Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Maybe This Is Hayden Smith's Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHarvey

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Maybe This Is Hayden Smith's Year Reply with quote

Being a former rugby player, I couldn't help but be thrilled when the Jets brought on Hayden last year. He spent the season basically learning football from scratch (including how to put on the helmet and strap it in place). I think it speaks to his athleticism that he actually moved from the practice squad to playing in several games (albeit just a few plays) but the feedback from coaches towards the end of the season was quite positive. Rex was complaining that no one seemed to be able to tackle the guy in practice.

Here's a link to an 8 minute video. Not being technically savvy, I'm not sure if the link will work so maybe someone can fix it like a moderator. Thanks.
David

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/JTL-Hayden-Smith-%E2%80%98It%E2%80%99s-Night--Day%E2%80%99/14396d8b-5a3e-4019-91b6-d271fec4df79
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so. We really need a starting caliber TE who can help who ever our QB is. Out of our group of TE's, I'm rooting for Hayden but I think we will sign a starting TE after preseason cuts.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
KBS756

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be great if he managed to become a decent tight end for us especially in so little time.
jetfuel

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see him do well but I think he will not see any playing time this year. I see the jets picking up a June 1 cut or a preseason cut like Brent Celick, Brandon Myers, Kevin Boss, or maybe Jeremy Shockey.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He literally has no competition, besides himself. I didn't think he could be our starter, but our prospects at the TE position are bare. We have career backups Cumberland and Rueler, Haydo, then 2 UDFA in Shanahan and Pantale. I really like Shanahan since he is athletic being a former WR, if he doesn't make it hopefully he ends up on the PS.

But yeah, I think if Haydo made the team last year then he will this year too.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Rich51

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cumberland will surprise us this year with 40-50 receptions. Also I think Bohanon with get a chance at TE.

I hope Haydon can win the job but I'm not counting on it.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly think Cumberland can be a starting TE for the Jets. Last season he was returning from a serious injury.

He's got good speed, runs decent routes and showed pretty good hands. If he continues to develop he's going to be a solid player, especially in a west coast system.

The Jets certainly need a complement to him but I see no reason why he can't be the starting TE this year.

- Cliff Burton
DHarvey

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Jets Camp last summer and Cumberland was cool to watch in action. He's got good hands, especially grabbing balls thrown high (hmmm who throws balls too high). I would not be surprised to see him become Keller's replacement.
moham-17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We certainly need some people on this offense to step up, I hope he can be one of those guys.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: