Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Just a quick question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vonpolean

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Just a quick question? Reply with quote

If Xavier Rhodes Sylvester Williams and Datone Jones were all on the board at 28 who do you believe Elway would have selected? Considering these were the three names mentioned most after the draft.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard Xavier Rhodes was the likely pick, the Jones, then Sly, and that possibly we'd have traded down or taken Ogletree had Sly not fallen.
howie102

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
From what I've heard Xavier Rhodes was the likely pick, the Jones, then Sly, and that possibly we'd have traded down or taken Ogletree had Sly not fallen.

What have you heard?

And Ogletree? To serve what purpose exactly?
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

+1

I am not willing to search the internet for sources again, but at least the Rhodes/Jones/Sly part came straight from Elway at a presser right after the first round. The Ogletree bit was mentioned in relation to a possible Rams trade up if I remember correctly. They knew we were having 1st round grades on him.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howie102 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

What have you heard?

Apparently the first hope for the draft was to find the next Champ Bailey. Seemingly we wanted to grab a "faller" at 28, with Alec Ogletree as the backup if we couldn't trade down and no one fell(Seemingly Alec Ogletree was flown into Denver the night before the draft)

When we were a few picks away the 3 guys that were seen to be "steals" were Sylvester Williams, Datone Jones and Xavier Rhodes but Rhodes was the preferred choice as Elway saw it as the top priority.
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
howie102 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

What have you heard?

Apparently the first hope for the draft was to find the next Champ Bailey. Seemingly we wanted to grab a "faller" at 28, with Alec Ogletree as the backup if we couldn't trade down and no one fell(Seemingly Alec Ogletree was flown into Denver the night before the draft)

When we were a few picks away the 3 guys that were seen to be "steals" were Sylvester Williams, Datone Jones and Xavier Rhodes but Rhodes was the preferred choice as Elway saw it as the top priority.
This sounds like a bunch of speculation to me. Elway never mentioned difinitively who their #1 target was and certyainly never mentined ogletree in any interviews I have seen or heard prior to or following the draft.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is right.

The general thought was that Rhodes and Datone Jones were high on the list, but they were gone and we had Sly pegged to go a bit higher, and when he was available, we drafted him.

Ogletree was brought in the day before the draft and per an article on SI about the Rams draft, they had reason to believe we would take Ogletree

Thanks, Tzimisce
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No secret about who the three were. Elway was quite upfront about it. How he had those three rated is total speculation. I'd think Sly, Rhodes then Jones would have been a likely order but hey, it's just speculation.
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Paul is right.

The general thought was that Rhodes and Datone Jones were high on the list, but they were gone and we had Sly pegged to go a bit higher, and when he was available, we drafted him.

Ogletree was brought in the day before the draft and per an article on SI about the Rams draft, they had reason to believe we would take Ogletree
I don't think Elway seriously considered Ogletree. It goes against the grain as far as character is concerned. Wasn't aware they brought him in at all.
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
No secret about who the three were. Elway was quite upfront about it. How he had those three rated is total speculation. I'd think Sly, Rhodes then Jones would have been a likely order but hey, it's just speculation.

I'd think this would be the order as well. Lot of people had Sly as a top 20 pick. Some even suggested hed be the first DT taken, I think he's the #2 behind Star.

Rhodes wouldnt be a week one starter, which is wanted out of Elway/Fox picks. Also, the next Champ is already on our roster, his name is Chris Harris.

Jones just did not have the production you would like to see from an edge rusher you take in the first round. The cbs sports player comparison of him to Ayers is spot on, I see him being a versatile run stopper, doubt he'll ever be anything as a pass rusher.

Ogletree may have been in the mix, his character had to have hurt him. Ogletree was likely brought in the day before as due diligence. The AFC may come down to us and the Pats the next couple years, and Ogletree was better vs tight ends than anyone in this draft, and better at covering TE like Gronk or Hernandez than anyone currently on our roster. That alone is likely what would put Ogletree in the conversation.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

I'd think this would be the order as well. Lot of people had Sly as a top 20 pick. Some even suggested hed be the first DT taken, I think he's the #2 behind Star.

Rhodes wouldnt be a week one starter, which is wanted out of Elway/Fox picks. Also, the next Champ is already on our roster, his name is Chris Harris.

Jones just did not have the production you would like to see from an edge rusher you take in the first round. The cbs sports player comparison of him to Ayers is spot on, I see him being a versatile run stopper, doubt he'll ever be anything as a pass rusher.

Ogletree may have been in the mix, his character had to have hurt him. Ogletree was likely brought in the day before as due diligence. The AFC may come down to us and the Pats the next couple years, and Ogletree was better vs tight ends than anyone in this draft, and better at covering TE like Gronk or Hernandez than anyone currently on our roster. That alone is likely what would put Ogletree in the conversation.
Jones does remind me of Ayers but I think he uses his hands better. Also is Sly gonna be a day one starter?

Props to Jamison on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: