Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A.J. Jenkins: BFS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
Laughing the lack of confidence in Jenkins is astounding. I really can't believe it. If he continues to not make a name for himself during this season, THEN I'll question the pick. But until then, he's still an unknown and I reserve judgement.

When Mario and K-Dub went down, Moss became a full time starter and Crabs got a ton more looks and touches. There's no reason to give up Jenkins, yet...

It's mildly amusing, I'd say.. but yes, I agree with the wait-n-see approach to AJJ. If he shows us a good receiver, great. If not, fine.. whateverz. Not that big a deal for me.

___
o_0

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
Laughing the lack of confidence in Jenkins is astounding. I really can't believe it. If he continues to not make a name for himself during this season, THEN I'll question the pick. But until then, he's still an unknown and I reserve judgement.

When Mario and K-Dub went down, Moss became a full time starter and Crabs got a ton more looks and touches. There's no reason to give up Jenkins, yet...

It's mildly amusing, I'd say.. but yes, I agree with the wait-n-see approach to AJJ. If he shows us a good receiver, great. If not, fine.. whateverz. Not that big a deal for me.

Like I said, he could still surprise. I just don't personally see it. I didn't like the pick at the time, and I like it even less a year later.

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_0 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:

Like I said, he could still surprise. I just don't personally see it. I didn't like the pick at the time, and I like it even less a year later.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. I had AJJ as a 3rd rd prospect. As far as "not personally seeing it"... unless we are getting up close looks at him, I'm not sure there's really much to see to make any real assessments.

___
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans are too fickle. Every rookie isn't going to hit the ground running. This is the same fanbase that slam VD and Crabs early in their careers for not producing and now that both have 'arrived', those same fans sing their praises. I understand most fans expect instant gratification but the process is different for different players.

What I don't understand is when fans use the "based on what I've seen so far" line of thinking. What excatly have you seen? His ONE target last year sure paints a pretty big picture, huh? You can't base anything on his lack of production because like I said, he had a grand total of one target. He was a package specific player. He mainly played in our 3-WR set, which we ran the least of any team in the NFL. When MM and K-10 went down, we just incoperate VD and Walker more lined up out wide...becuase it just makes more sense than using a rookie who was clearly not ready. We have had two supremely athletic TEs with WR speed, so why wouldn't we just incoperated them more when 2 of your top 4 WRs go down with injury? That's a luxury we could afford. It wasn't like Jenkins got a ton of snaps and still didn't produce. His time on the field was extremely limited. He wasn't ready for a ton of snaps because he didn't know the offense well enough so his role and snaps, were limited. I don't know if that inspires a 'I've already given up on him' outlook as much as it should inspire a 'wait and see' approach.

I understand not having a single catch would cause concern and some rumblings among the fanbase. But he was 6th on the depth chart the moment he was drafted. I wasn't shocked at all he didn't managed to move up our WR ranks because he had four very talented WRs ahead of him and one solid vet . I dont think ppl realize how much talent we had last year at WR. A 34 year old Moss is still better than most WRs in the league and one of the best 3rd string WR you could find. K-10 is no slouch and made plays when he got the opportunity. As a 4th WR, he made his fair share of plays, considering his targets. Even Ginn as a 5th WR isn't a bad look for any offense. If we were a offense that utilized mutiple WR sets more, people would understand its really the scheme, not the personnel that limits WR production in our offense. Its the main reason Moss didn't want to re-sign here....he wanted more opportunities.

So in reality, all anybody can go on is pre-season and granted Jenkins wasn't earth-shattering in his first pre-season, but it wasn't like he looked bad either. He had some catches, made some plays but it is pre-season so you kind of have to take any positive or negative, with a grain of salt. Another element I don't think ppl take into consideration is that Jenkins was a slow starter in college as well. Some guys just take little longer for that light to cut on.

Last edited by 757-NINER on Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 am; edited 3 times in total
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think he does much again this season. we have a lot of guys there in front of him, so it will be hard to get more pt

i see him having a kub like impact. then next year, i think he starts to "breakout"(not huge breakout but be our starting slot)

new sig... sorry alex
Clark87

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ has not been on the field enough for me to judge him. If he didnt get playing time last season because he just wasnt ready then fine. How many reps did he get with Alex and how many with Kaepernick? This offseason he has been working with Kap. Lets hope they are building a chemistry . I like what his teammates have said so far about him. Im looking forward to seeing what he can do with a Kap under center for an entire season. Kap made Crabtree better once Alex was benched. Lets hope he makes AJ more produtice.
Clark87

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ has not been on the field enough for me to judge him. If he didnt get playing time last season because he just wasnt ready then fine. How many reps did he get with Alex and how many with Kaepernick? This offseason he has been working with Kap. Lets hope they are building a chemistry . I like what his teammates have said so far about him. Im looking forward to seeing what he can do with a Kap under center for an entire season. Kap made Crabtree better once Alex was benched. Lets hope he makes AJ more produtice.
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked what I saw from him during the preseason last year. Hes going to be a very solid WR in the NFL. just give him time. Q and Crabs are going to eat up a lot of the PT so it will be interesting to see how much time he gets. At some point you have to throw him into the fire and hope he doesnt melt.

If you look at his college stats, his catches and yards basically went up every year he was at school.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/aj-jenkins-1.html

this makes me feel a lot better about him not having a catch last year, as it clearly took him some time to acclimated to college ball but once he grew into himself as a player he did very well. I expect a similar transition in the pros. He might not set the world on fire this year, but you can expect him to take some steps forward. I have seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

He is a good route runner with good hands... what is not to like?

The only gripe I have with the pick is that we came so close to winning the SB. One player could have put us over the top. Sure, Jenkins should turn out to be a nice pick in the future but I cant help but wonder if one more DLman or role player somewhere wouldnt have been the difference in that game. I dont know who this player is, and it doesnt matter. we came up short for whatever reason. If we knew then what we know now, would baalke still have drafted him? Im not sure. but you cant make decisions in hindsight. I dont hate the pick by any means, jenkins will be good, its just going to take time

He seems like a great fit for Kaeps offense. good strong hands, quick, good at finding holes in zones when plays get extended... I cant help but think he is going to be a much better version of Arnaz Battle, who was one of the most solid WRs we have had in my lifetime. That man could do everything well and was insanely clutch on 3rd down. crabs has nothing on battle on 3rd down Laughing Laughing

If someone could find the Razzle Dazzle Arnaz Battle video I would be extremely grateful. Or just any highlights of his really, they arent really on youtube i dont think

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
o_0 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:

Yeah, I didn't like it either. I had AJJ as a 3rd rd prospect. As far as "not personally seeing it"... unless we are getting up close looks at him, I'm not sure there's really much to see to make any real assessments.

yeah the sample size is way too small to make any judgement either way. But I see the potential to be a VERY GOOD nfl wr. He is never going to be fitz, CJ, or julio jones but he could very well be a torry holt or a tougher version of chad johnson for that two year span when he was actually good lol

Just because he doesnt have "elite" size doesnt mean he doesnt have the potential to be a number one WR. I would rather have someone with his hands and route running ability over a guy like Stephen Hill who is tall and fast but drops a lot of easy passes (albeit jenkins dropped an easy pass on his only target). Hands are the most important quality for 49ER Wrs from this point forward. We need guys who can handle the fastballs... jenkins has great hands.

FOREVER FAITHFUL
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bold prediction: AJ Jenkins will have more receptions in 2013 than 2012.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Bold prediction: AJ Jenkins will have more receptions in 2013 than 2012.

Idono I got the under...sig bet?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Fans are too fickle. Every rookie isn't going to hit the ground running. This is the same fanbase that slam VD and Crabs early in their careers for not producing and now that both have 'arrived', those same fans sing their praises. I understand most fans expect instant gratification but the process is different.

Not really. You might have a point with Davis, but Crabtree showed a lot of potential and promise throughout his rookie year. And back then, we had absolutely no offense, no QB play, no protection, and idiot OCs. Jenkins couldn't even get on the field with our WR core decimated with injuries, and that's with great QB play and excellent coaching.

BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
o_0

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
yeah the sample size is way too small to make any judgement either way. But I see the potential to be a VERY GOOD nfl wr. He is never going to be fitz, CJ, or julio jones but he could very well be a torry holt or a tougher version of chad johnson for that two year span when he was actually good lol

Um dude Torry Holt was definitely elite. And if Jenkins ever becomes even close to the player Holt was, I'll be more then happy.

BP wrote:
Forge

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I agree that its a little too early to give up on Jenkins unless he shows absolutely nothing during the preseason and training camp and Lockette is an absolute stud. Then I think the niners have a decision to make. I didn't like the pick last year, and after a year, I still don't like it and think he will be a bust. But I definitely think he deserves to chance to prove me wrong. I don't know how long you give him though; even though I wouldn't expect him to be one of our top 3 receivers this year, I don't think he can get away with being 6th. He needs to outperform Lockette, Patton, and maybe even Williams in TC and preseason or I think Harbaugh and Baalke will have to take a long look at his future on the team.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_0 wrote:
NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:

Um dude Torry Holt was definitely elite. And if Jenkins ever becomes even close to the player Holt was, I'll be more then happy.

I think you missed the point I was making... Holt was a different type of wr than those three listed. They use their size speed and strength to get open while Holt got by on great route running and quickness.

Holt was elite but he didn't have elite size or strength, jenkins doesnt either which seems to me the only reasons that people like you don't think Jenkins will have a chance to be good. When in reality there are more important attributes to good NFL wrs ... like route running and hands... Holt had them, which is why he was so good for so long

FOREVER FAITHFUL
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: