Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade the 49ers 2013 draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
FWIW there's a thread in the NFL Draft forum discussing the biggest steals in the draft.

Numerous posters have stated the following as steals: Carradine, Patton, Lattimore, and Lemonier. These are all stated by non-49er fans too. In other threads, Vance McDonald is well regarded too, but not a huge steal or reach. All our other picks from rounds 5-7 and UDFA aren't talked about.

OTOH, the consensus in other threads is that Eric Reid was a reach.

This all means little to nothing once the games start..just FWIW.
A lot of Reid bashing because of the trade up but the fact is, if we used our first on Carradine and our second on Reid, the very same people would be saying Reid was a good selection. End the end, we got both of them which is all that really matters. The rest is just premature post draft over analysis. (Then again, what in the hell else are we going to talk about for the next three loooong months? Phonetics?) Wink

But that's not the option people are griping about. how about reid, or Cyprien or elam at 31 and we keep that extra thrid? In the end my guess is that we thought Reid was better than those other two because if we liked all 3 of them equally well we might have waited a bit longer. We'll see if the scouting department got this one right.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
FWIW there's a thread in the NFL Draft forum discussing the biggest steals in the draft.

Numerous posters have stated the following as steals: Carradine, Patton, Lattimore, and Lemonier. These are all stated by non-49er fans too. In other threads, Vance McDonald is well regarded too, but not a huge steal or reach. All our other picks from rounds 5-7 and UDFA aren't talked about.

A lot of Reid bashing because of the trade up but the fact is, if we used our first on Carradine and our second on Reid, the very same people would be saying Reid was a good selection. End the end, we got both of them which is all that really matters. The rest is just premature post draft over analysis. (Then again, what in the hell else are we going to talk about for the next three loooong months? Phonetics?) Wink

Nice. That's a great way to look at this... so simple... yet I didn't think of it like this till now.

( not that I had any real issue with what we did in the first place )

As for what the masses think in the Draft Forum? Laughing ...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Psychlone wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

Nice. That's a great way to look at this... so simple... yet I didn't think of it like this till now.

( not that I had any real issue with what we did in the first place )

As for what the masses think in the Draft Forum? Laughing ...

lol, it's funny, I hadn't thought of it this way either...so simple, yet unbelievably true. People would have viewed the "value" of our draft very differently. Which i find funny because even though I have not been the biggest supporter of reid, I am almost positive that he would not have been there at 31. The Giants and Bengals (especially the latter) both really liked Reid, and for all we know the Rams could have rated Reid higher than Ogletree and had a need at safety. The Ravens could have jumped up two or three spots and taken Reid rather than elam if that was there preference. Obviously, we felt Tank would still be available at 34...and then at 40.

the masses in the draft forum can think what they want; all i know is that 5 out of the last 10 first round picks we have made have made the pro-bowl, and Anthony Davis is a probowl right tackle in everything but actual title. 60% pro-bowl caliber selection rate is pretty good, regardless of how they all think about our draft.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember a day or two before the draft, I continued to hear some talking heads on the TV saying "Eric Reid in the first rd, blah, blah, blah".. and I just nodded my head thinking, "yeah, he probably will be a first rounder in the 18-32 range"... but I refused to suddenly move him from my #38 BB spot.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine, who is a Cowboys fan, is still really ticked off about the trade. He thinks his team should have gotten more for that trade down and I am just glad our team was savvy enough not to give up any more than that. It was definitely a bargain price for moving up 13 spots in the 1st round. We only moved down 8 spaces in the 2nd and managed to get a 3rd round pick for that! Cool
Forge

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
A friend of mine, who is a Cowboys fan, is still really ticked off about the trade. He thinks his team should have gotten more for that trade down and I am just glad our team was savvy enough not to give up any more than that. It was definitely a bargain price for moving up 13 spots in the 1st round. We only moved down 8 spaces in the 2nd and managed to get a 3rd round pick for that! Cool

I really thought Baalke did a fantastic job of navigating the trades he conducted during the draft. The trade up to 18 was incredible value in my opinion; yes, i would have liked to have had that 3rd rounder when prospects started falling, but lets be honest, prospects fall in every draft and we are always going to feel that way. Whenever we traded up, I felt we gave up minimal value, including the two trades with Green Bay, and when we moved down, I thought we got a ton of value for moving down 6 spots in the second round with Tennessee.

I know a lot of people wanted us to accrue more picks for next year, but honestly, we are probably already looking at having 12 picks in next years draft as well; I don't think adding more would have been super beneficial. If we have 12 going into next year, I definitely would want to flip some of those for picks the following year.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
iwentundrafted

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation 4m
Good to hear! @NFLPA #RookiePremiere RT @justRVB Between Quinton Patton and Vance McDonald, the 49ers won the draft on charisma.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted keenan allen during the draft and couldnt believe he was there in the third. now hes showing that although he doesnt have the height weight speed, he can ball

he was picked right where our pick was that we gave to dallas. i love reid, just wish their was a way we could have grabbed him. we always have issues at wr. i would have rather had him than mcdonald, but we knew we need somebody at te. we still had crabs and boldin at the time.

rivers has him looking great out there

new sig... sorry alex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: