Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Urlacher announces retirement on Twitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest disappointment in all this is that a player who gave as much as he did came so close to getting a Super Bowl ring and has to retire without one. He was a part of very good teams in 2001 and 2005, teams that should have gone to the playoffs in 2008, 2011, and 2012, a game away in 2010, and half a game away in 2006.
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad day if you're a Brian Urlacher fan. Didn't think this day would come so soon but I guess he finally realized that it was time to call it a career, and apparently so did the rest of the NFL.

As easy as it is to say the Bears should have done the right thing by just re-signing Urlacher to a short-term deal and let him leave on his own terms it was apparent that he was a liability out there on the field last season and was hurting the team more than helping it.

While it may not have been a popular decision within the locker room, I'm pretty confident that Phil Emery made the right choice to move in a different direction. Who knows though, maybe some unforeseen circumstance will allow Brian to return at some point next season for one last kick at the can.

If not then I bid Brian a happy farewell. I think I speak for most Bears fans when I say that he made Sundays so exciting and a pleasure to watch over his 13 year career. Respect.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoBears.com has a great gallery up with some classic Urlacher shots: http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/photo-gallery/Urlacher-Retires/5f0aef3f-e9b0-45ff-a576-0c9c2e05f7aa
ConVict90

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel honored to not only have been able to watch Urlacher on Sundays but share the same birthday as well! I love you 54 hope to see you apart of the Chicago coaching staff soon

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the outpouring of support and congratulations coming his way from all corners of the NFL speaks volumes as to how he was appreciated and respected by his peers which is the highest compliment a player can receive. His was the first Bears jersey I ever bought for myself (I have 3 of his now - one in each of navy, white and orange). Will always be one of my favorites, and it seems as though he's made peace with himself about moving on into the next phase of life.

Congrats 54, and many thanks.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Walshy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect. However, his retirement is tainted by the idiots saying he is overrated and doesnt deserve the Hall.... In my mind Urlacher is a top 15 LB of all time and I think that it's a close debate between Urlacher and Singletary.

Adopt-Bear:Jon Bostic Tackles: 56 INT:1 Sack:1
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a packers fan im not going to lie and say im sad to see him go. But as an NFL fan you hate to see great players like this not leave on their own terms, it's a damn shame IMO. He's in my eyes the best mike backer to ever play the game hands down. And will go down as one've the all time greats. Although i rooted against him he was a treat to watch, a real beast on sundays, the guys skill sets were off the charts. It's hard to find guys with that size and speed and athletic ability.

I'm just glad it didn't go down as nasty as the favre situation, i would've hate to see him end his career in purple like favre. But all things must come to an end, and i will truly miss the guys talent. although he was a bear i gotta give props and my respect to one helluve player. Goodluck to the bears staff trying to fill those big shoes. And goodluck on his post NFL career.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walshy wrote:
Respect. However, his retirement is tainted by the idiots saying he is overrated and doesnt deserve the Hall.... In my mind Urlacher is a top 15 LB of all time and I think that it's a close debate between Urlacher and Singletary.
Its not really much of a debate Lach was a much better player than Singletary.

He won't get in first ballot b/c of Ray Lewis retiring the same year, but Lach will get in eventually, and it will be sooner rather than later.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: