Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should #9 be retired?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TitanLegend


Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 4021
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Should #9 be retired? Reply with quote

McNair is obviously one of the greatest Titans to ever play, however, it's highly unlikely that he'll ever be inducted in to the Hall of Fame, and the only Oiler/Titan player to have his number retired that isn't in the HoF is Jim Norton. Norton, however, was the AFL's all time interception leader, is still the Oilers/Titans all-time interception leader(despite only playing 9 seasons), and was one of the original Oilers. He was also the first to ever have his number retired. Every player since then to have their number retired(Campbell, Munchak, Matthews, Moon, Bethea) has been a member of the HoF.

McNair was inducted in to the Titans HoF alongside Eddie and Frank back in 08..is that the highest honor he will receive from us? Or will his number eventually be retired? If it's not retired, do you think it should be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dionysus


Joined: 24 May 2009
Posts: 1737
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it's a no-brainer. Whether McNair's a HOFer or not, his number should definitely be retired. To see it worn by another Titans player would seem like a slap in the face to his legacy and all of his fans.
_________________
HEALTH STATEMENT: I'm not "fat", just well nutritioned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
derekfelty


Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 738
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
s_camp


Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 2992
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any numbers should be retired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttitansfan4life


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25169
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
I don't think any numbers should be retired.


Not even 63 or 74?
_________________

Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Titans fan 617


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 10084
Location: BeanTown
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be retired but if they dont then dont hand that number out
_________________

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
*2011

Shaun Phillips: 10 Tackles 6 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 10 Tackles 7 Assist 2 Sack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chocolateman78


Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 5389
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO a player has to A) have a HOF career or B) win a championship to have their number retired. As much as I love Mac, he doesn't deserve to have #9 retired. Honestly I think the clamoring for the retirement of #9 comes from the fact that the man passed so soon after his playing career ended. I think the Ring of Honor is enough.

I mean if you retire McNair, you should retire Eddie, Wycheck, Hopkins, and a few others who were just as important to that late 90's/early 2000's run we had as McNair.
_________________

**RIP Steve McNair**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coleman51


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 2774
Location: Hendersonville, TN
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say absolutely for #9 but not for #27.

He and Jevon Kearse are my top two Titans of all-time.
_________________

Quote:
@jwyattsports 1h
#Titans safety Bernard Pollard on #Chiefs: “I’m mad at the fact they’ve decided to come here and play football in our stadium."


RIP Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
s_camp


Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 2992
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
s_camp wrote:
I don't think any numbers should be retired.


Not even 63 or 74?


None. Maybe 42 in MLB, but even that I don't really like. The reasoning for that is a much better justification than usual, but even then I think having current players wearing #42 would keep Robinson's story in front of people better.

IMO keeping the number in play is a better idea. Keeps alive the story of the player who make the number legendary and gives a new player something to live up to - imagine giving Warmack #74 and telling him to live up to it, or if Locker had to live up to #9. I mean, he's already the best #10 we've had, but... that's a low bar.

I like the Ring of Honor (or whatever you want to call it) idea much better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titansNvolsR#1


Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 12319
Location: Kuwait City
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhh. I love Steve as much as the next Titan fan, but what did he really do to deserve his number retired? If he wasn't taken from us, are we having this conversation? Seems like an early death of a player doubles their career achievements and accolades.

His numbers are good and what he meant to this franchise during his time here is immense, but retiring of numbers should be only for the league's best of the best, HOF-type players. Steve isn't.
_________________
My Student wrote:
Give your girlfriend my number, Mr. Garrett. I may be 12, but she deserves a real man. Not someone that gives homework in Math and Science the same night.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chocolateman78


Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 5389
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
s_camp wrote:
I don't think any numbers should be retired.


Not even 63 or 74?


None. Maybe 42 in MLB, but even that I don't really like. The reasoning for that is a much better justification than usual, but even then I think having current players wearing #42 would keep Robinson's story in front of people better.

IMO keeping the number in play is a better idea. Keeps alive the story of the player who make the number legendary and gives a new player something to live up to - imagine giving Warmack #74 and telling him to live up to it, or if Locker had to live up to #9. I mean, he's already the best #10 we've had, but... that's a low bar.

I like the Ring of Honor (or whatever you want to call it) idea much better.


I dig that, I think it should be something to be earned. I like the idea of awarding it as a team post season accolade and giving the player the option to wear it. For example, say Jake Locker had a break out season and good follow up the year after and we decide to sign him long term. say the team decided to publically offer Locker the opportunity to wear #9 in honor of McNair. Locker would have the right to take #9 or reject the offer and keep #10 but I think the honor would be cool. I bet young players would appreciate the honor to wear an iconic number.
_________________

**RIP Steve McNair**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
s_camp


Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 2992
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
s_camp wrote:
I don't think any numbers should be retired.


Not even 63 or 74?


None. Maybe 42 in MLB, but even that I don't really like. The reasoning for that is a much better justification than usual, but even then I think having current players wearing #42 would keep Robinson's story in front of people better.

IMO keeping the number in play is a better idea. Keeps alive the story of the player who make the number legendary and gives a new player something to live up to - imagine giving Warmack #74 and telling him to live up to it, or if Locker had to live up to #9. I mean, he's already the best #10 we've had, but... that's a low bar.

I like the Ring of Honor (or whatever you want to call it) idea much better.


I dig that, I think it should be something to be earned. I like the idea of awarding it as a team post season accolade and giving the player the option to wear it. For example, say Jake Locker had a break out season and good follow up the year after and we decide to sign him long term. say the team decided to publically offer Locker the opportunity to wear #9 in honor of McNair. Locker would have the right to take #9 or reject the offer and keep #10 but I think the honor would be cool. I bet young players would appreciate the honor to wear an iconic number.


Not a bad idea, but what happens if a player takes a historic number then just starts to suck? Do they have to give it up?

And aren't there league rules about players changing numbers? I think it's somewhat difficult to do unless you go to a new team and your old number is already taken.

I say just hand the numbers out as if they're unremarkable and let the players make them legendary as they're able. If there are a few forgettable #9s between McNair and the next great one, then just forget the forgettable ones and focus on the great ones. YMMV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheDeeeeej


Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 13974
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like retiring numbers.

But in this case I say retire the number.

His impact on this team goes off the field as well.

He basically built up the fan base when they moved the Tennessee. I mean he is probably the reason I am a Titans fan. And Im sure Im not the only one to feel that way.
_________________

[Adopt a Titan] [Derrick Morgan] [Robert Johnson]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VY


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 2987
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
Ehhhh. I love Steve as much as the next Titan fan, but what did he really do to deserve his number retired? If he wasn't taken from us, are we having this conversation? Seems like an early death of a player doubles their career achievements and accolades.


MVP? Look at the past 20 years, and tell me how many teams have had one of their players win MVP (or co-MVP in McNair's case)? Small list when you think about it (12 different teams in the past 20 years, including TEN).

The guy was one yard from potentially winning a SB, and going through the move, living in Nashville at the time I remember how important those top 4/5 guys were just in winning over the locals (in what at the time was a highly NCAA football city/state). McNair carried the team from 2001 til he left, I'd say he deserves it. He was one of the best at his position when he was at his peak.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group