Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OTAs 2: Spikes still a no-show, Dobson makes another catch!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richter

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Still don't understand the Blount trade.

Garbage in, garbage out. Better value than a 6th round pick. Makes sense once word of his re-worked contract broke.

I'd rather have the pick, personally. I really hope he doesn't make the roster.

The chances of Blount being useful are way higher than a random 6th round pick, much as I don't like Blount.

Higher than a random 6th round pick? Sure, I suppose. That said, I don't think the Patriots would select a player randomly, they might even select someone good. That possibility at least exists with the pick, it doesn't with Blount. Best case scenario, he's a serviceable backup that keeps his nose clean. I'm not hopeful for that scenario.

Their list of non-Brady 6th's tells me that Blount is a much more likely bet to contribute:

Nate Ebner
Markell Carter
Ted Larsen
Jake Ingram
Myron Pryor
Bo Ruud
Justin Rogers
Justice Hairston
Mike Richardson
Jeremy Mincey
Corey Hilliard
Dan Stevenson
LeKevin Smith
Kliff Kingsbury
Arther Love
Leonard Myers
Antwan Harris
Tom Brady
David Nugent

Mincey is the best of the non-Brady's (by far) but never made the team. Hilliard and Larsen have been somewhat useful but again, never made the team. Smith, Pryor, Harris and Myers were adequate short term role players.

Blount is better than all of the non-Brady, non-Mincey guys on that list. Even if he's a turd and gets cut in camp, he's in the same boat as half of those guys (never suiting up for even 1 game in New England).

You completely missed my point. I'm not arguing that a 6th round pick is more likely to contribute something than Blount, I'm arguing that a 6th round pick at least has the chance to turn into something great. Blount has no such ability. I would rather have the tiny chance of landing a stud, knowing the likelihood is that I get a less valuable player than Blount, because that's how little I value Blount.
Grachuus

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you know best case Blount is adequate and you'd rather have taken a lotto ticket.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A few leftover thoughts from the Patriots' practice on Wednesday:

1. Hybrid players on D open options. Because the Patriots have versatile linebackers who fit in multiple roles (in some cases they could be defensive ends), it creates a scenario where the unit can alter its looks. That's by design. "It's great that we have so many guys that can do different things in the front seven," said 6-foot-2, 260-pound Rob Ninkovich, one of those hybrids. "That obviously is going to help change things up. That's the one thing about the NFL -- you can't stay in the same thing for too long because everyone is studying and doing their homework on what you're doing. The best thing is to change up and be multiple."

2. Sorting through some Jenkins & Dobson thoughts. The veteran know-how of Michael Jenkins, and perhaps Tom Brady's confidence in his experience and consistency in route-running, had him most often lined up with Danny Amendola as the top pairing in drills. Second-round pick Aaron Dobson has more upside as an outside receiver, and one can already see his knack for snaring contested passes, but the question is going to be how quickly he might be able to close the gap on Jenkins and show the consistency needed to earn his spot on the field. That's going to be a storyline to follow in training camp; the train moves fast and it can be a challenge for rookies to keep up.

3. Top four cornerbacks making plays on the ball. Cornerbacks Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington and Ras-I Dowling all had at least one pass breakup. One thing that stood out was their decisive breaks on the ball, with Dowling doing it on back-to-back plays. He's been one of the surprising performers of the two practices open to media members.

4. Wilson & Gregory at safety. Devin McCourty (shoulder) is not yet cleared for action, which had veterans Adrian Wilson and Steve Gregory as the top pairing at safety. Wilson's size (6-3, 230) provides a dimension that the Patriots didn't have last year. His presence looks like it could most affect safety Tavon Wilson, as one question entering his second season is if he might be ready to take on a larger role. The signing of Adrian Wilson could block his path, but at the same time give him a veteran presence to study closely and learn from.

5. Fletcher & Rivera benefit from Spikes' absence. With starting middle linebacker Brandon Spikes the lone player not attending voluntary workouts, four-year veteran Dane Fletcher and second-year man Mike Rivera have seen an uptick in reps. At one point, when the tempo was picking up and there was an urgency to get the call from the sideline, Rivera seemed to be the player in control of things.

6. Lesser-known players who had us taking note. A few lesser-known players who showed up at various points included receivers Kamar Aiken (nice catch on a Ryan Mallett laser) and Kenbrell Thompkins (reps in running game drill opposite veteran Lavelle Hawkins), punter Ryan Allen (strong leg) and tight end Zach Sudfeld (lot of passes thrown his way).

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4743909/leftovers-from-patriots-practice

Aaron Dobson:

Tom Brady Tribute
Richter

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grachuus wrote:
So basically you know best case Blount is adequate and you'd rather have taken a lotto ticket.

Given the backfield depth they currently have, yes, without question.

Also, Dobson is going to be a stud. I can see him making a huge impact this year if he can earn Brady's trust early.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who does it look like covering Dobson in the picture? Arrington maybe?
Tom Brady Tribute
Richter

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Who does it look like covering Dobson in the picture? Arrington maybe?

Looks like Dennard to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: