Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Catching Lightning in a Bottle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Catching Lightning in a Bottle Reply with quote

The title is a bit over-the-top, but it looks like for the first time in a LONG time we have a backup quarterback that has some degree of aptitude in Matt Blanchard. Given all of the bad luck we have had historically with quarterbacks, even having a middling guy who was just short of good enough to be a starter in the league would be a major coup for us. I have tempered my expectations, but it would be nice to see him being consensus-worthy of the 53 man roster....or maybe even develop into (gulp!) a quarterback of the future.

Of course, I would be happy for any of these guys, including the draftees to succeed. However, him and Dale Moss are a couple of guys who I kind of quietly root for as underdogs. Moss is a bit of a workout warrior who had very little football experience, but proved to be fast to develop at a lower level of competition since his basketball skills transferred well for him.

There have been Soooo many swings with misses that it would be nice for us to finally pick up a 'freebie' here and there. I would think this mentality is why some seemingly root more for the undrafted guys than higher draft picks.
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Catching Lightning in a Bottle Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
The title is a bit over-the-top, but it looks like for the first time in a LONG time we have a backup quarterback that has some degree of aptitude in Matt Blanchard.

There's something to this kid, isn't there?

I like his win/loss record in college (undefeated), D-III be damned.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Catching Lightning in a Bottle Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
The title is a bit over-the-top, but it looks like for the first time in a LONG time we have a backup quarterback that has some degree of aptitude in Matt Blanchard.

Yeah, he at least is worth keeping an eye on. Although it is a limited sample, seeing a couple of his passes gives me a bit of optimism. One thing is for sure, we have a hell of a lot better chance of developing him with the new regime. Overall, our coaching staff has improved even if we did lose a couple of excellent coaches. I really like what I see so far. If we finish above .500 this year, I see good things for the future. I think we have the potential to do much better than that, but it is not fair to hold that high of an expectation when a complete changeover occurs in both personnel and coaches. I am still very optimistic over the long term, nevertheless.
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Catching Lightning in a Bottle Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
G08 wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:

Yeah, he at least is worth keeping an eye on. Although it is a limited sample, seeing a couple of his passes gives me a bit of optimism. One thing is for sure, we have a hell of a lot better chance of developing him with the new regime. Overall, our coaching staff has improved even if we did lose a couple of excellent coaches. I really like what I see so far. If we finish above .500 this year, I see good things for the future. I think we have the potential to do much better than that, but it is not fair to hold that high of an expectation when a complete changeover occurs in both personnel and coaches. I am still very optimistic over the long term, nevertheless.

Honestly man, I just want to have a 21st century offense. A cutting edge, innovative offense. Pushing the limits and lighting up scoreboards. I'm willing to be patient but I'm a demanding guy so we'll see how long that blasts Laughing

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Catching Lightning in a Bottle Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
The title is a bit over-the-top, but it looks like for the first time in a LONG time we have a backup quarterback that has some degree of aptitude in Matt Blanchard. Given all of the bad luck we have had historically with quarterbacks, even having a middling guy who was just short of good enough to be a starter in the league would be a major coup for us. I have tempered my expectations, but it would be nice to see him being consensus-worthy of the 53 man roster....or maybe even develop into (gulp!) a quarterback of the future.

Of course, I would be happy for any of these guys, including the draftees to succeed. However, him and Dale Moss are a couple of guys who I kind of quietly root for as underdogs. Moss is a bit of a workout warrior who had very little football experience, but proved to be fast to develop at a lower level of competition since his basketball skills transferred well for him.

There have been Soooo many swings with misses that it would be nice for us to finally pick up a 'freebie' here and there. I would think this mentality is why some seemingly root more for the undrafted guys than higher draft picks.
Huh? You have "tempered your expectations" to just expect him to make the 53 man roster?

Should he make the 53 man roster it would greatly exceed the expectations of almost everyone here.

I agreed it would be great for us to have some luck and catch lightening in a bottle, it would be exponentially greater should it even be a QB. We are LOOOONG overdue.

I think all of us have a soft spot for the longshots and underdogs. My first with the Bears was Virgil Carter.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Catching Lightning in a Bottle Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:

Huh? You have "tempered your expectations" to just expect him to make the 53 man roster?

Should he make the 53 man roster it would greatly exceed the expectations of almost everyone here.

I agreed it would be great for us to have some luck and catch lightening in a bottle, it would be exponentially greater should it even be a QB. We are LOOOONG overdue.

I think all of us have a soft spot for the longshots and underdogs. My first with the Bears was Virgil Carter.

My intended meaning of the statement was to say it would be nice if he did make the 53 man roster, despite my tempered expectations. With that being said, it would not be shocking for him to do so. At least based on my view, I would categorize it more as a pleasant surprise. I'm splitting hairs, though. Let's put it this way, I would be much more surprised if they just completely cut him loose than for him to remain on the practice squad or make the roster.

However, I think if he goes back on the practice squad there is a good chance someone eventually poaches him, as they did with Dan LeFevour a few years back. So, I am of the opinion that if they value him enough to keep him around to develop, they need to make room on the 53 man roster. That would mean he would have to be our second QB. Admittedly, expecting him to be our second QB is a stretch. It all depends on what he shows them and how confident Trestman feels in the coaching staff's abilities. I'd feel better if these guys tried and failed than some of the clowns we have had 'developing' talent in the past, though.
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Blanchard would get poached from our PS unless he shows a lot in the preseason.

WindyCity wrote:
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Catching Lightning in a Bottle Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:

My intended meaning of the statement was to say it would be nice if he did make the 53 man roster, despite my tempered expectations. With that being said, it would not be shocking for him to do so. At least based on my view, I would categorize it more as a pleasant surprise. I'm splitting hairs, though. Let's put it this way, I would be much more surprised if they just completely cut him loose than for him to remain on the practice squad or make the roster.

However, I think if he goes back on the practice squad there is a good chance someone eventually poaches him, as they did with Dan LeFevour a few years back. So, I am of the opinion that if they value him enough to keep him around to develop, they need to make room on the 53 man roster. That would mean he would have to be our second QB. Admittedly, expecting him to be our second QB is a stretch. It all depends on what he shows them and how confident Trestman feels in the coaching staff's abilities. I'd feel better if these guys tried and failed than some of the clowns we have had 'developing' talent in the past, though.
I am fairly sure he will be on the PS. If we want to keep him he can't be poached since we can always to him on the 53 if he is claimed by another team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: