompson are safe to make the roster. That leaves Brown, Levine, and Trawick (UDFA signed last week) to compete for one spot. Maybe. I agree that they're not carrying six safeties on the rosters, especially when they have seven CBs who all have a shot at making the team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them only carry four if one of those depth corners shows some ability to play safety. Thompson being suspended for the first four games ensures at least one of those three named above will make the opening day roster but it'll be interesting to see who sticks after Thompson is activated.

My thought on that is we probably carry Brown for those four games and then demote him to practice squad once Thompson returns... unless there's some sort of injury that opens up a clean spot on the roster for a defensive back.

I'm also assuming that we carry 6 corners and 5 safeties though.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://russellstreetreport.com/salary-cap-notes-the-peculiar-case-of-ed-dickson/

Quote:
PRESENT SALARY CAP STATUS: With S Matt Elam and NT Brandon Williams being the only remaining unsigned draft picks, the Ravens are currently $1,803,573 under the Salary Cap. Once Elam and Williams have signed, the Ravens will be down to $951,459 in Salary Cap space. However, as of June 2nd, the Ravens will receive an additional $2.5M in Salary Cap space due to designating the March release of S Bernard Pollard as a post-June 1 release.

So the Ravens should have about $3.5 million in cap space leading to to and during training camp. That gives them a little wiggle room if they want to target any veterans that get cut.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 6m
Former Jaguars starting LB Darryl Smith is on the Ravens' radar for potential addition, per sources. No deal yet, but mutual interest there

Interesting. The other days Pees said McClain will be the starter and it's his job to lose when he gets back out on the field but if Smith sings I hope that's not the case. A starting duo of a healthy Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown is a very solid pair of ILBs. The biggest downside is that neither guy will likely have a firm grasp of the playbook and might not be suited to call the plays.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 6m
Former Jaguars starting LB Darryl Smith is on the Ravens' radar for potential addition, per sources. No deal yet, but mutual interest there

Interesting. The other days Pees said McClain will be the starter and it's his job to lose when he gets back out on the field but if Smith sings I hope that's not the case. A starting duo of a healthy Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown is a very solid pair of ILBs. The biggest downside is that neither guy will likely have a firm grasp of the playbook and might not be suited to call the plays.

Really? Someone who wasn't cut? Unusual.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 7m
Tight end Visante Shiancoe watching practice today with Ozzie Newsome. Possible signing for #Ravens.

He wouldn't be a bad option for the 3rd TE. I think Furstenburg has a real shot at that spot though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43
Page 43 of 43

Jump to: