Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is your least favorite second pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe there isn't a few more votes for Young. It is Young for me because the dude is a tool. At least most the others seemed to fail because they just seem to not have the talent.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
I can't believe there isn't a few more votes for Young. It is Young for me because the dude is a tool. At least most the others seemed to fail because they just seem to not have the talent.

He is up there for me, but it is easier to hide a mental disorder than lack of talent. Plus he actually played for a year and was productive. I judge our pick evaluation more on the talent assessed than the mental problems. Mayhew isn't a psychologist. I still am not a fan of that pick now, but I wasn't nearly as annoyed as I am with Dizon.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

He is up there for me, but it is easier to hide a mental disorder than lack of talent. Plus he actually played for a year and was productive. I judge our pick evaluation more on the talent assessed than the mental problems. Mayhew isn't a psychologist. I still am not a fan of that pick now, but I wasn't nearly as annoyed as I am with Dizon.

As mucked up as that poor kid is, as much interview time as they had with him, and the fact other teams were bright enough to stay away tells me there was a severe failure in the process somewhere.

Regardless of other factors, this kid was out of the league completely in 2 years with basically no hope of return and staring a prison sentence in the eye. To me that is the most severe case leaving any other factors out of it, just the flat worst pick.
DTOW

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Stanton 2. Dizon

Those two were beyond awful.

Not sure why Broyles is on the list. He showed that he can play in the league if he stays healthy. I have very high hopes that he can be a very productive slot receiver barring more injuries. Also, Kevin Jones had a few years when he was a darn good back. Never seemed the same after that nasty foot injury he had though.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

As mucked up as that poor kid is, as much interview time as they had with him, and the fact other teams were bright enough to stay away tells me there was a severe failure in the process somewhere.

Regardless of other factors, this kid was out of the league completely in 2 years with basically no hope of return and staring a prison sentence in the eye. To me that is the most severe case leaving any other factors out of it, just the flat worst pick.

We don't really know who would have stayed away. It's not like he was Lagarret Blount and every team passed on him at least 7 times. He was a slight reach give projected draft slot. Little was documented publicly anyways about his mental issues. Some was there, but you can hide it in a 20 minute interview at the combine. We didn't have much time with him, and didn't have professionals evaluate him. When he got here he was a model citizen. He joined Calvin and Safford in offseason workouts, seemed to be a hard worker..... Something made him snap and I highly doubt it was obvious or the potential was obvious during the draft process. Dizon lasted an extra year before being out of the league, yet never made a significant impact in any way, shape, or form. That's worse IMO.

Montana badboy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is sooooooo depressing, I'm leaving now. All I see when I look at this list is 0-16. Barf

[quote="LionsFTW"]I would throw my $1300 50 inch plasma in the garbage if we drafted Fairley.[quote]
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

We don't really know who would have stayed away. It's not like he was Lagarret Blount and every team passed on him at least 7 times. He was a slight reach give projected draft slot. Little was documented publicly anyways about his mental issues. Some was there, but you can hide it in a 20 minute interview at the combine. We didn't have much time with him, and didn't have professionals evaluate him. When he got here he was a model citizen. He joined Calvin and Safford in offseason workouts, seemed to be a hard worker..... Something made him snap and I highly doubt it was obvious or the potential was obvious during the draft process. Dizon lasted an extra year before being out of the league, yet never made a significant impact in any way, shape, or form. That's worse IMO.

I mean, I get it, I understand what you are saying. But Titus missed almost a full year in college for disciplinary reasons and other GMs said they stayed away from him for interview reasons, I truly think the signs were more than there.

And like I said, none of that even matters to me. The end result of how fast his decline was and how utterly worthless he is makes me select him even if there were no signs. At least the other guys tried and seemed to be decent human beings.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
I was going to have Drew as my least favorite, because I was most upset when we drafted him. However, Stanton defeated the Packers. That alone means he can't be in the top two on my list.

I guess . . . but the real reason we won that game is because the Lions knocked Aaron Rodgers out of the game and Matt Flynn was so bad he couldn't lead the Packers to more than 3 points.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
iLovetheLions

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
I was going to have Drew as my least favorite, because I was most upset when we drafted him. However, Stanton defeated the Packers. That alone means he can't be in the top two on my list.

I guess . . . but the real reason we won that game is because the Lions knocked Aaron Rodgers out of the game and Matt Flynn was so bad he couldn't lead the Packers to more than 3 points.

but...but... matt flynn is at worst a top 15 QB Rolling Eyes

Sllim Pickens wrote:
There should be a thread for UM fans and GB fans to sit and talk about how amazing their teams are with each other.
bennydagroin714

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Moparguy was correct back on page one. Devries was the third selection that year, Gibson was the second selection. Apologies.

Anyway, my least favorite guy on the list is Drew Stanton. Hands down, bottom line. I hated him as a quarterback at State. He turned into a crybaby whenever things started to get tough. If I had to make a comparison I'd say Stanton was a far less capable Jay Cutler. Like a little league pitcher who feels like the umpire is squeezing the strike zone. Like the girl in the office who cries because the boss yelled at her. Stop pouting and get to work. That's the guy we drafted to potentially be the quarterback of this team. With the other guys from the list, you can at least see some sort of logic behind the pick. With Stanton it was like, "Let's draft this crybaby puke. Maybe in the NFL he'll stop being a crybaby puke. And let's get him early. If we wait until the 4th round, like we should for a guy with his skill set, he could start making his pouty face and we don't want that."

Obviously, the worst part of the Stanton pick was that it was a wasted opportunity to get better. But nearly as bad was the fact that Sparty homers were all over this site trying to conjure up ways to get this waste of space some playing time. "He's awesome in the third quarter of preseason games, he'll probably be awesome against real NFL players if they would just give him the opportunity. He can't do any worse than whoever, just put him in there. Let's try some wildcat packages."

I hated the pick. I hated that he took up a roster spot for as long as he did. I hated that stupid dance he did in the endzone.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bennydagroin714 wrote:
First off, Moparguy was correct back on page one. Devries was the third selection that year, Gibson was the second selection. Apologies.

Anyway, my least favorite guy on the list is Drew Stanton. Hands down, bottom line. I hated him as a quarterback at State. He turned into a crybaby whenever things started to get tough. If I had to make a comparison I'd say Stanton was a far less capable Jay Cutler. Like a little league pitcher who feels like the umpire is squeezing the strike zone. Like the girl in the office who cries because the boss yelled at her. Stop pouting and get to work. That's the guy we drafted to potentially be the quarterback of this team. With the other guys from the list, you can at least see some sort of logic behind the pick. With Stanton it was like, "Let's draft this crybaby puke. Maybe in the NFL he'll stop being a crybaby puke. And let's get him early. If we wait until the 4th round, like we should for a guy with his skill set, he could start making his pouty face and we don't want that."

Obviously, the worst part of the Stanton pick was that it was a wasted opportunity to get better. But nearly as bad was the fact that Sparty homers were all over this site trying to conjure up ways to get this waste of space some playing time. "He's awesome in the third quarter of preseason games, he'll probably be awesome against real NFL players if they would just give him the opportunity. He can't do any worse than whoever, just put him in there. Let's try some wildcat packages."

I hated the pick. I hated that he took up a roster spot for as long as he did. I hated that stupid dance he did in the endzone.

This just feels like pure Sparty hatred. Stanton was a 1st round projected QB before the season and a 2nd round projected QB after his last season at MSU. He was drafted, about where he was projected. On top of that, he has enough talent to still be in the league as a #2 QB. Sounds like you hated the pick for a personal vendetta against him and not because it was the worst pick the Lions made.

Your reasoning that the biggest problem was it wasted a chance to get better, but you can say that about any of these guys. We passed up Ray Rice for Dizon. Dizon was a 7th round prospect that did absolutely nothing. He isn't in the league anymore while Stanton still is.

I get people not being a State fan, but that shouldn't be the main source of player evaluation and pick evaluation.

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
bennydagroin714 wrote:

This just feels like pure Sparty hatred. Stanton was a 1st round projected QB before the season and a 2nd round projected QB after his last season at MSU. He was drafted, about where he was projected. On top of that, he has enough talent to still be in the league as a #2 QB. Sounds like you hated the pick for a personal vendetta against him and not because it was the worst pick the Lions made.

Your reasoning that the biggest problem was it wasted a chance to get better, but you can say that about any of these guys. We passed up Ray Rice for Dizon. Dizon was a 7th round prospect that did absolutely nothing. He isn't in the league anymore while Stanton still is.

I get people not being a State fan, but that shouldn't be the main source of player evaluation and pick evaluation.

I didn't get the reasoning at all. Crybaby? The one year we had like 4 QBs go down wasn't he the one that toughed out a couple broken fingers to continue playing or something? Sure dont sound like a crybaby to me. He actually put his head down when running through a pile. One of the tougher QBs in recent memory.
bennydagroin714

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand if you guys have a different point of view on Stanton. I can especially understand if you are a Spartan fan. Lot's of MSU supporters loved the guy when he was in school.

I'm not going to ramble on all day trying to prove anyone wrong for defending the guy. I just remember really hating the pick on draft day. I started the thread for fun and I said I'd put my least favorite guy out there. I knew there would be plenty of heat to take for it.

At the same time, hindsight being 20/20, Dizon is a terrible selection. Especially given who they passed on. It just wasn't a pick that I disliked as much on draft day.
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pick is Dominic Raiola, and the reason why is because he's still on the team stinking up the field while we were at least smart enough to dump the rest of those scrubs. He's the worst Center to ever be a 10+ year starter. There are and have been worse Centers in the NFL but they didn't start for 10+ years, Raiola shouldn't have either. At least those other guys were gone after 2-3 years, he's been awful for 12 years, that's hurt the team worse IMO. I know I'm probably alone in that opinion but we've needed better offensive line play for years and he's been one of the biggest reasons why.

But, based on which Pick I hated the most on the day of the Draft and who were the most worthless players, I'd go with Dizon and then Stanton. Both were ridiculous Picks that didn't make sense to me and never had any chance of working out from Day 1.

Also want to give a shout out to Jared DeVries, another bum that the Lions hung onto way too long and actually gave playing time to despite the fact he was horrendous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: