Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

topic of fast wideouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D#1MIA305

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: topic of fast wideouts Reply with quote

If the dolphins are in search of fast wide outs and looking to add speed, Terrell sink field and jasper Collins are two UDFA that brings speed and skills so outside of Wallace and Gibson, even if Hartline sign a new contract, he is trade able, Matthews is just not fast enough, and fuller maybe maybe NOT.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathews is my favorite breakout player. He has a knack for making himself known. I do think that the 5 and 6 spots are on the table with Binns as the favorite. Sinkfield was one of my favorite pick-ups.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they want to keep Hartline for the foreseeable future because Tannehill already has good synergy with him.

FF Member #67
bpastermack

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Hartline and Mathews don't have incredible straight line speed, but they are fast and very quick, which is more important than straight line speed.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed is nice to have in an offense and having a guy like Wallace (who is more then just a burner) will keep defenses honest and hold the safeties back a bit, but the Dolphins don't need every WR to be that fast. Having a nice compliment of players will have a bigger impact. The key is finding guys that can play all the WR positions so the team can run the fast pace offense that Philbin wants.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many WR's are we keeping on the roster? I think we only had 5 at any point during the season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Wallace
Hartline
Gibson
Matthews (he'll stick)

That leaves one more, and maybe one for the PS.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think this suggestion was given much thought. There's nothing wrong with having high hopes for an UDFA, but the roster spot you want to sacrifice is Brian Hartline's ? No bueno.

1. I'm going to assume that you are using more than speed as the criteria here. Maybe you didn't finish what you had to say.

2. Have you seen the tough catches Hartline has made over his career. He works that sideline like few others. His body positioning and hands are elite status.

3. His route running is something that Tannehill depends on heavily. He's not a burner (obviously) but he sells routes other than the one he's running as good as anybody.

4. You will see his value if he has a healthy 2013 because he will not be facing the other teams strongest DB. He will definitely use that to his advantage.

I think he's our 2nd most important receiver. So, no i'm not giving him the trade bait label just to have burners at every position. This isn't track & field.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Tetsuya_Ryuji

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
i don't think this suggestion was given much thought. There's nothing wrong with having high hopes for an UDFA, but the roster spot you want to sacrifice is Brian Hartline's ? No bueno.

1. I'm going to assume that you are using more than speed as the criteria here. Maybe you didn't finish what you had to say.

2. Have you seen the tough catches Hartline has made over his career. He works that sideline like few others. His body positioning and hands are elite status.

3. His route running is something that Tannehill depends on heavily. He's not a burner (obviously) but he sells routes other than the one he's running as good as anybody.

4. You will see his value if he has a healthy 2013 because he will not be facing the other teams strongest DB. He will definitely use that to his advantage.

I think he's our 2nd most important receiver. So, no i'm not giving him the trade bait label just to have burners at every position. This isn't track & field.

^^ what he said.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're talking about Hartline, an oft-overlooked fact is that he and Tannehill built that impressive rapport in spite of the fact that they never practiced together until the Tuesday before opening day.
D#1MIA305

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it ever occur to you that the reason why Tanny hill was sacked so much is because his Wars could not get open and teams started pressing Hartline and Bess
Tetsuya_Ryuji

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D#1MIA305 wrote:
Did it ever occur to you that the reason why Tanny hill was sacked so much is because his Wars could not get open and teams started pressing Hartline and Bess

It was more of the O-line, and Tanny not finding the open receiver because he was locked onto his receivers from the time he got the ball. Hartline/Bess didn't have much trouble getting open, and that's with Hartline having he #1 DB from the other team covering him. Speed receivers don't get open any faser, if anything the quick/fast ones like Hartline are open before your speed receivers. Plus you only need 1-2 that are fast. Why try getting rid of a player that catches almost everything thrown a him? A guy that gets open and makes big plays for us on a constant basis.. I'm shocked at how underestimated Hartline is by some fans. He won't break tackles and he won't outrun the defense, I get that, but he's worth every penny we're paying him and is one of the best #2 WR's you can get in the NFL.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D#1MIA305 wrote:

Straight line speed doesn't have much to do with getting open on 95% of plays. Agility, route running, short area quickness do.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed isn't everything, but it is something. Lou Holtz once quipped "Would you rather have a slow guy or a fast guy running in the wrong direction?"

Point being a fast player running the wrong way is going to be more out of positon than a slow guy. Speed can be a tool but it has to be used properly. We've certainly added speed, but we sacraficed, at least on defense, experience. The question will be can the coaches get these young guys on the same page and working together. On offense, speed will be useful, but less useful if the offensive line can't give Tannehill time in the pocket to complete passes to the fast guys.

In general, I am glad we added the speed that we did. I think its a solid asset, but it has to be harnessed and coached well.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I think they want to keep Hartline for the foreseeable future because Tannehill already has good synergy with him.
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

This is what I was thinking when I read the first post, regardless if I agree with it or not.

Adopt a Phins 14, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
(14 Season Week-11 )
65.4% CMP - 2354 yards -17 TD's - 7 INT's - 92.2 Rat /RUSH 261 Yards 37 Atmts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: