Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why not add Charles Woodson?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDog19851

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the thinking of wanting to get young guys playing time because our time to compete for a sb won't be for a few years. I guess i would like to see us in a playoff game more than anything, and I think we are going to be around that 9-7 range next year, so one more win could be huge. I don't think he would start at safety for us but if someone did get hurt we would be pretty thin there. I see more off the field value with him than anything, we lost a lot of our team leaders, which may be for the better really, but I think he would help in that sense. Who knows if he even wants to come to Miami though. Was just thinking he's going to come pretty cheep, and fits the type of person Philbin wants. I am optimistic about the guys we do have in the secondary though, just think adding talent can never hurt. Someone did mention signing Jones as a priority and i totally agree with that as. As far as rolling cap over to the next year, I'm not sure how that works if someone would like to explain it.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling over is pretty simple. Whatever cap space is left after signing everyone this year can be applied to next year's cap. That's about it.

While I do think there's some benefit to having a skilled veteran around to help the young players along, I think it is frequently overvalued by fans and the media. Does it help? Sure, most of the time. But is it going to be the difference between that player succeeding or failing? Most of the time, no. For most players it's just a side note and something for reporters to write about.

As for Jones, I expect him to get the Jairus Byrd treatment. If he kills it again, he gets franchised, and a long term deal follows sometime within the next year.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
Rolling over is pretty simple. Whatever cap space is left after signing everyone this year can be applied to next year's cap. That's about it.

While I do think there's some benefit to having a skilled veteran around to help the young players along, I think it is frequently overvalued by fans and the media. Does it help? Sure, most of the time. But is it going to be the difference between that player succeeding or failing? Most of the time, no. For most players it's just a side note and something for reporters to write about.

As for Jones, I expect him to get the Jairus Byrd treatment. If he kills it again, he gets franchised, and a long term deal follows sometime within the next year.

I think people forget that players are there to be players, not help coach, not mentor a developing player....they are the to compete and that other player is competition for playing time.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

I think people forget that players are there to be players, not help coach, not mentor a developing player....they are the to compete and that other player is competition for playing time.

Howdy VM
You make a good point.
Personally I value his mentoring skills more than his play. That is to say Im not sure he has much left in the tank & hasn't he been injurred the better part of 2012...?

Man I just don't know what to say about CW at this point in his career much less what the level of cooperation or expectation his head is at.

sug
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

The Dolphins don't necessarily have a "mentoring" need.

The perfect mentoring situation can be found on the Cardinals.

They just drafted Tyrann Mathieu who has struggled = need.

They have Patrick Peterson who is more than familiar with Mathieu's old and new environments. Combine that with a strong locker room presence due to guys like Larry Fitzgerald and there you have the appropriate scenario.

We don't know Charles Woodson. Dude may be bitter. He may still be haunted by the AFC championship game against the Patriots and or the fact that after everything he's been through, he ends up on a team that didn't even make the play offs. (us)
We cannot assume that he will be a positive just because he's over 35 and has rings.
The best mentors are already on the team when the rook arrives. They don't arrive together.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
SUG

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Howdy VM
You make a good point.
Personally I value his mentoring skills more than his play. That is to say Im not sure he has much left in the tank & hasn't he been injurred the better part of 2012...?

Man I just don't know what to say about CW at this point in his career much less what the level of cooperation or expectation his head is at.

sug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: