Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Old Dogs, New Tricks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andjordand

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Old Dogs, New Tricks Reply with quote

Who do you have more faith in handling a starting role after playing past seasons as perennial backups and special teamers?

Ashlee Palmer

Corey Hilliard

Dylan Gandy
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Palmer will be like a Larry Foote, who excelled at the LOS but struggled in coverage. That's where the upgrade in safety play factors in.

Hilliard I believe can be a serviceable RT, but he was mistake prone a couple years ago and I'm hoping Fox can beat him out, who should be the superior pass protector. But if Hilliard could cut down on his mistakes, IIRC he appeared to bring much more in the running game than Goz could.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Palmer. I think it's easier to hide a poor LB on the field than it is a RT or C/G so he gets my vote just based on position.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even sure why Gandy is on this list. There should be zero chance of him starting. The only way he does is if Warford sucks and I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.

I would be more comfortable with Palmer than Hilliard. Both are a downgrade from the player there last year but Palmer is closer to Durant than Hilliard was Goz IMO. Plus if a LB misses on a play it usually doesn't have the lasting effects of letting Bush or Stafford get destroyed.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order you listed them is how I would, in terms of how confident I am in them.

We've seen Palmer step in and do well; more so against the run. And while I would love to see him develop into a good starter, I am kinda hopeful that Whitehead justifies what we gave up for him.

Hilliard did solid when Gosder was benched a couple times.

Wouldnt expect much from Gandy.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
andjordand

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of Gandy at C, in case Raiola's game goes over the waterfall like Jeff Saturday in GB last year. I like him the best out of the 3, to be quite honest. Palmer and Hilliard face more direct competition from whitehead and Fox than Gandy faces from Nagy, were Raiola to be out of the way.

Promising articles about Fox and Whitehead here: http://www.freep.com/article/20130514/SPORTS01/305140071/detroit-lions-jason-fox-corey-hilliard

And here:
http://prod.www.lions.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/Second-year-pro-Tahir-Whitehead-also-in-the-mix-for-a-starting-spot/9c7d0da0-7550-47e5-a358-f6dd89747347
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
I was thinking of Gandy at C, in case Raiola's game goes over the waterfall like Jeff Saturday in GB last year. I like him the best out of the 3, to be quite honest. Palmer and Hilliard face more direct competition from whitehead and Fox than Gandy faces from Nagy, were Raiola to be out of the way.

Promising articles about Fox and Whitehead here: http://www.freep.com/article/20130514/SPORTS01/305140071/detroit-lions-jason-fox-corey-hilliard

And here:
http://prod.www.lions.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/Second-year-pro-Tahir-Whitehead-also-in-the-mix-for-a-starting-spot/9c7d0da0-7550-47e5-a358-f6dd89747347

I would feel more comfortable with Nagy than Gandy to be honest. I've never really understood how Gandy is still on our roster. He is a legit backup at best, and wouldn't expect more from him. The other two have legit shots at starting. Their competition with Fox and Whitehead are for starting spots while Gandy is battling for a backup spot with Nagy. As much as most of us despise Raiola, he is still a capable starter with deficiencies in his game. But a starter none the less. I would expect a year like Saturday had last year is more due to change of scenery and scheme. It's a lot easier to run things when Manning is telling you what to do.

Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:

And here:

After reading the caption in the first one, I sort of want to creep through Northville on Fridays and wash cars or something.

MrLionzz

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox is someone I would love to see flourish but as for Palmer I really like his intensity and heart. I also wouldn't mind seeing one of the young guns take the starting LB spot. As for the O line what ever helps us have a solid running game to compliment our passing game would be great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: