Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Skins fan here: What is your teams direction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Skins fan here: What is your teams direction? Reply with quote

Obviously, you guys have won 2 SB's very recent & that must be awesome for you guys.
So congratulations on that front.

But why not maintain that dominance? You guys were there...

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
I think at worse, he could be used in minimal situations or short yardage situations.
But he's gone...

Bradshaw was banged up, but really produced for you guys.
He scared opposing Defenses with his speed and play making ability.
I don't know if he wanted too much money, or the coaches simply wanted to move on.
But he's gone, too...

Now your threats at RB are Wilson & Andre Brown.

If you're going to release M. Bennett, who was a huge target for Eli. Why would you not replace him? You had Tyler Eifert in your sites @19 and passed...Only to see the Bengals scoop him up 2 picks later @21. They didn't even need a TE. What gives?

Ok..I understand your RT situation was arguably worse, than your TE situation which explains the selection of Justin Pugh. But why not go value here and get Eifert @19, then sign Winston Justice for your RT spot. A veteran...Or perhaps someone else?

I can't argue with your 2nd & 3rd rd selections cause those were great picks with great value. But why go QB in the 4th, with many other good players sitting there and the needs you have. You still have David Carr on the roster who I think is a darn good backup.
You could have landed
CB Webb, B.W. (cowboys) who could have enforced your secondary with a little aging of Corey Webster & Kevin Ross.
OLB Khaseem Greene (Bears) who could have loaded up on your linebacker core with losses to Blackburn & Boley.
OLB Gerald Hodges was on the board (Vikings)
Johnathan Franklin (Packers) Or why not this guy with your 4th rd pick? Having him, & Wilson back there, along with Andre Brown would sure make the pain of losing Jacobs & Bradshaw a little better.
Quinton Patton (49ers) Why not reload the WR core? With Cruz's future unknown. Nicks a little banged up & recovering from injury. Even if you are keeping Randle, Jernigan and newly signed Barden...That's 5 WR's right there. You don't think Patten could beat out Adams, Collins, Horne or Murphy to be your #6. There's talk he could be the Niners #2 with Crabtree out.

And you could do that, if you planned on only carry 2 QB's in Eli & Carr. (And drafting one these guys in Nassib's place listed above) Now, you run the risk of carrying 1 less needed roster spot having 3 QB's on your roster, or letting a very good backup go in David Carr for an unknown in Nassib.

Even with losses of Blackburn, which I thought letting him go was crazy. (huge INT in SB vs Patriots and was the guy who caused the fumble on Moss in the game last yr on the Redskins final drive)

He could be why we didn't go 6-0 in the Division last season, cause I think RG3 pulls out the miracle win, if not for Blackburn in the game @Giants.(The drive right after the miracle Eli/Cruz pass play)

Boley was good as well.

But I think your Defense will be ok, though.
Drafting DT Johnathan Hankins & DE/OLB Damontre Moore were great picks.

Also signing Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Dan Connor & Aaron Curry makes these losses ok, imo. You guys will be fine on Defense.

It's your Offense I would be worried about. (Giants fans are apparently worried about Defense & not Offense which is weird to me)

Ok..You got Eli which makes everything seem ok. And it is, if he's healthy which he always is.

If Justin Pugh is the real deal @RT, your O-Line will be improved if not real good.

Even your WR's are talented and a threat to any opposing Defenses with the guys mentioned above.

But here's where the problem lies with the N.Y. Football Giants.
Your running game & TE situation.

1st) Your running game isn't terrible, but it's unknown. No experience there...
is Wilson going to be the main guy? Are you using him to return punts as well?
Can he even BE a 25-30 carry running back? I don't know...

When you had Bradshaw & Jacobs, you had Thunder & Lightening...
It was such a force, that it opened up your whole passing game...play action...whatever...for Eli
Then you had Jacobs to mow down Defenses in the 4th QTR into submission.

That's gone now...that's over...

Now you're hoping, that Wilson can be like Bradshaw. (without the fumble issues...i know)
But we really don't know that about him, do we?

2)Your TE situation is the killer here, imo.
I mean...bad is not even the word to use here.

Who's trottin' out there @TE...Bear Pascoe?
I guess it's going to be Brandon Myers, but it's probably up in the air.

Point is...Eli has no outlet here. Bennett was huge for Eli last season.

Now maybe you guys think that any TE can do well in your offense, like Boss did?
But you had a serious running game then, which opened up everyone.

Not having a Running game is going to make Play Action more difficult & no TE could be tough for Eli as well. Maybe Pugh buys him more time? We'll see...

Don't get me wrong...You guys are still good and going to be a threat for all the NFC East.
Eli is too competitive to not keep the team upright.

I just think I would have added a 6'6" TE in Tyler Eifert to make you guys unstoppable.
The Right tackle spot could have been added later in draft or Free agency, imo.

I mean lets face it...
Eifert is Shockey, without the attitude.

Now the Bengals have him & Jermaine Gresham.

Sorry about the injury to FB Hynoski.
I hope he recovers quickly...

Anyways...I hope I wasn't too brash in my comments about the off season stuff.
I'm looking forward to a very exciting season & battle with you guys again.

You guys are our main competition in the East as of right now.

Do you guys agree with anything I've said?

If not, explain to me why I'm off base in my comments.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you noted, the Giants have won 2 superbowls in the past 6 years. So I'm willing to give the Giants front office the benefit of the doubt. Looking back several years at the players the Giants have let go, there is only one I can think of out of a dozen that the Giants should have kept - Barry Cofield. Everyone else has done little to nothing on their new teams, and the Giants have found capable replacements.

Your view of players seems a bit inaccurate as well. Bradshaw and Jacobs scared opposing defenses 3-4 years ago. They are both out of jobs, that should tell you something. David Wilson was a first round pick. We'll be fine at running back.

Tight end has always been a revolving door for the Giants, and they always leave better than when they came in. Brandon Myers was had 79 receptions last year, and the Giants are giving him 3 million dollars for this season. I think it's safe to assume he's going to be the starter. You're acting like he's some unknown scrub, when in fact he's the most established TE we've had coming in for a few years now.

The Giants won their superbowls for two reasons. Eli Manning, and a strong defensive line. Eli is still here. We drafted a player in the first round to better protect him. We brought in a receiving threat for him at TE. Our defensive line is adding Cullen Jenkins, Damontre Moore and Jonathon Hankins. If you ask me, the Giants are focusing on the areas they should be.

Let me help you sleep better at night though. The Giants do have question marks. The cornerback position is the weakest it's been in years in my opinion. Prince Amukamara is the only guy that I really trust out there at this point, and he's only done it for one year. Corey Webster, who has been the guy for us for many years is clearly on the decline.

Other than that, if this roster stays healthy, the Giants should be right back in title contention. Have no fear.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Acgott

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot really argue with the points that Gmen made

Jacobs was released 2 years ago because he wasn't getting the short yards he was supposed to. He was getting stopped at the line of scrimmage.
Jacobs will also be 31 in July. He is pretty much done as a football player

Bradshaw has had multiple injuries on his feet. He can no longer be counted on to be successful as a primary back.

Wilson was drafted first for a reason. Also he has NEVER returned punts. He will probably be limited in Kick Off returns or replaced with someone like Jerrel Jernigan or Da'rel Scott

For TE... The Giants replaced Bennett had the 13th most receiving yards for a Tight End last year for the guy that had the 6th most receiving yards for a Tight End? Also the Giants are extremely high on Adrien Robinson
The Giants change their TE every year, and still get consistent data. The current Giants system barely uses the TE, hence why we do need to use a great one just to get average stats.

You are aware that Winston Justice is garbage right thus still a FA?

With Ryan Nassib I direct you to Kirk Cousins

Boley didn't make an impact in the Giants last few games. On top of Boley's legal problems he is not coming back
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the only poster left on this forum that thinks Jacobs mowed people down and plowed through defenses on a regular basis. Or...more than 3 times in his career. Horrible short yardage back.

We also don't use a TE heavily in our offense so...yea. That and we can apparently plug in any TE and have him go for 500 yards and a handful of scores so why spend a high/mid round pick on one.

We're fine.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to bring up other arguments but I think Gmen made all of them Laughing

Not a Knicks fan
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So according to you, our defense is fine, but our offense isn't great because we don't have robot feet and the tiptoe burglar anymore?

Why did I even bother opening this thread...

HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Skins fan here: What is your teams direction? Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
But why not maintain that dominance? You guys were there...

I stopped reading after I read this. I've seen this argument before. It cracks me up.

BTW, David Wilson is going to rush for 1100 yards this year, which is more than Jacobs ever did in his career.
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason the Giants' Front Office is the Giants' Front Office, and you are just some lunatic posting on a football forum.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggsam49 wrote:
There is a reason the Giants' Front Office is the Giants' Front Office, and you are just some lunatic posting on a football forum.

Easy on the attacks...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Skins fan here: What is your teams direction? Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:

Do you guys agree with anything I've said?.

No.
bigbluefan80

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what direction is our team going...

up.

end article please.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading after the jacobs argument (very first statement) im not wasting any time in my life to read this

If jacobs is so awesome, why dont the redskins sign him?

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: