Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greatest Bills jersey numbers of all-time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Greatest Bills jersey numbers of all-time Reply with quote

Honorable Mention
#77 (Stew Barber, Ben Williams)
#26 (George Saimes, Charles Romes, Antoine Winfield)
#58 (Mike Stratton)
#51 (Jim Ritcher, John Tracey)
#56 (Darryl Talley, Sam Cowart)
#95 (Bryce Paup, Kyle Williams)
#89 (Steve Tasker, Lou Piccone)

Joe DeLamielleure.
  • Member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • Member of the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame
  • Member of the Buffalo Bills 50th Anniversary Team
  • Member of the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame
  • Member of the NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
  • 5 Pro Bowls
  • 3 times first-team All-Pro
  • Numerous Offensive Lineman awards
  • Joe D played against Joe Greene eight times in his career, holding him to only 15 tackles and 1 sack

Two great offensive linemen wore #67, center Kent Hull and guard Reggie McKenzie. Hull is on the 50th Anniversary team while McKenzie is on the 25th Anniversary Team. They are each on the Bills Wall of Fame and Hull is additionally in the Greater Buffalo sports Hall of Fame. They combine for 341 games, 4 Pro Bowls, and 3 times first-team All-Pro. Hull solidified Buffalo’s offensive line during their Super Bowl run and was integral in communicating with Jim Kelly to execute the no huddle offense. Reggie McKenzie was a mainstay on the Electric Company that blocked for O.J. Simpson.

Eric Moulds was extremely productive despite inconsistent quarterback play and seemingly endless changes on offense. He was selected to three Pro Bowls as well as the Bills 50th Anniversary team.

James Lofton didn’t play in Buffalo for very long, but the Hall of Famer was a good compliment to Andre Reed. He was selected to the Bills 50th Anniversary team despite his short time as a Bill.

Jerry Butler was a very good receiver who contributed to Buffalo’s run in the early 80’s.

Three great players donned #20 for the Bills. The first of which was cornerback Robert James. The speedster went to three consecutive Pro Bowls and was named first-team All-Pro twice before his career was cut short due to a knee injury. James is on the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame and was voted to the Bills 25th Anniversary team.

Joe Cribbs didn’t spend much time in Buffalo due to a contract dispute, but was selected to three Pro Bowls before he left. He rushed for 1,185 yards and 11 touchdowns in his rookie season.

Henry Jones was a great strong safety for the Bills from 1991-2000. His breakout season came in 1992 when he intercepted 8 passes for 263 yards and 2 touchdowns.

#70 is all about the trenches. The following three players played a combined 442 games for the Bills. Let’s start with Tom Sestak:
  • Member of the Buffalo Bills 25th Anniversary Team
  • Member of the AFL All-Time Team
  • 4 Pro Bowls
  • 3 times first-team All-Pro
  • 51 career unofficial sacks (5th in team history)
  • 14.5 unofficial sacks in 1964 (14-game season)

Joe Devlin played predominately at right tackle for the Bills from 1976-1989. He was selected to the Buffalo Bills 25th Anniversary team. Devlin was a pretty good player who was underrated. Jim Ritcher was the only offensive lineman who played more games for the Bills.

John Fina played predominately at left tackle for the Bills from 1992-2001.

Billy Shaw. I think his accomplishments speak for itself:
  • Member of the AFL All-Time Team
  • 8 Pro Bowls
  • 5 times first-team All-Pro
  • The only member in the Pro Football Hall of Fame who never played a down in the NFL

O.J. Simspon. Arguably the greatest Bills player of all-time definitely doesn’t need to share #32 with anybody:
  • Member of the NFL’s 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
  • Member of the NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
  • 1973 NFL MVP and Offensive Player of the Year
  • 6 Pro Bowls, 1-time Pro Bowl MVP
  • 5 times first-team All-Pro
  • First player to rush for 2,000 yards in a season (only player in a 14-game season)
  • 1st (143.1 in 1973) and 6th (129.8 in 1975) all-time for single season rushing yards per game
  • Four NFL rushing titles

A case could certainly be made for #12 to be number one, it is after all the only jersey that has officially been retired by the Bills. Although the next two on this list have been unofficially retired. There are a trio of quarterbacks worth talking about with #12. Let’s start with the greatest in franchise history, Jim Kelly:
  • 5 Pro Bowls
  • 1 time first-team All-Pro
  • Led the Bills to seven Division titles and four consecutive Conference Championships

Joe Ferguson was the Bills starting quarterback from 1973-1984. Ferguson is most known for his play on an injured ankle during week 16 of the 1980 season to help get the Bills to the playoffs. Later, Ferguson was fully examined and it was discovered his ankle was pulled, sprained, torn, and had a cracked bone. Ferguson was a great leader and he was as tough as they come.

While Daryle Lamonica later made his name with the Raiders, he spent his first four seasons backing up Jack Kemp and occasionally starting. Not a bad one-two punch at quarterback at all.

The number 34 has been worn by some great running backs. Let’s start with Thurman Thomas:
  • Member of the NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
  • Led the NFL in yards from scrimmage for four consecutive years from 1989-1992 (NFL record)
  • 1991 NFL MVP and Offensive Player of the Year
  • 5 Pro Bowls
  • 2 times first-team All-Pro

Cookie Gilchrist was another amazing football player. Despite only being with the Bills for three years, he made a huge impact. Gilchrist was the first AFL player to rush for 1,000 yards. He was the AFL MVP in 1962 and is on the AFL All-Time team. His 4.5 yards per carry as a Bill is fourth best in franchise history, behind only C.J. Spiller, O.J. Simpson and Fred Jackson.

Jim Braxton was the fullback who helped block for O.J. Simpson during the 70’s. He also touched the ball occasionally. In 1975 Braxton accumulated 1,102 yards from scrimmage and 13 touchdowns. Meanwhile Simpson had a league leading 2,243 yards from scrimmage and 23 touchdowns… so the two combined for 3,345 yards and 36 touchdowns that season!

For thirty of Buffalo’s fifty-three seasons, the number 78 has been worn by three great players. One of which needs no introduction. Many Bills fans long for the days of chanting Bruuuuuce at Rich Stadium:
  • Member of the NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
  • Member of the NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
  • NFL All-Time Sack Leader
  • 2-time AP Defensive Player of the Year
  • 11 Pro Bowls, 1-time Pro Bowl MVP
  • 8 times first-team All-Pro
  • 217 games as a Bill (only Andre Reed has more)

Jim Dunaway was a defensive tackle for the Bills from 1963-1971, making the Pro Bowl four straight times and being named AP first-team All-Pro once. He was stout in the middle of Buffalo’s defensive line, making it nearly impossible for opposing teams to run against the Bills. Dunaway played a big role in a defense that prevented a rushing touchdown for seventeen consecutive games from 1964-1965, a pro football record. In the 1964 AFL Championship game, the Chargers never made it past the Buffalo twenty-four yard line. Dunaway blocked a field goal to help preserve a 23-0 shutout. Dunway’s 126 games as a Bill is the third most for a defensive tackle, behind only Fred Smerlas and Mike Kadish.

Dave Foley was the left tackle in the famed Electric Company that “turned the Juice loose.” He played for Buffalo from 1972-1977, earning Pro Bowl honors in 1973.

Last edited by jb_gobills on Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 am; edited 6 times in total
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice write up, jb!

I think I'd have to put 12 as the #1 on the list. I'd also move 67 and 80 ahead of 20, and probably ahead of 70 as well.

Depending on how the next 5 years go, do you think we could see 94 on this list as well, with Schobel and Mario?

McNabbMcFadden wrote:
West Coast is Best Coast
-Hope- wrote:
BBF droppin cold hard facts up in hurr
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Very nice write up, jb!

I think I'd have to put 12 as the #1 on the list. I'd also move 67 and 80 ahead of 20, and probably ahead of 70 as well.

Thanks. The top three were pretty tough for me to rank with 78, 34 and 12 all being so great.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Depending on how the next 5 years go, do you think we could see 94 on this list as well, with Schobel and Mario?

And Mark Pike as well.
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a relatively young Bills fan this was a great read! It's sad realizing how few Bills greats I have been able to see play Sad

I have only been able to see Eric Moulds play in a Bills uniform Confused I have seen Bruce but not in a Bills uniform.

Big question for me, what about 83? Andre Reed and Lee Evans come to my mind as two big name Bills. Might not be top 10 but should be considered in the honorable mentioned.

I hope we get to add lots of numbers to this list in a few years. I could see 28 and 94 joining the list the quickest.

A little side note - I'm designing a pool table using the numbers of the Bills greats and this well help out a ton!

FFMD: Bills War Room
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb_gobills wrote:
BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Very nice write up, jb!

Thanks. The top three were pretty tough for me to rank with 78, 34 and 12 all being so great.

Yeah I'm sure it was hard ranking these. You obviously put in a lot of time, and I'm sure had to do a good amount of research.

jb_gobills wrote:
BigBillsFan13 wrote:

And Mark Pike as well.

What did he have, 1 career sack? Or am I thinking of the wrong guy?

McNabbMcFadden wrote:
West Coast is Best Coast
-Hope- wrote:
BBF droppin cold hard facts up in hurr
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
jb_gobills wrote:
BigBillsFan13 wrote:

And Mark Pike as well.

What did he have, 1 career sack? Or am I thinking of the wrong guy?

Yeah, but he was a hell of a special teamer.
jracesBillsFan

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post JB. Talk about a trip down memory lane Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: