Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams Prospect Profile: CB Brandon McGee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Rams Prospect Profile: CB Brandon McGee Reply with quote

CB Brandon McGee (5'11"/193) - Miami

Combine Results:

"Experts" Take:
Rob Rang wrote:
Strengths: Adequate size, build and strength for the position. Smooth hips to easily turn his frame and adjust on a dime. Patience, controlled footwork, playing with confidence. Nice job locating, highpointing and getting his hands on the ball in coverage. Nice job in pursuit to chase and close with accurate angles. Feisty and tough with very good effort to rip the ball out. Good playing experience and production.

Weaknesses: Good, but not great, speed and can get beat vertically. Too much contact downfield and needs to do a better job with his hands and body positioning, often making it too easy for the officials to call pass interference. Room to improve his transitional technique and discipline. Inconsistent open-field tackler and doesn't have great strength to always finish once he initiates contact. A few questions regarding his competitive nature and coachability.

NFL.com wrote:
STRENGTHS Typical Miami cornerback with quick feet and good straight-line speed. Quickness evident waiting for receiver to make his move off the line, can stick with hitch routes effectively. Fluid hips help him transition well, flips open quickly to keep up down the sideline. Good recovery speed and is effective in trail over the middle. Competitiveness, and body control to knock away passes around the receiver without interfering. Shows violent hands to rip off receiver blocks in the run game, sticks his nose into tackles, wrapping when possible, on the edge and adds himself to piles. Plays boundary and field sides.

WEAKNESSES Has only adequate size for an outside corner. Will struggle to turn his head to find the ball at times. Leans back in his pedal too often, losing some traction when needing to plant to trail, or getting knocked out of position by contact. Needs to flatten his blitz angles, ball gets underneath him.

NFL COMPARISON Jason McCourty

BOTTOM LINE The next Miami cornerback with great speed to pique the interest of NFL scouts, McGee also presents enough size to stand up to NFL receivers on the outside. However, McGee had an up-and-down senior season, and was challenged and successfully beaten on numerous occasions. He was able to rebound his stock with a strong week of practices at the East-West Shrine Game.

Russ Lande wrote:
STRENGTHS - McGee has a good combination of height and bulk. He shows a great willingness to mix it up in the run and shows sound tackling technique. He uses his hands well to jam receivers at the line and and knock receivers off there routes. He has good quick feet to close on receivers which allow him to keep receivers from gaining yards after the catch.

WEAKNESSES - A big concern for Brandon is his inability to make plays on the ball or create turnovers, after only have 2 interceptions in college. He is much more of a straight line athlete and struggles to adjust in space especially on double moves. Receivers with elite speed can easily get over the top of him and make big plays. Lacks great instincts when ball is in the air.

SUMMARY -Brandon McGee is a three year starter at the cornerback position for this Hurricane Defense. He is an extremely physical corner and is at his best when in zone and in run support. He shows good athleticism, with solid speed but is not a burner which causes him trouble on covering post routes or on double moves and needing to recover. He lacks fluid hips which is why he struggles to readjust in space. Overall, he is best suited to move to the safety position at the NFL Level. He would make a very solid late round pick but with his weakness in space he will have a hard time on special teams.

Videos:
Combine Workout
vs. Florida State (2012)

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering I have seen McGee the least out of all the Rams prospects, I went back and watched his games vs. UNC, Notre Dame, & Florida State.

* Looks like he could be a valuable piece on our special teams unit as a gunner. Has the speed & burst to escape the blocks right off the snap. Is almost always the first one to the ball-carrier.

* He has the hip flexion, fluidity, and foot quickness to mirror wide receivers all the way down the field. Natural pass coverage ability is apparent from watching his movements on the field.

* I saw him play press man, man, off-man, and zone coverage in college. Actually, watching his game tape, it's easy to see why the Rams drafted him. In terms of the coverages he played, he fits the Rams defensive scheme pretty well considering the Rams use a similar scheme.

* He is inconsistent. But a lot of this has to do with technique. I'm positive that the Rams can turn his mistakes around pretty quickly.

* Ball skills needs a lot of work. He failed to find the ball on multiple occasions, which scares me a little bit. When facing up against bigger and more physical receivers, he is going to struggle to win jump balls. Also, he's not really a playmaker from the corner position.

* Is a willing run stopper, but he doesn't really make too many plays on the football. He's not the type of player that you are going to find in the backfield a whole lot. He was used on blitzes, but besides that, he lived down the field and most of his tackles came 10-15 yards away from the LOS.

My NFL Draft Thread
vikes635

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is gonna be realy good for you

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards
Jonezy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikes635 wrote:

Do you know him well?

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the role he is expected to play, I have good feelings about him

^El Ramster^

If you're into hardcore/metal, check out my band: Portrait of a Prophecy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portrait-of-a-Prophecy/118264468260007
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikes635 wrote:

Excited to see how Fish uses his speed. Like what I've seen about him.

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford
159-262 1687 yards 14 TD 4 INT
titan52490

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me he was drafted just so he could cover faster slot WRs...

The Future of the Rams
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan52490 wrote:

And because we need depth at the position, plus he's supposed to be an excellent ST's gunner...

TommyC376 on the sig...
LGB-Let's Go Blues!!!
chris00cm

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
titan52490 wrote:

And because we need depth at the position, plus he's supposed to be an excellent ST's gunner...
This more than anything.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
titan52490 wrote:

This more than anything.

That's the one thing I heard Fisher mention. In fact he mentioned it like three times in two quick discussions about the draft.

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford
vikes635

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonezy wrote:
vikes635 wrote:

Do you know him well?

I Watch alot of hurricains but i dont know him personaly! He is a phisical corner with a high motor and enuf quickness to mirror underneath! Doesnt do a great job tracking the ball or playing instinctivly. Does have experience as a gunner on ST. A very willing tackler and i believe he will make your roster and contribute his negatives can be coached out i was hoping we landed him

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikes635 wrote:
Jonezy wrote:
vikes635 wrote:

Do you know him well?

I Watch alot of hurricains but i dont know him personaly! He is a phisical corner with a high motor and enuf quickness to mirror underneath! Doesnt do a great job tracking the ball or playing instinctivly. Does have experience as a gunner on ST. A very willing tackler and i believe he will make your roster and contribute his negatives can be coached out i was hoping we landed him

Sounds great! One things for certain with Fisher the coaching from top to bottom is the best the Rams have had in a very long time.

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
titan52490 wrote:

This more than anything.

That's the one thing I heard Fisher mention. In fact he mentioned it like three times in two quick discussions about the draft.

Yeah McGee is actually the best gunner I saw all year.

Didn't realize it until I re-watched the tape.

My NFL Draft Thread
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up on him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22227465/rams-rookie-cb-mcgee-out-to-make-an-impression

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: