Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How would you prefer Dallas to handle their existing cap?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you prefer Dallas to handle their existing cap space?
Extend Sean Lee
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Extend Dez Bryant
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Extend both Lee and Bryant now
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Extend Anthony Spencer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Focus attention on coming cuts.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Save as much space as possible to rollover to '14
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: How would you prefer Dallas to handle their existing cap? Reply with quote

So I saw this on blogging the boys and i was curious what all of you thought. Many of us have discussed these things in the past, but i wonder how you guys feel now, and I want to see how the poll turns out in this forum.

Here is the article:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/5/19/4345914/cowboys-and-dead-presidents-should-dallas-extend-sean-lee-now-what

Its no secret that we have cap issues, and its also no secret that we have a lot of young stars that we will want to extend in coming years. Two of them have contracts expiring in the next couple years: Dez and Lee.

I also added another option to the poll from blogging the boys, because i know there are some out there that really want to see spencer get an extension. There is also an "other" option. If you select this please state what you would like us to do.

Quote:
So, in essence, Dallas now has about $6.3 million to spend however they like. There will be another $300-$500k in a few weeks. They can look for additional free agent help (especially after June 1st or during camp cuts), they can hold all of it in case they need to sign in-season free agents, they can roll the money over to the '14 cap or they can look to extend current players.

Quote:
This is the conundrum in which Dallas finds itself. Do they risk Lee playing a healthy, Pro Bowl season and thus driving his price up knowing that they have cap concerns? Or do they sign Lee to a long-term deal at a discounted rate, knowing he hasn't proven able to stay out of the trainer's room?

Quote:
The Cowboys once again run into the situation of trying to be ahead of the curve and locking up a player cheaper than what he could be worth, or allowing another season to play out and drive up the price. Have you seen what wideouts make? If Bryant improves on 92 catches, 12 touchdowns and almost 1400 yards? The average of the Top 5 receivers is around $13 million per season. Wouldn't it be prudent to get out in front of that?

Quote:
Dallas is in a precarious position. They clearly have the opportunity to lock up their future offensive and defensive leaders for the long-term, and in a year when they can get them cheaper than their potential values. It doesn't come without monumental risk, however. What would you do, if you were in the front office? Either, neither, or both?

EDIT: NOTABLE FREE AGENTS

Sean Lee
Anthony Spencer
Jason Hatcher

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith
Bruce Carter
DeMarco Murray
COLE BEASLEY!! Very Happy

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^

Last edited by Dboys88-82 on Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned it in another thread, but Bryant is under contract until 2015.

I would extend Lee now, I would imagine his cap number on a new deal would be very friendly given how oft-injured he has been. Then again, during the time he has been healthy he has shined, so it would be interesting to see what kind of contract he would be given.

I would then work on Bryant's contract next year.

^^^mack
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

I would extend Lee now, I would imagine his cap number on a new deal would be very friendly given how oft-injured he has been. Then again, during the time he has been healthy he has shined, so it would be interesting to see what kind of contract he would be given.

Yeah i know Dez's isnt up until next year. The article mentions though that many of the top receivers are making around 13 million a yr. If we could extend him now its possible we could get at least a small discount.

Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Yeah i know Dez's isnt up until next year. The article mentions though that many of the top receivers are making around 13 million a yr. If we could extend him now its possible we could get at least a small discount.

That's true. I certainly wouldn't be against extending both Bryant and Lee this season, just saying I think that's how I would budget our cap.

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I extend Lee before Pre-Season. Extend Dan Bailey midway through season.

At the start of the next season, Extend Dez in Training Camp & Carter. Extend Smith mid-way through the season.

I would not extend Murray.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

At the start of the next season, Extend Dez in Training Camp & Carter. Extend Smith mid-way through the season.

Even if he were to put together a full season?

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I mean, nothing is absolute. But he would need a magical season and then another for me to consider it. I don't view him as a once-in-a-lifetime RB. He's replaceable.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I mean, nothing is absolute. But he would need a magical season and then another for me to consider it. I don't view him as a once-in-a-lifetime RB. He's replaceable.

We have a lot of young talent we need to lock up. As of right now hes last on my list because of the injuries and the history of running backs as they get older.

Lee, Dez, Smith, and carter are all higher priority right now for me and i dont see that changing.

Conquest8089

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Jones will take care of both Sean Lee & Dez Bryant. Signing Spencer longterm is what cannot happen to allow these two moves.

The Franchise loves Lee. Mr. Jones loves Dez. Eventually, both will get taken care of. The good part about Dez's deal, it basically expires when the new TV money kicks in and the salary cap rises.
retrolock

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Mr. Jones will take care of both Sean Lee & Dez Bryant. Signing Spencer longterm is what cannot happen to allow these two moves.

The Franchise loves Lee. Mr. Jones loves Dez. Eventually, both will get taken care of. The good part about Dez's deal, it basically expires when the new TV money kicks in and the salary cap rises.

Excuse me for being OT but does this TV deal includes regular international broadcasts? Embarassed Damn NFL Game Pass is freaking expensive
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to choose other. I'd prefer that every year they wouldn't restructure every turd on the team. It's ok to restructure quality players that have a future with the team, but when you are restructuring guys that you are considering releasing, that's a bad thing.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Had to choose other. I'd prefer that every year they wouldn't restructure every turd on the team. It's ok to restructure quality players that have a future with the team, but when you are restructuring guys that you are considering releasing, that's a bad thing.

It's not just a bad thing. It's flat out stupid and irresponsible. Dumb decisions like that are what keep us mediocre because morons like Jerry convince themselves that they can't replace those players due to the restructured deals so the team never gets any better.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with other. Extend Bailey and the others can wait. Got plenty of time to get Dez squared away. Lee and Murray have to prove they can stay healthy for a season before I'm doing anything with them.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What numbers do you think Bailey would see with a contract extension? I think I read somewhere he's been the most accurate kicker over the last three seasons.

Right now, the highest paid kicker is Sebastian Janikowski ($3.8MM in 2013). Would anyone be against a 5 yr, $20MM ($4MM/yr) deal for BailMoney?

^^^mack
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
What numbers do you think Bailey would see with a contract extension? I think I read somewhere he's been the most accurate kicker over the last three seasons.

Right now, the highest paid kicker is Sebastian Janikowski ($3.8MM in 2013). Would anyone be against a 5 yr, $20MM ($4MM/yr) deal for BailMoney?

Top Kicker Salaries 2014

Wow. Had no idea kickers were up in the $3-4M dollar range. I was going to say 5yr/$10M for Bailey.
Tough call honestly. Love Bailey and Dallas has struggled finding a kicker, but damn, that's a lot of money for someone who sees the field 6 times a game.
Where in the is Steve Hoffman and the days of finding guys off the street for cheap?

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: