Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Larry Johnson revisited...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is at least a shred of Larry Johnson in Knile Davis, which is why I have hopes about that pick. That is in addition to the size an speed comparisons.

Unfortunately, the willingness to accept contact when hitting a crease, does not seem to be one of the similarities. At least, based on how Davis ran last year in college.

J

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbarkc wrote:
The only time I cried with joy at a game was when Green hit Larry at the end of a game at Arrowhead against the Raiders. The receivers all went on streaks with the D playing prevent so the middle was open. Larry was the release up the middle and Trent dumped it off. He ran down to the goal line and we called a time out. The next play we punched it in for the win in a game where we had a lead and should have won, but the refs tried to give it away (as usual). It was glorious.

I will never forget the forlorn Raiders team sulking into the tunnel. Then the refs had to call them back for the mandatory pat. Kerry Collins ended up lining up just to get 11 guys on the line, even though the rest of the Raiders team was strewn in pause across the field waiting to head into the tunnel.

My second favorite memory of a game.

That must’ve been awesome to be there. I was in a half-empty sports bar in Harrisburg, PA. Sitting within earshot were two Raider fans who were whooping it up all game long.

That play was awesome! Better yet was when Vermeil blew off the obligatory tying FG and went for it. I knew we would score.

When we did, I exclaimed, quite loudly, while doing a pretty good Ric Flair imitation, “Now that’s balls out football! Whooooooooo!”. I paid the bill and my wife and I promptly left. She still brings it up today, fondly. It was pretty funny.

BTW: What’s #1?
omar72587

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite how things ended with LJ, where would you rank him of all time chiefs greats? I could argue that he was def one of the best. Def not better than Charles Very Happy
starbarkc

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Vermeil waffling for a moment and then getting pretty animated and fired up as he told the offense to punch it in. The whole team wanted to, as did the crowd. We were all yelling at him to go for it. No doubt he cried at the press conference. I will never forget Warren Sapp standing at midfield and watching the PAT.

Mongo wrote:

this

Dante peaked literally at this moment. You can tell exactly when the stadium erupted (a second or two after those no-call blocks in the back).

I have had the great fortune to attend a lot of games when I was a kid. I never heard the stadium louder than during/right after that play.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbarkc wrote:
I remember Vermeil waffling for a moment and then getting pretty animated and fired up as he told the offense to punch it in. The whole team wanted to, as did the crowd. We were all yelling at him to go for it. No doubt he cried at the press conference. I will never forget Warren Sapp standing at midfield and watching the PAT.

Mongo wrote:

this

Dante peaked literally at this moment. You can tell exactly when the stadium erupted (a second or two after those no-call blocks in the back).

I have had the great fortune to attend a lot of games when I was a kid. I never heard the stadium louder than during/right after that play.

Man we need our team to get good again, just so Arrowhead can feel like that again.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
jimmydee

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go back to the late 60's sitting there watching our Chiefs... For you younger guys, there's nothing in sports like a good KC tailgate, a 3:00 asskicking of the Raiders, and a FULL, antimated Arrowhead Stadium. NOTHING!!!!

Let's hope you guys get to experience that, (and me too....one more time!!) Wink
Mongo

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
I go back to the late 60's sitting there watching our Chiefs... For you younger guys, there's nothing in sports like a good KC tailgate, a 3:00 asskicking of the Raiders, and a FULL, antimated Arrowhead Stadium. NOTHING!!!!

Let's hope you guys get to experience that, (and me too....one more time!!) Wink

I first went to Arrowhead in 1993 to see the Raiders game. Montana’s first year. This was coincidence, I was no bandwagon jumper. I had just gotten my first professional job and for the first time had money to go. I winged the whole trip on the tail end of training trip to Colorado and expensed the air fare. Naughty, naughty. I had no game ticket. Mongo’s Big Adventure!

I flew in on a Saturday and spent nearly $1000 at the mall on Chief’s everything. Before the Internet, if you lived in PA, you couldn’t find Chiefs goods anywhere. My Dad would later ask me if had bought Chief’s condoms.

I scalped a ticket in the parking lot the day of the game. This period of my life was tough. My daughter was just born out of wedlock to a woman I wanted no future with. When I got into the stadium and saw the field I blubbered like a baby! The crowd was juiced. It was, after all, a Raiders game. Montana pulled a hammy scrambling at some point, but the Chiefs won pretty easily. It was a great day! The only thing I missed on was mooching a piece of someone’s pig roast.

I’ve been back to Arrowhead since then, but not since 1997. Any Chiefs fan who has never been there must go. Hopefully, as you say, when the team is a legitimate contender again.

The daughter I spoke of is now a mother of two. They won’t be Chiefs fans most likely. Still, maybe next time it will be “Gumpy Mongo and the Grandkids Big Adventure”.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: