Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers sign Colts Dwight Freeney to a 2-year, $13.5M deal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Chargers sign Colts Dwight Freeney to a 2-year, $13.5M deal Reply with quote

Quote:
Chargers are nearing a deal with veteran pass rusher Dwight Freeney. He's been picky so far. Kudos to new GM Tom Telesco on this one

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/335720750545788928

Quote:
Chargers close to finalizing a deal for Dwight Freeney. New Chargers GM Tom Telesco was with him in Indy

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/335729662649057280

***Update***
Quote:
Source: #Chargers have an agreement in principle for a 2-year deal with Dwight Freeney

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/335777641523212288

***Update***
Quote:
More reason to get the quarterback: With incentives, Freeney's 2-year deal with #Chargers could be worth $13.5 million.

http://twitter.com/JarrettBell/statuses/335802152586997760
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sat May 18, 2013 1:15 pm; edited 6 times in total
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hope this happens. Not the only guy I think would work but he will definately work. I think the coaches will find a way to make the 3-4 thing work with him. Im expecting a Hybrid D which would be just tweaking what we already do.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully us being desperate doesn't mean the numbers kill us next year and 2015...

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Source: #Chargers have an agreement in principle for a 2-year deal with Dwight Freeney

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/335777641523212288

Quote:
Hearing that Dwight Freeney deal with the #Chargers should be done today...after #Patriots and #Broncos showed last-minute interest.

http://twitter.com/JarrettBell/statuses/335776703987204096
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team made it official.

***Update***
Quote:
More reason to get the quarterback: With incentives, Freeney's 2-year deal with #Chargers could be worth $13.5 million.

http://twitter.com/JarrettBell/statuses/335802152586997760
Tom Brady Tribute
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
5/18/2013: Signed a two-year, $8.75 million contract. The deal contains $4.75 million guaranteed -- a $3.25 million signing bonus and Freeney's first-year base salary. Another $4.6 million is available through sack-based incentives. 2013: $1.5 million, 2014: $3.5 million (+ $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: Free Agent

It's not a bad deal. He's going to get paid to really perform, which works for both sides. If he's not doing it, it's a 1yr $4.75m rental.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Nobody

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Goodbye Freeney.

Don't think he's worth 7 a year, but he is underrated. Even when he isn't getting to the QB he occupies blockers and helps the players around him greatly.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
5/18/2013: Signed a two-year, $8.75 million contract. The deal contains $4.75 million guaranteed -- a $3.25 million signing bonus and Freeney's first-year base salary. Another $4.6 million is available through sack-based incentives. 2013: $1.5 million, 2014: $3.5 million (+ $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: Free Agent

It's not a bad deal. He's going to get paid to really perform, which works for both sides. If he's not doing it, it's a 1yr $4.75m rental.

I am perfectly ok if it's a 1 year 4.75m and we are off the hook deal. If it's only with high production that he makes the 13.5 I am perfectly ok with that too. I will never cry for a player hitting incentives, it's the guaranteed money that kills us.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was like WTF. I thought we got hosed on this deal. Then after reading "y'alls" post about it being performance friendly and low risk I actually like it. I mean if we are paying the guy 4.75 Mil for his name and taking up blockers I'm ok with that. Then if he produces I'm perfectly fine with upping that to 7 Mil. I kinda wish that all contracts were structured this way. At least you get what you pay for. Just think if we gave he who shalt not be named (Leaf) a base salary based on his draft pick and then incentives if he played well. We wouldn't have taken such a big hit. Players bust all of the time. It's time they start "earning" thier checks. I mean if I recieved 1 Mil starting off and then told if I avg 4 YPC it goes up to 5 Mil. You know damn well I'm gonna get 4 YPC or die trying. I don't think saying hey you need 12 sacks or no bonus works but If I said 1 sack per X number of plays that would work.
Persian Bolt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Freeney can be half of what he used to be or even near to his prime days then this is a great pickup. The guy just needs to attract blockers for the young ones to shoot through.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the numbers, it looks like we paid what we did to outbid the Lions. His guaranteed cap hit for us this year is more than the Lions had to spend before June 1st, when there could have been a bidding war.

Source (working again): https://nflplayers.com/reports/RunPublicReport.aspx?report=top51

Freeney and Starks took up almost all of the remaining cap space. So, the "reasonable" incentive part of the contract was probably a way for the Chargers to get him at less money now and pay for him later with money that is freed up.

And that money will have to be freed up. Not official numbers, but we're already projected to be right around the cap for 2014 ( http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Chargers&Year=2014 ). That will only change when guys like Meachem, Royal, Clary, etc. are purged from the roster, and why I'd like to see it happen sooner than later.

I'd also add Larry English to that list. The addition of Keiser could mean that he's fighting the UDFAs for his roster spot. I don't know anything about Keiser, but it seems like Panthers fans were surprised and disappointed to see him go. He could be a nice pickup, and combined with Freeney, give us the depth to get through the year.

And since they signed Freeney and Starks, I think we can safely say that they will sign older veterans depending on the situation. Who else might the Chargers go after? They get a $6M windfall when Gaither's contract, though some of that will go toward signing Fluker. I'd imagine that the cuts after that pay for contract extensions for players like Butler.

I still think that they add a NT, with Po'uha making the most sense. If they're going to keep running a 3-4 as the base defense, another NT will be needed. Right now we're looking at an UDFA backing up Cam Thomas, who is a question mark himself. Even if they use more 4-3 type looks or a strong nickel more often, I would think that adding another veteran DT will be necessary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: