Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why don't NFL teams have a Minor League system? (Redskins)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizzy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
I wouldn't watch this. NCAA and NFL is enough. I'm sure most of America agrees with me and therein lies this issue.

Exactly, cause how often did you or do you watch a CFL game, a USFL game or even a World League/NFL Europe game.

NFL Europe, sure when it came out but lost interest quickly.

The other two are just not that interesting to me.

Arena Football doesnt make a heck of a lot of sense.

So if its not American Rules Football, played in college and NFL, then I don't think that I would watch it.

I don't think I would watch the league as a whole but I would watch my team. Now I say this liking the Capitals but having never watched a single Hershey Bears game so maybe it is wishful thinking on my part(Although I like the Redskins a lot more than the Capitals). If this is a team thing and games are local and the league started a few months before the season say mid may-Early June I would prob watch a lot more of it and would go go games. Would be perfect for your rookies and especially undrafted rookies.
NHL-Capitals
MosEisley

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don't NFL teams have a Minor League system? (Redskin Reply with quote

[quote=(Instead, injured players usually have to play because of the limited roster, thus injuring themselves further)[/quote]
Simple solution to the injury angle is to expand gameday rosters to 48 from 43. Don't know why they haven't done this. Also expand rosters to 56.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
Woz wrote:
WLAF originally was it's own entity. However, the NFL took it over somewhere along the line and basically used it as a spring league for some of its players plus European ones.

The main reason that they don't have a formal minor league is probably two fold:
1. As SeanTayorsaPIMP mentioned, running a football team is expensive. It's nearly impossible to get anywhere close to breaking even, so the owners would have to agree to run the league at a loss. They did this with NFL Europe/Europa for awhile, but they grew tired of throwing the money away for a couple of decent players.

2. They don't want to tick off their unofficial minor league: the NCAA. If the NFL stood up a true minor league, it would essentially be competing with college football. Since they have an organization that is willing to handle all of the costs themselves, why rock the boat?

To reason 1... I'm pretty sure people like Daniel Snyder can afford to run an additional football team. NFL owners are some rich people.

Generally speaking, rich people became rich by not throwing money at losing propositions.

Quote:
To reason 2... That's just ridiculous to me. First off, how is the NCAA anything like a minor league to the NFL? It's college players. They aren't getting paid (yet).

Yup, which means the NFL doesn't have to spend a dime on their development, but can watch them for three years to see how they do.

Quote:
They can only remain for a maximum of 4 years (well, 5 if you count redshirts). Players occasionally spend their whole careers in the minors in baseball.

Given that most players never see a second contract, why would the NFL owners want to invest in players who will never help their team?

Quote:
Anyway, I don't see how a minor league would be challenging NCAA football in the least. Unless they both play on Saturdays, I don't see it as even close to a major concern.

What if the NFL actually started a minor league system? Let's say it paid its players $30-40K a year. Are you telling me that that some college players wouldn't look at that and think, "Hmm, I can go focus on football and get paid to do it, or I can go to college where if I am limited in my practice and playing time, and play in a violent sport for free?"

Since you have to figure that the minor league also would have up-and-coming coaches, wouldn't some players bypass college altogether and play in the minors to get a shot of getting into the "majors?" It happens in baseball now.

Quote:
Also, what could the NCAA truly say/do if the NFL created a minor league? Have Mark Emmert (president of the NCAA) say "We don't like you anymore, NFL!" or something like that? Laughing That's just silly.

Well, in light of the O'Bannon case, people have thrown around the idea of doing away with scholarship football altogether. Now, that's mostly scare tactics to try and influence the media and justice system to avoid granting O'Bannon class action status, but if there was a minor league to go to? Might that tip the balance for the NCAA?
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
To Reason 2: The NFL already has a stipulation for players coming into the league that they must have a minimum of 3 years eligibility played before they can enter the NFL draft.

Actually, the stipulation is that they must be three years removed from their high school graduation. Should the NFL actually want to create their own minor league (again, needing to either create 32 teams plus stadiums, staffs, training facilities ... or band together to make a smaller league with players from other teams, and then dealing with how you would elevate players while not harming other teams prospects), they could pick their kids up for three years before they are eligible.

However, they wouldn't need to draft the players since they'd already own their rights.
Brian23

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a whole lot of problems with a Minor League team, the big one being money. There's also the problem in Football, that you don't deal with as much in sports like Hockey and Basketball, is that the game isn't organic. You'd have to have signed the ENTIRETY of your Minor League team because every play is basically set (on offense) and that is you're game plan, you wouldn't let people not on your team know those plays because what's to stop your rival from signing that player for a few days to get your whole playbook?

The other big reason is just how physical Football is. You may have a great RB prospect on your Minor League team who can't get time because of everyone above him, so instead you end up having to run him into the ground in your minor league team. The miles put on a body playing any brand of football is harsh, you'd be hurting more talent then you'd be helping to be honest.

So its Money, Physicality, and just the style of the game. It just doesn't lend itself to a minor team type environment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: