Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sanchez, Geno, Garrard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
I watched a ton of video on this years QB class, and while i'll admit this wasn't the best class ever, I honestly thought Geno was the best at going through his progressions when he HAD to. Obviously on a bubble screen or a tap pass you never get that opportunity, but when they dropped him back he often got to his second or third option.... true story.

But it's also true that he did it against Big 12 defenses with NFL talent at his WR positions.

I still see it as a good move getting him where they did, but every prospect comes with concerns.

- Cliff Burton
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:

The whole playmaker thing is mostly a comparison of YAC. Geno would get these guys the ball within 5 yards of the LOS and end up with 400 passing yards and 5 TDs. Or the famous "tap pass" which is basically a hand off that counts as passing yards.

True, but it was also an offense that required more than 1 read generally. It was a more complicated offense than, say, what Kaepernick or even Cam Newton ran. It wasn't a complex offense per se, but he had to make a couple of reads and find the mismatch, and he had to do it pre-snap or on a quick drop. So the transition to the west coast offense the Jets will run won't be that drastic.

Concerns about him are legit, no doubt. IMO, he wasn't the best QB in the draft, I still like Manuel better as a prospect. But he's definitely worth taking a shot on in the 2nd round, especially considering they didn't use one of their top 2 picks to get him.

Even if the worst case scenario were to happen, and he shows absolutely nothing at all, the Jets can draft a 1st round QB next year. The reward definitely outweighs the risk.

I agree with this. Like I said, I'm not hating him. I don't see him as a top 10 prospect, but I'm ok with him in the 2nd.

And Im not scouting his "stats" I'm watching his game and watching Austin turn a 5 yard pass into 40 and a TD. It's a legit concern - not saying he's doomed, just saying its a concern.

how is hitting Austin 5 yards in and him scoring a 40 yard TD a concern, if anything it shows he can hit his receivers accurately so they can make plays with the ball

he said himself "I'm a facilitator, my job is to get my guys the ball so they can make plays"

Right, every QB does that last line. It's a concern Bc he no longer has Austin and bailey and he's playing in the NFL. Like I said about 4 times now, I'm not against him, just not blown away by him. I get that you really like him, but to say that losing his playmakers and moving to the NFL doesn't concern you is foolish. Not saying he can't adjust I'm just not 100% sold on the guy.

Again its not like he's coming in and running the same offense he ran in college. Marty is going to build the system around him and Holmes and Kerley are NFL WR's similar to Austin and Bailey

I'm concerned about him as well, like I am with any QB we've put our future in but every QB has come to the league and not had the guys that made them look good and have adjusted. Austin and Bailey didn't make Geno what he was remember that

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
rampantjet

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
rampantjet wrote:
I watched a ton of video on this years QB class, and while i'll admit this wasn't the best class ever, I honestly thought Geno was the best at going through his progressions when he HAD to. Obviously on a bubble screen or a tap pass you never get that opportunity, but when they dropped him back he often got to his second or third option.... true story.

But it's also true that he did it against Big 12 defenses with NFL talent at his WR positions.

I still see it as a good move getting him where they did, but every prospect comes with concerns.

I see what you're saying but so did RG3, confrence isn't everything.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I never cared about the conference any prospects came from. Rogers played against the Pac 10, Brady & Brees played big 10, big Ben played Mac conference.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to confrence, I actualyl can't think of to many good NFL QB's lately that have come from the SEC..... Cam Newton, and.... thats all I got right now. Maybe I am having a brain fart someone help me out.
JMG

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
In regards to confrence, I actualyl can't think of to many good NFL QB's lately that have come from the SEC..... Cam Newton, and.... thats all I got right now. Maybe I am having a brain fart someone help me out.
Matt Stafford.

[]_[] Family
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
rampantjet wrote:
Matt Stafford.

True, but still you would expect the SEC to produce more top flight QB's sicne they are viewed as the top confrence. I think with QB confrence matters least. The SEC produces linemen, pass rushers and skill position guys at an insane rate, but QB's seem to come from everywhere.
green24

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:

Cam Newton
Matt Stafford
Jay Cutler
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning
JMG

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
JMG wrote:
rampantjet wrote:
Matt Stafford.

True, but still you would expect the SEC to produce more top flight QB's sicne they are viewed as the top confrence. I think with QB confrence matters least. The SEC produces linemen, pass rushers and skill position guys at an insane rate, but QB's seem to come from everywhere.
Well what QBs as of late have became franchise QBs from other conferences? Let's hear what you think then compare.

[]_[] Family
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked that Holmes said Sanchez is the QB. If he really didn't like Mark, he could have quietly rooted for another qb to take his spot. Even though I don't think Mark will be the starter, I like the fact that he said something positive for someone who struggled so badly.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG III was on a different level as a prospect than Geno. But my point is that defenses in the Big 12 aren't exactly top flight defenses so you have to take any statistics with a grain of salt.

I think the reason there hasn't been a huge influx of SEC QB's in the past is simply the style of offense that has been traditionally run in the conference. It's a power conference with a focus on battles in the trenches. But that's changing. More pro and spread offenses are coming in.

- Cliff Burton
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to take Garrad off the title now.

I think the competition will come down to Geno Vs Sanchez. I just have a hard time seeing McElroy doing that well in this system.

Quote:
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hear a former NFL scouts take on the Jet's draft, Dan Shonka appeared on Primesportsnetwork yesterday for about 45 minutes. He breaks down everything from Geno to the UDFA's. Jason from Jetscap also gives an update on the Jet's cap situation.

http://phoenix.xyzmp3.com/player?server=rtmp%3A%2F%2F66.135.58.148%3A2132%2Flive%2F_definst_&stream=mp4:cloud-sa/obj/4b0ab729a6accb08050ca35f320afd051927b70ed0c7/op/play.mp4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: