Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game - Are you smarter than John Elway?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Game - Are you smarter than John Elway? Reply with quote

As we have done in previous years,

Da rulez!!!1!!!!

1. Post your dream Broncos draft class, as if you were drafting in real time
2. Pick the player you would have taken at 28, then when it comes to the second round pick, you again pick the player YOU would have taken, based on who you got in round 1, etc etc.
3. You have the benefit of hindsight in knowing who available at that spot, however you do not have the benefit of hindsight for later picks. Don't shy away from the guy you wanted in round 3 simply because he was available in round 5.
4. We will look back at this thread in a few years to see who had good drafts.
5. You cannot invent trades, however in instances where Denver actually did make a trade you can choose either to execute the same trade or keep our original picks.
6. Try to explain your selections if possible.

Here's my effort.

28: Jonathan Cyprien, Safety, Florida International
He was my highest player left on the board that didn't have any red flags. 28 was really a toss up between him and Tank Carradine for me.

58: Damontre Moore, Defensive End, Texas A&M
By far my highest player who made it to 58. I had an early second round grade on Moore and his character concerns were the only thing to keep him out of my top 15.

80. Johnathan Franklin, Running Back, UCLA
I said before the draft that our first three picks should be used on a pass rusher, a Running Back and a Safety so Franklin can complete this set. IMO he's as good a runner as Montee Ball with far less mileage on the clock.

***I keep the trade with the Packers***

146. Jordan Mills, T, Louisiana Tech
I've made no secret of the fact I love Quanterus Smith, but the Damontre Moore selection makes that pick a no-no I reckon. Mills was my best player left on the board and fills a huge need at swing tackle.

161. Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
He fell to the 7th, but I thought Poyer would have been good value in the early third round, let alone the tail end of the 5th where I've slotted him here.

173. Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
Double up at the Running Back position should push both Moreno and McGahee off the roster. Ellington is another guy I had a third round grade on.

234. Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee
Top-100 talent with character concerns. Too good to pass up this low imo.
broncospride95

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 1: #28 Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina
I absolutely love this kid. Big DT's with his agility usually don't last until 28. DT was also a big need imo, so addressing it while getting great value makes for a great pick.

**Elway's- Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina**
No change.

Round 2: #58 Keenan Allen WR California
Not so much a pick based on need, but more on potential. IMO Allen is going to be the best WR from this draft and seeing him still on the board at our second round pick is a dream come true.

**Elway's- Montee Ball RB Wisconsin**
When this pick happened I was indifferent. I saw RB as a need, but there were other players I preferred at this spot. However, now I'm really happy with the Ball pick. He has great vision and explodes through the hole. Even though I'm a huge fan of Ball now, at the time of the draft I preferred Allen, so I'm sticking with Keenan Allen.

Round 3: #90 Sam Montgomery DE LSU
In the 3rd Montgomery is great value and fills a need. He may not be as explosive of an athlete as his counterpart, Mingo, but Montgomery is still more than capable as a DE.

**Elway's- Kayvon Webster CB South Florida**
At the time of the pick I had no idea about Webster, so I would not have made this pick. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad pick though. He has all the physical skills you would want. We just need to see if he can put it all together.

Round 4: #125 Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA
Good RB prospect and after he falls to the 4th, he represents good value. RB is a big need so I would address RB here. I would not take the Packers trade because I would not want to trade back over 20 picks and risk the top remaining RB's Franklin, Stacy, and Lattimore all not being there.

**Elway's- Quanterus Smith DE Western Kentucky and Vinston Painter OT Virginia Tech**
I like the Smith pick in Elway's version of our draft; he has a ton of potential as a pass rusher. I'm iffy on Painter. I think he could've been had later and he's extremely raw. Also there were other players I would've taken in his spot. In my draft scenario, I prefer staying at #125 and taking my top remaining RB than risk a run on RB's before our next pick 20 spots later.

Round 5: #161 Bacarri Rambo S Georgia
Leading up to the draft I had Rambo as a 3rd rounder. I also had safety as a need of ours. Getting Rambo at the end of the 5th is great value and fills another need. Rambo would fit in great with this defense. He is instinctual, versatile, and able to start right away. Great pick this late.

**Elway's- Tavarres King**
Late round developmental WR that can develop behind Welker, Decker, and DT. With my earlier pick of Allen, this would make King a waste of a pick.

Round 7: Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH)
Dysert has many tools you look for in a developmental QB and is a solid get in the 7th. Worst case scenario you wasted a 7th round pick. Best case scenario, he pushes Osweiler after Manning retires or is even better than Osweiler. Low risk pick.

**Elway's- Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH)**
No Change

So overall I addressed the following needs DE, DT, S, RB, WR depth. I didn't address CB or OT depth because imo no player in my draft would've represented better/equal value as the player I picked. I drafted BPA which just happened to address the majority of our needs.

Edit: For any of you interested in seeing how you drafted last year since it is the 1 year mark, here is the thread from last year. Granted it's still a little too early to completely judge your draft from the previous year, I thought it'd be interesting to see.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490366

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
broncos_fan _from _uk

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
Just popped in to see your reactions to the draft. I allways loved this game, although I personally write down a name as the broncos are on the clock.

Anyways here's what I had written down.

#28 take the Vikings trade get #52, 83, 102, 229

#52: Jamar Taylor , CB, BSU

#58: Montee Ball, RB, Wisc

#83: Jessie Williams, DT, Ala

#90: Alex Okafor, DE, Tex

#102: Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno St

#125: AJ Klien, Mike, ISU

#161: Ryan Swope, WR, TAM

#229: Alvin Bailey, Interior OL, Ark

#234: Tyler Bray, QB, Tenn

Anyways, I start my 6-9 month long med school application proccess on Wednesday so wish me luck and ill poke in again later in the summer.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but I see Moore as a huge bust in the NFL. Just not strong enough/physical enough to be an every down DE.

I'm usually pretty accurate picking NFL busts. Ask me in a year or two.
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, set an alarm to re-visit this in 3 years when we can fairly judge.

I'll give it a shot.

Elliot 1 - Sylvester Williams - DT was a strong position in a weak draft, and Sly may be the next best behind Star. In a bad draft if you want to get first round worth out of a bad class, taking one of the best players at one of the most talented positions is the way to do it. Taking that talent at 28 is even better.

Elway 1 - Sylvester Williams - Agreement.

Elliot 2 - Larry Warford - G - The guy just moves bodies. Might not be a year one starter, but we're lacking depth on the interior with Kuper's health in question. With Zane Beadles likely to command more money than he's truly worth on the open market, we dont skip a beat having Warford ready to play left guard to start 2014, hell we might improve the position and our cap situation with that scenario.

Elway 2 - Montee Ball - RB - I'm never going to agree with taking a running back this early, and Ball's got too many carries for my taste with a pick this early. That said, I'm still excited to see what Ball can do at the pro level.

Elliot 3 - Quinton Patton - WR - Patton is a sound receiver in all aspects. No clue why he fell, maybe because he played at La Tech and not in the SEC. Either way, Jonathan Banks said Patton was the best receiver he faced in college. Patton solidifies us with quality depth in case of any injury as he can play outside or in the slot. Sure handed and a precise route runner.

Elway 3 - Kayvon Webster - CB - I just am still not comfortable with this pick. He seems like he's got the athleticism to cover, but no ball skills. Still looks like a reach to me.

Elliot 5a - Zac Stacy - RB - Really good player on a not so good team. Nice vision, cut ability, lacks breakaway speed but an all SEC back who did it with a not so great supporting cast, and less miles than a guy like Montee. Entire career over 5ypc.

Elway 5a - Quanterrus Smith - Like this pick, just like Stacy more, think he can have more impact, where Smith will be a situational pass rusher only, but a good one.

Elliot 5b - Brandon Jenkins - Put up huge numbers as a sophomore at Florida State - 21.5 tfl, 63 tackles, 13.5 sacks, including a 3 sack game against first rounder Anthony Castonzo. Defenses keyed on him his junior year and his numbers slipped, 41 tackles, 12 tfl, 8 sacks, this is the year Bjoern and Take also began to emerge. With those two to take some pressure away he was in line for a bounce back but was injured in the first game which he had a sack in. Declared, didn't test great, and isn't a big body, or have elite speed. Long arms, knows how to get to the passer from the edge, and wont see any double teams in pass rushing situations with Von on the other side.

Elway 5b - Tavarres King - WR - I like this pick, but I addressed WR earlier.

Elliot 6 - Bacarri Rambo - S - Ballhawking safety with good instincts. Mike Adams is aging, and Quinton Carter missed a year of development. Rambo might eventual pair well deep with Rahim in the box more.

Elway 6 - Vinston Painter OL- Super raw, will be way more a project than Rambo, and I addressed OL in round 2.

Elliot 7 - Sheldon Price - CB - 4 year starter in pac 12 for UCLA. Needs to get in weight room and fill out his 6'2 frame a bit more (only 180). 4.4 speed to go with his height make him an ideal developmental candidate at cornerback, and great value in the 7th to mold a guy with his size, starting experience, and athleticism.

Elway 7 - Zac Dysert - QB - Don't dislike this pick, but I'd be comfortable with a journeyman 3rd qb for a year and then selecting a late rounder in next years draft, which should be stronger at QB.
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to make another rule.

You can't pick a player the Broncos drafted but in a later round.
You only can take him at the spot he was taken or sooner.

Example: Drafting Sylvester Williams in the second round. (you can only draft him in the first)
Drafting Montee Ball in the third round. (You can only draft him at 58 or sooner)
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Nelson#1 wrote:
I'd like to make another rule.

You can't pick a player the Broncos drafted but in a later round.
You only can take him at the spot he was taken or sooner.

Example: Drafting Sylvester Williams in the second round. (you can only draft him in the first)
Drafting Montee Ball in the third round. (You can only draft him at 58 or sooner)

Agree.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28: Sly Williams - It is tough to disagree with this pick. I was gonna go Patterson but that would have been just to be different. Williams was arguably BPA at a real position of need, and a position where instant impact is all but guaranteed. I keep that pick.

58: Tyrann Mathieu - Ok I'll be honest I don't love this pick here or even like it, but I wanted to go CB here and it was between Mathieu or Alford. Mathieu is sexier so I just went with him - I don't know if I would make the same pick if we really had to keep him, but whatever.

80. Alex Okafor - Quality DE, he starts for us, great value, all I really need or want to say about that.

***I get rid of trade with the Packers***

125. Marcus Lattimore - I would have preferred this pick 10000 times to 1 over Montee Ball. Sure he may not be great at the start of the season but I'm pretty confident in Peyton's ability to get us to the playoffs without him Laughing Then once playoffs hit we get a VERY elite HB - and one who could be an amazing relief for Osweiler in the future.

161. Bacarri Rambo - He was my man crush before the draft. His name alone merits his place in my re-draft, his "Running Around Being A Bad-A$$" style of play solidifies it. Guy plays hard and hits hard. Nothing not to love.

234. Marquess Wilson - Better receiver than King and a couple rounds later. Statistically in college this guy was an absolute MONSTER. And going into the year he was rated in that 1st/2nd round range! He had a falling out, but that could be attributed to having a potential tyrant of a coach in Mike Leach. Bottom Line: Any receiver who can grab 82 receptions for 1,388 yards and 12 touchdowns in a good conference is worth the risk.

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Warford caught talent evaluators by shock when he said he's only a Right Guard throughout the process. So don't think about him as a 'Depth' signing.... He's a Right Guard.

My Draft:
Trade Pick 58 & a 2014 2nd to Buffalo for Pick 46.

28: Alec Ogletree MLB Georgia
46: Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State
90: Akeem Spence DT Illinois
125: Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA
161. Brandon Jenkins DE Florida State
234. Reid Fragel OT Ohio State
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't invent trades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: