Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A look at the 2013 Rookie Class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catamount

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: A look at the 2013 Rookie Class Reply with quote

We entered the offseason $16 million over the cap with only 5 draft picks, 3 of them on day three of the draft. While we do not have superstars at every position, I like what Gettlemen has done. The draft and the signing of undrafted free agents is very interesting because these players were great values--no reaches. In addition, we found 2-3 undrafted free agents who could make the roster. That is something rare for the Panthers.

Lotulelei: Obviiously,, but his impact might not be as profound as some expect. he will rotate, probably with Cole or Fua, ad he will be a rookie. Do not expect miracles, but we will see improvement at NT.

Short: Again, Short will rotate and he too will learn. The 3 technique DT will be upgraded, but not tremendously. Dwan played tIhere last year and had his best year ever. Short will improve the run support and the consistency of the pass rush. It takes time at DT, so we will see a lot of Edwards, especially early on. Short is not a one-trick pony, so expect to see his time increase.

Kugbila: The closer we get to the season, the more it looks (to me) that Kugbila will be expected to take over the starting role sooner than I hoped. I think the success of the Panthers has a lot to do with a fourth round draft pick from Valdosta State. They think they found a gem in Kugbila, so we shall see. If Kugbila is the real deal and Silatolu continues his climb, expect the guards from DII schools to have a huge imoact on the Heisman winning QBs' season.

Klein: With TD and Beason's injury history, do not be surprised to see this versatille LB starting at some point. Even if he does not, Klein will rotate in with Beason on occasion and play most of the special teams. To find a LB with starter upside who can play all 3 LB positions in the fifth round was stealing.

Barner: With DWill reducing his gift from Marty Hurney, you would think Barner's reps (if any) would be reduced. I think Stewart is the only person who loses reps to DW. Barner increases the playbook. As it took a while to figure out how to use Tolbert, the Panthers will gradually find plays made for Barner.

Lester: Even though he went undrafted, Lester could be one of two rookies to start from day 1 in 2013. He has to beat out DJ Campbell, a special teamer who was drafted in last year's seventh round, and Mitchell, a rather one-dimensional Chris Harris clone. Lester has his limitations, but he could be the best SS we have come September.

White: Do not expect this DB from Louiisiana Lafayette to step in immediately, but White has all the makings of a free safety. If he has a good camp, he could compete for a roster spot behind Godfrey. They have him at CB now, but 4.62 speed on a six footer needs consideration at S. Can he beat out Nakamura? I thiink so.

Gaydosh: This DT from Canada is interesting because he is powerful, fast, and has a low center of gravity. In College, he played DE and NT, but seemed best at the Nose. This versatiilty could earn him a roster spot as a fifth DT who can play either the under tackle or nose. He would need to beat out three of the following: Cole or Fua, but since he was the #1 pick in Canada, I am not sure he would take a PS offer. He makes the roster and Chandler goes to the PS.

Any additions to this list? Any deletions? This is basically for off-season conversation only, but the more I think about it, the more I like what we have done.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A look at the 2013 Rookie Class Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
We entered the offseason $16 million over the cap with only 5 draft picks, 3 of them on day three of the draft. While we do not have superstars at every position, I like what Gettlemen has done. The draft and the signing of undrafted free agents is very interesting because these players were great values--no reaches. In addition, we found 2-3 undrafted free agents who could make the roster. That is something rare for the Panthers.

Lotulelei: Obviiously,, but his impact might not be as profound as some expect. he will rotate, probably with Cole or Fua, ad he will be a rookie. Do not expect miracles, but we will see improvement at NT.

Short: Again, Short will rotate and he too will learn. The 3 technique DT will be upgraded, but not tremendously. Dwan played tIhere last year and had his best year ever. Short will improve the run support and the consistency of the pass rush. It takes time at DT, so we will see a lot of Edwards, especially early on. Short is not a one-trick pony, so expect to see his time increase.

Kugbila: The closer we get to the season, the more it looks (to me) that Kugbila will be expected to take over the starting role sooner than I hoped. I think the success of the Panthers has a lot to do with a fourth round draft pick from Valdosta State. They think they found a gem in Kugbila, so we shall see. If Kugbila is the real deal and Silatolu continues his climb, expect the guards from DII schools to have a huge imoact on the Heisman winning QBs' season.

Klein: With TD and Beason's injury history, do not be surprised to see this versatille LB starting at some point. Even if he does not, Klein will rotate in with Beason on occasion and play most of the special teams. To find a LB with starter upside who can play all 3 LB positions in the fifth round was stealing.

Barner: With DWill reducing his gift from Marty Hurney, you would think Barner's reps (if any) would be reduced. I think Stewart is the only person who loses reps to DW. Barner increases the playbook. As it took a while to figure out how to use Tolbert, the Panthers will gradually find plays made for Barner.

Lester: Even though he went undrafted, Lester could be one of two rookies to start from day 1 in 2013. He has to beat out DJ Campbell, a special teamer who was drafted in last year's seventh round, and Mitchell, a rather one-dimensional Chris Harris clone. Lester has his limitations, but he could be the best SS we have come September.

White: Do not expect this DB from Louiisiana Lafayette to step in immediately, but White has all the makings of a free safety. If he has a good camp, he could compete for a roster spot behind Godfrey. They have him at CB now, but 4.62 speed on a six footer needs consideration at S. Can he beat out Nakamura? I thiink so.

Gaydosh: This DT from Canada is interesting because he is powerful, fast, and has a low center of gravity. In College, he played DE and NT, but seemed best at the Nose. This versatiilty could earn him a roster spot as a fifth DT who can play either the under tackle or nose. He would need to beat out three of the following: Cole or Fua, but since he was the #1 pick in Canada, I am not sure he would take a PS offer. He makes the roster and Chandler goes to the PS.

Any additions to this list? Any deletions? This is basically for off-season conversation only, but the more I think about it, the more I like what we have done.

I slightly disagree with this. I feel with DWill and Stew going into the season restructured, they will be our primary backs and I believe Barner will be purely for depth if either one goes down. Barner will get touches here and there but I don't believe he will be a key in our offense.
Other than that very good write up, I agree with most of your points especially on Lester.
boondock

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few comments.

I agree with you on Lotulelei and Short. Not expecting a full turn around, but will expect to see better play and moments that give us hope for the future.

Kugbila will not start this year and probably will not be active unless Hangman goes down. He's a project, everyone knows it. I give them a year to refine him unless he comes a long long way in the next 3 months.

Agree with Klein, I believe they are looking for a Beason or Davis replacement because I think Kleins skills fit better at SLB where Davis will be playing. The reason he was in the 5th round was due to him not having as high a ceiling as other players draft before him. I think Klein, at worst, could be James Anderson 2.0.

Barner was more or less a backup plan if they could not get Williams to lower his contract. Ultimately he should end up somewhere between Darren Sproles and Mike Goodson.

You are pretty spot on with the UDFA situation as well. I think Lester is better than Campbell coming out now and could probably contribute but just does not have a high ceiling outside of how he is now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: